Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Watch Collectors

HSW

I have always loved watches, especially dive watches. My budget does not always match my tastes but I am a huge fan of Seiko dive watches.

I just picked this one up yesterday.

SSC021P1-V175-0AD0Y-2.jpg?pimg=static&P=1325063976

I am thinking about replacing the rubber band with a black webbed nylon one.

That's sharp, man. I don't know a whole lot about watches, honestly. But I know what I think looks cool.

I had an old boss that was an avid collector. He must've had 200 or so. Original Mickey Mouses, the first (I don't know what they call them) watch that ran on kinetic energy or whatever. Several Rolexes. I didn't really understand what I was looking at, but he had some that were pretty sharp.

I'm currently debating on whether or not to purchase this watch:

Masonic Wrist Watch made by the Barclay Watch Co... they are releasing two fine quality watches priced below $400...

The Masonic (2,500 being made and released, numbered): http://current.barclaywatch.com/reviews/the-masonic/

The-MASONIC-new-web-photo.jpg

The watch is modeled after the famous Dudley Masonic watch from the 1920's. Absolutely beautiful watch. I've only seen one that a friend of mine received as a gift from his father.

The original Dudley...

DudleyPW4.jpg

That's sharp, man. I don't know a whole lot about watches, honestly. But I know what I think looks cool.

I had an old boss that was an avid collector. He must've had 200 or so. Original Mickey Mouses, the first (I don't know what they call them) watch that ran on kinetic energy or whatever. Several Rolexes. I didn't really understand what I was looking at, but he had some that were pretty sharp.

Thanks! Suprisingly you can get these models for less than a lot of Invicta models right now. Amazon seems to always have the best prices on them. This one only cost $230

---------- Post added October-3rd-2012 at 02:15 PM ----------

I'm currently debating on whether or not to purchase this watch:

Masonic Wrist Watch made by the Barclay Watch Co... they are releasing two fine quality watches priced below $400...

The Masonic (2,500 being made and released, numbered): http://current.barclaywatch.com/reviews/the-masonic/

http://current.barclaywatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/The-MASONIC-new-web-photo.jpg

The watch is modeled after the famous Dudley Masonic watch from the 1920's. Absolutely beautiful watch. I've only seen one that a friend of mine received as a gift from his father.

The original Dudley...

http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masonicmuseum/images/DudleyPW4.jpg

That looks amazing!

I have a German watch from WW2. It was given to me by my grandfather and given to him by a wounded German soldier who he took extra measures to save and get medical attention for. I wear it every day even though people in my generation don't really seem to wear watches anymore. It still works just fine and it looks something like this:

wwiilftwwtchglycovctbndobv.jpg

I have a German watch from WW2. It was given to me by my grandfather and given to him by a wounded German soldier who he took extra measures to save and get medical attention for. I wear it every day even though people in my generation don't really seem to wear watches anymore. It still works just fine and it looks something like this:

http://www.flyingtigerantiques.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/wwiilftwwtchglycovctbndobv.jpg

One day I hope I can afford a true heirloom quality piece to pass on to my grandchildren.

Always loved them also. Love autos but do have quite a few digital sport watches also (G-Shocks, etc).

Have a few that I rotate regularly depending on what I'm doing - TAG Carrera, Hamilton Khaki Field, a bunch of Suunto watches.

Just got the Suunto Ambit not too long ago. Amazing watch really if you're into outdoors/fitness watches.

I love watches! I have a Zodiac I really like. I also have 2 Tungsten Carbide Movado's, really the only Movado's I like. I also have the citizen Blue Angel Chronograph.

0604409.jpg

605992_1.jpg

JR3090-58L.jpg

Can't find a pic of the Zodiac, intersting tidbit though is the symbol on the watch is what earned the Zodiac serial Killer his name.

zodiackillerhood.gif

I have been wanting to buy a quality watch, but do not want to spend a lot. I would love to get a Tag or Omega, but obviously those are pricey. For $500 and under, what would you all recommend? Any brands to stay away from? I basically want a brand that has a good reputation and a watch that looks good.

