Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dealing with (problem) visiting fans in your section (MET)

fasttimes

For those more mature than me, you probably just ignore them. But last week we were at the DC United game sitting in front of a section of Columbus fans annoying the crap out of us.

They had the upper hand most of the game, but when the United finally salted away the victory, a bunch of us turned around and started taking flash of the visiting fans with our phones. Don't worry about the picture actually coming out, just make sure your flash goes off as much as possible.

Please apply this technique to Cowpie and dog murderer fans as you see fit.

If you have an issue with fans at FedExField, the procedure is to text SKINS to 69050, state your section and row and seat, and security will arrive shortly. This number is on signs in all four corners of the stadium between the upper level deck and the Executive Suite level.

Alternatively, you can phone 301 276-6100, but that may be difficult in the crowd noise.

First off, DC United and Major League soccer are a total joke. However with that said I'm in favor of anything that will get under the skin (within reason) of visiting fans. I get the fact that this is a transient area with people from other places and that furthermore people like to travel here with their teams because it's the nation's capital. However I'm tired of people thinking they can come here and own the place. One of the worst kept secrets in sports is that you can come to Washington and not only root for your team freely, but do so with 10-15K of your best friends to the point where you can almost run the place. And we've all heard the stories of hometown fans getting kicked out for getting into it with the invaders. There appears to be a certain arrogance among a lot of the visiting fans that come to games in this area, and I'm tired of it. So if there's anything that can be done to make their time here a little less jovial, I'm all for it.

And we've all heard the stories of hometown fans getting kicked out for getting into it with the invaders.

It's usually one sided stories told from the minds of supposed victims, then passed around via online forums and local media.

Sorry, but if an official feels the need to remove a patron from the building, that person is most likely guilty of something. I don't care what team they're rooting for.

First off, DC United and Major League soccer are a total joke. However with that said I'm in favor of anything that will get under the skin (within reason) of visiting fans. I get the fact that this is a transient area with people from other places and that furthermore people like to travel here with their teams because it's the nation's capital. However I'm tired of people thinking they can come here and own the place. One of the worst kept secrets in sports is that you can come to Washington and not only root for your team freely, but do so with 10-15K of your best friends to the point where you can almost run the place. And we've all heard the stories of hometown fans getting kicked out for getting into it with the invaders. There appears to be a certain arrogance among a lot of the visiting fans that come to games in this area, and I'm tired of it. So if there's anything that can be done to make their time here a little less jovial, I'm all for it.

I don't really agree with this statement. As paying customers the fans of visiting teams have just as much right to cheer on their team as any home fan. When I went to the game in Tampa this season we absolutely took over our section(139). We were loud and we were showing our colors. We didn't go after anyone individually but when opposing fans wanted to talk trash we fired right back (it was always in good fun).

If fans of another team want to travel to D.C. and spend their money on tickets (ultimately supporting our team and city) then they have every right to come in wearing their colors, cheering for their team, and having as much fun as anyone else. As long as they aren't picking fights or harassing other fans they aren't doing anything wrong and those same requirements should be extended to our own fans. I don't want to see our guys attacking other fans either verbally or physically. It's a game.

People travel for Major League Soccer games?

---------- Post added November-1st-2012 at 08:41 AM ----------

You can carry Kerosene in a flask and every time the other team scores a TD, you can douse the opposing fans with it and throw matches at them.

It's hysterically funny.

Or, you know, you can be an adult and recognize that you are at sporting event where each of you have paid several hundred dollars to be entertained.

You know what I hate? I hate when I'm at the symphony and ****es are talking about how great the woodwinds are. Strings for life, son!

I think it's fast past the point, with the repeated incidents of violence we keep reading on here from many different fans from a wide section of society, and not just Redskins fans; that football organizations started setting aside a separate, segregated area for visiting fans. And any known visiting fan, say wearing colors, that try's to enter the 'home' sections gets refused entry at the gate. You could also take this further and set aside whole blocks as 'family sections'; which would improve the game-day experience of those with children measurably.

It baffles me how such simple things to implement, to name but two, continue to go untapped in American stadiums. Even more so the more loutish fan behavior is becoming with each passing year.

