Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moral Quandary about Scummy Ticket Seller, Advice Needed

E33Green

Sorry to post in the main forum but I knew I would get more responses here than in the classifieds.

So I was looking at the ridiculous ticket prices for the Cowboys game on Craigslist and came across an ad from a guy selling 2 tickets in the second row behind the Skins sideline and an Orange Pass for....wait for it.....

$3000 TOTAL!!!! :ols::ols::ols:

From my rough calculations (Mark and/or S&S feel free to correct me) this guy would be making $2,740 in pure profit on this single game!!!

But here's the kicker: the guy's ad said "REDSKINS FANS ONLY!"

I emailed him saying I would pay $3000 for the tickets but that I was a Dallas fan and promised to behave myself, etc. Surprise, surprise, he agreed to the sale within 5 minutes of me sending the email! I am waiting to get the exact Section, Row, and Seat numbers from him.

So here is my quandary: Should I report this scumbag to the Redskins ticket office and Craigslist? He is in violation of the Craigslist terms of agreement and the contract with the Redskins (all ticket resales are technically prohibited except through Ticketmaster).

Normally I wouldn't bother but the fact that he posted "REDSKINS FANS ONLY" and then agreed to sell them to me posing as a Cowboys fan within minutes infuriates me. Scumbags like this guy are the reason we see FedEx taken over by opposing fans. The fact that he is trying to make such a ridiculous profit for himself is just the icing on the cake.

This is all assuming that the tickets are actually in this guy's name, but it could be even better if they are his boss's or a friend's tickets. Could you imagine that convo: "Hey boss, you know those Skins tickets you gave me for Christmas? Well, I was greedy and tried to make a $3k profit by selling them on Craigslist. Now the Redskins have revoked your season tickets, sorry!"

Now I know there is a 99.9% chance the Redskins do nothing if I report this guy, but I just want to put the fear of God into him and make him think before he decides to sell seats 2 rows behind the Redskins sideline to Cowboys fans. I would love nothing more than to see this guy's tickets revoked and given to diehard fans that go to every game. What say ye Extremeskins?

Of course the seller is a lawyer by day...:ols::ols::ols:

EDIT: Guess I should clarify, the thought of reporting him would never have crossed my mind was he just trying to sell them for 3k to anyone. It's the fact that he put "REDSKINS FANS ONLY" but then had no qualms about selling to a Dallas fan. People like that should just turn in their fan card and start rooting for the Cowboys, Patriots, Steelers, or whatever the bandwagon/flavor of the month team is.

What an ass. If somebody offered me 3,000 dollars for my tickets I wouldn't sell them. I've never been to a meaningful game like this.

Gotta love somebody trying to take advantage of something like this. It's like something from an old college class of mine where a bus breaks down in the middle of the desert and one guy has a backpack full of water bottles. Should he be a good capitalist and sell them for the most profit he can?

There are tickets on stubhub around that price and people are buying them. Supply and demand.

I think the team allows it, considering they encourage you to sell and buy through stubhub.

Oh they definitely "allow" it, but if you read the fine print on the back of your ticket or the Skins website:

Resale of Tickets

Season ticket packages may not be advertised or sold at any price. Resale of individual tickets for all or most of the regular season is prohibited. Resale of individual tickets for individual games is only permitted through the Washington Redskins authorized fan-to-fan ticket marketplace, currently, NFL Ticket Exchange by Ticketmaster. Resale is not permitted on stadium grounds and may result in fine and/or arrest. Violation of these restrictions results in automatic termination of this license. The Account Holder is responsible for the actions of any individual using their ticket(s). Tickets will not be honored if found to be counterfeit, stolen or invalid.

This is obviously not enforced, but my guess is the team puts it in writing so they have just cause to revoke season tickets if they find someone in gross violation of the above rules. I think selling your tickets (to a "Cowboys" fan, no less) for a $2700 profit would qualify as a "gross violation."

A guy on my facebook feed is trying to sell 2 tickets in section 434, row 12 for 700$

I actually don't think that's as much of a ripoff as the guy I'm dealing with.