Thanks!

I have been wanting to buy a quality watch, but do not want to spend a lot. I would love to get a Tag or Omega, but obviously those are pricey. For $500 and under, what would you all recommend? Any brands to stay away from? I basically want a brand that has a good reputation and a watch that looks good.

Thanks!

You need to ask yourself what it is that you like in a watch. For me, I have an heirloom and I wouldn't ever have it any other way. Even if I were to buy another watch I have specific criteria.

What kind of power source would you like? Personally my watch needs to be wound every morning when I wake up, but I love it. This thing would function after the end of the world, as long as I took the 30 seconds to wind it back up.

What material for the body? Steel, silver, gold, plastic/rubber, etc. You must know which one you think looks the best and would look the best on your wrist every day.

What material for the band? I'm not a metal band guy, not a rubber/plastic band guy, not a cloth band guy. Leather for me- but nothing aside from black leather. You must figure out what you like best.

What color/type of watch face do you want? This question encompasses a lot of other ones: Do you like a white, gold, black, etc. color for the face? Do you like printed numbering, numerals, a fancy look, utilitarian, or numberless (hate them personally)? Would you like any extra features such as a chronometer? Where would you like them to be located? Some people like a second hand that goes around the entire face of the watch, I love my watch where the seconds are measured on a tiny little dial in the bottom middle.

After you find what you want, then you can start looking at the brands and researching what does and doesn't seem to be a good buy for the price/brand name.

I would suggest going to amazon.com which will allow you to filter all of the criteria I mentioned quite well.

I have a German watch from WW2. It was given to me by my grandfather and given to him by a wounded German soldier who he took extra measures to save and get medical attention for. I wear it every day even though people in my generation don't really seem to wear watches anymore.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2O068g7trshsA_Qu1XvsXYtI3d4oo4xMOzT8b3o4Gfwe3lC47

Can't find a pic of the Zodiac, intersting tidbit though is the symbol on the watch is what earned the Zodiac serial Killer his name.

http://www.mysterycasebook.com/2011/zodiackillerhood.gif

i could be wrong, but i believe the zodiac killer just named himself the zodiac killer and used that crosshair symbol, but i'm not sure it was actually definitively linked to the watch (other than that suspect who owned a zodiac watch).

When I was a kid I used to wear a watch all the time. Now I rarely wear one because if I need to know the time I can look at my phone or computer or whatever. I do have a cheap Timex that I wear on occasion. However, I've never been a big jewelry fan and watches today aren't much more than that. That being said I do love antique timepieces. I inherited a gold pocke****ch from the 1880's which still runs, and I have various antique clocks. To me the mechanical movements can be works of art in themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Masonic watch I posted earlier finally arrived in the mail. The watch has completely exceeded my expectations... it is far more beautiful than any picture could do it justice. And if any of you thought about getting it, I can tell you from experience that you won't be disappointed. They could have priced it much higher. The artist/designer of the piece signs every one of them on the box. They are numbered in 3 places (the box, a certificate of authenticity, and etched on the back side of the watch). It's a solid watch with decent amount of weight (I point that out b/c I don't like lightweight watches).

tumblr_mc3qz7bU311rscawoo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mc3qz7bU311rscawoo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_mc3qz7bU311rscawoo5_1280.jpg

So the Masonic watch I posted earlier finally arrived in the mail. The watch has completely exceeded my expectations... it is far more beautiful than any picture could do it justice. And if any of you thought about getting it, I can tell you from experience that you won't be disappointed. They could have priced it much higher. The artist/designer of the piece signs every one of them on the box. They are numbered in 3 places (the box, a certificate of authenticity, and etched on the back side of the watch). It's a solid watch with decent amount of weight (I point that out b/c I don't like lightweight watches).

<snip>

That's terrific. Pretty incredible at that price.

I have an Omega SeaMaster (from a few years back) and bought it in homage to my Pops passing away. I'd post a pic were I not at work ;-) The watch has been amazing, never misses a beat and has a look that never goes out of style.

I love that watch! Slightly out of my budget still...

Archived