Hail.

i've seen fights started for less.

I've seen starts fight because two shaky drunks got to close to each other. I think it would be better if instead of just the flash they actually took some pictures. "Smile nice and big for the camera, thanks for visiting DC!"

Flashing lights, that'll show em!!

Seriously though... if your team has won or is definitely going to win, why do anything? Let the game do the talking for you. Unfortunately it's not very often we as Redskins fans can use the score in our favor.

It's usually one sided stories told from the minds of supposed victims, then passed around via online forums and local media.

Sorry, but if an official feels the need to remove a patron from the building, that person is most likely guilty of something. I don't care what team they're rooting for.

Perhaps, and in no way am I in favor of violence against anyone by any means. However I've seen visitors starting to get on people's nerves (moreso at baseball games than Skins games but it happens all over) and then when the hometown guy responds he's the one that the ushers are catching. Furthermore, if you come on the road with your team you should expect to be taunted to a certain degree. A lot of visiting fans come in here and appear to take serious umbrage at the fact that Redskins fans have the nerve to taunt them. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

---------- Post added November-1st-2012 at 11:04 AM ----------

I'm not talking about people that root on their team or aren't causing trouble. I'm talking about people that start getting into it with Skins fans and start acting as if they own the place. As I said, there's a certain arrogance among a lot of people that come to our sporting events to root on the opponent. It's up to hometown fans to do something about that. I don't want someone to fear for their safety when they come to FedEx Field, but I do want them to ask themselves if they want to spend three hours listening to the taunts of Redskins fans. Instead it's the Redskins fans that are asking themselves if they want to subject themselves to three hours of sitting with Eagles fans (as an example) and listening to their taunts.

---------- Post added November-1st-2012 at 11:06 AM ----------

People travel for Major League Soccer games?

---------- Post added November-1st-2012 at 08:41 AM ----------

You can carry Kerosene in a flask and every time the other team scores a TD' date=' you can douse the opposing fans with it and throw matches at them.

It's hysterically funny.

Or, you know, you can be an adult and recognize that you are at sporting event where each of you have paid several hundred dollars to be entertained.

You know what I hate? I hate when I'm at the symphony and ****es are talking about how great the woodwinds are. Strings for life, son![/quote']

Part of the problem is that we treat is as "just a game." To fans of other teams (and some Skins fans like me), sports is a MAJOR part of life. Those people laugh at us when they come to our stadium and take over. That has to change, and if we're not willing to put our feet down it'll continue to get worse.

Well Columbus Crew traditional rivals(before NYRB). They still had playoff hopes too. Notice they picked seats in the far back of the endzone area away from the supporters sections. It was pretty hilarious for us fans in the Screaming Eagle, La Norte, DC Ultras, and Barra Brava section. Best way to make them shut up is score goals which we did. That and the chants completely covered them up everywhere else. You only heard them mouth off cuz you were sitting right in front of them.

Sidenote: Long time since I've seen so much beer fly in the air like it did the last goal. Don't you love how all the supporters know how to make their beer last after last call:ols:? We're masters ;)

Part of the problem is that we treat is as "just a game." To fans of other teams (and some Skins fans like me), sports is a MAJOR part of life. Those people laugh at us when they come to our stadium and take over. That has to change, and if we're not willing to put our feet down it'll continue to get worse.

But it is just a game. Sports are a major part of my life as you can see by the ridiculous amount of time I waste on this site. Hell I'm writing/designing my M.Arch thesis on stadium design. It's still just a game.

As fans we don't even need to be taunting visiting fans. There's nothing wrong with joking around with an opposing fan and giving them a hard time but they the idea that we should verbally abuse them to the point they may not want to attend is ridiculous.

Like everyone else I would prefer if our stadium would sell out to Redskins fans so we could develop a legitimate home field advantage. However if our fans don't want to buy the tickets then by all means anyone else has just as much right to do so. If they want to attend they deserve to be able to enjoy the game without having some moron a few rows back ruining their experience.

Be an adult, and the fact that is coming from a college student should tell you something.

Archived