In these recessionary and fiscal cliff times, I'll never be mad at a guy for taking that kinda profit. Everybody's got a price. As Chris Rock would say, I don't condone it, but I understand. lol

Again, I have no problem with people selling their tickets for exorbitant prices. Sell Upper Level SRO for $500,000 apiece for all I care! Just don't UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES say "Redskins Fans Only" and then tuck tail and sell to the first Dallas fan that matches your ridiculous prices!

Seems like a pet peeve more than anything.

I emailed him saying I would pay $3000 for the tickets but that I was a Dallas fan and promised to behave myself, etc. Surprise, surprise, he agreed to the sale within 5 minutes of me sending the email! I am waiting to get the exact Section, Row, and Seat numbers from him...

Perhaps that was this guy's only goal...Don't embarrass me and you can have the tickets. The price seems outrageous, but the buyer sets the market. I'll watch the game at home for free (I'm also 600 miles away). :ols: :dallasuck

---------- Post added December-28th-2012 at 04:06 PM ----------

report them. greed kills

The OP wasn't complaining about the price as much as the Redskins fan only qualifier. The secondary market is a true open and free market. If you don't like the price, don't buy the tix.

Seems like a pet peeve more than anything.

Perhaps that was this guy's only goal...Don't embarrass me and you can have the tickets. The price seems outrageous, but the buyer sets the market. I'll watch the game at home for free (I'm also 600 miles away). :ols: :dallasuck

---------- Post added December-28th-2012 at 04:06 PM ----------

The OP wasn't complaining about the price as much as the Redskins fan only qualifier. The secondary market is a true open and free market. If you don't like the price, don't buy the tix.

I don't quite get why this is such a big deal. I get not wanting opposing fans in FedEx, and I don't like it anymore than anybody else. But to report him seems to be taking things a little too seriously. The seller's heart was in the right place. Like I say, for that kinda money, good intentions sometimes go out the window.

Update:

After I emailed him saying I would report him, he sent back a response begging me not to do so. Literally crawling on his knees, made up some sob story about needing the cash (checked out his lawyer bio online, believe me he does not need the extra cash unless he has a serious gambling problem or something) and promising me he would be at the game on Sunday cheering his lungs out. He also asked me "does this mean my tickets won't work if I try to use them on Sunday?" :ols:

My work here is done; I am not going to report him. He sounded genuinely contrite and embarrassed, and I think he got the message loud and clear: NEVER SELL YOUR SEASON TICKETS TO DALLAS FANS!!!!!

The team really doesn't care about the resale market. It benefits the Redskins really. If tickets consistently go for above face value, it encourages people to buy season tickets because they know they'll be able to resell the tickets if they can't go, and they won't be stuck with a $75/ticket loss. If tickets go below face value the team is making $75/seat on something that's really worth far less than that, plus people still show up, park, and spend money in the stadium.

They only put the verbage about reselling in the agreement so they can enforce egregious violations of this. For example, if scalpers owned 50% of the stadium, they could hold back tickets, control supply and keep their prices high -- don't laugh, I actually saw this happen at a Jaguars pre-season game. I was in town for work and wanted to check out the stadium. Scalpers weren't selling anything for less that $75/ticket. I got one down to $30 only because I was looking for a single seat. When I got inside, the stadium was half-empty. (Even if owning the whole stadium is an exaggeration, it's not impossible for scalpers to buy up and essentially control certain parts of the stadium).

I thought it was hilarious this summer that the Yankees were upset scalpers were reselling tickets for <$10 online claiming it was keeping them from selling similar seats for their face value ($30-$40). You know if they saw scalpers selling those same seats for $100-$150 they'd be just as upset.

That's unreal...

Both the price that he was asking for and how quickly he sold them to a "Cowboys fan."

Call me an idealist... I just feel better making someone else's day by giving my tickets to them or selling them at face value. This is just getting rediculous to me...

Well played, E33.

Call me crazy but I'd rather watch the game at home. On my own HD Television. Stand up when I want. Yell whatever I want and not have to pay a gross amount of money for a beer. Then to pay $3,000 for a pair of tickets or even $700 for a pair of upper level tickets.

Agreed. I know a guy who paid $900/ticket for lower level endzone tickets AT THE SUPER BOWL. These prices are unreal.

Archived