Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Fiscal Cliff thread.

Larry

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Link.

Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) on Monday announced that Democrats are willing to allow a slew of tax cuts and spending provisions to expire if Republicans refuse to raise taxes on the wealthy, potentially inching the country off a "fiscal cliff."

"If we can't get a good deal, a balanced deal, that calls on the wealthy to pay their fair share, then I will absolutely continue this debate into 2013, rather than lock in a long-term deal this year that throws middle-class families under the bus," Murray, a budget committee member and former co-chair of the debt supercommittee, said at a Brookings Institution discussion of the "fiscal cliff."

"Fiscal cliff" is a reference to the potential crisis faced by the government at the end of this year when the Bush tax cuts and other tax and spending provisions amounting to an estimated $600 billion are set to expire.

Oh, goody. That's just what this issue needs. Two Parties willing to use the threat of economic catastrophe as a bargaining ploy.

Way to go, Congress.

(Not that I expected any better, of course.)

Well I have wanted the Democrats to show some backbone for a while.....

So have I. But not this way.

IMO, the right way to play this issue is: Introduce a bill that will extend the Bush tax cuts for the "bottom 95%". With nothing else attached to it.

And make the Republicans publicly filibuster it.

(Heck, it's not like Congress can't do that, because it would interfere with all the important things that they're accomplishing. :) )

We have to increase tax revenue somewhere and since corporations aren't bringing the jobs back.....something has to give.

True. But you would hope that it wouldn't come at the expense of raising taxes on middle class and upper class families. Just upper class.

Considering nobody thinks taxes going up is Good for the economy and capable of taking us to negative to zero percent just for the top percent.

I would guess it would crush this already frustrating year if they just let it all happen at once.

So have I. But not this way.

IMO, the right way to play this issue is: Introduce a bill that will extend the Bush tax cuts for the "bottom 95%". With nothing else attached to it.

And make the Republicans publicly filibuster it.

(Heck, it's not like Congress can't do that, because it would interfere with all the important things that they're accomplishing. :) )

I couldn't agree more. But I guess there's the other part of me that says well, at least you/re starting to look like a functional political machine. Because their main problem has been that they're going up a masterful political machine. So for them to show that they actually are willing to make a political "powerplay" such as this, is a nice sigh of relief.

Not going with the T word yet?

Yes. Yes I will.

This "I'm going to harm the country if I don't get my way" is terrorism.

You can argue about who did it first, or who used which phrasing, or whatnot.

But no matter how you try to spin it, two wrongs don't make a right.

Again the Democrats don't have to do a thing.

Taxes are scheduled to go up across the board and on SSI January 1st, 2013.

Just run the ball and then down it in November and December. Politically speaking, if I am Harry Reid I close the Senate come December 1st unless Republicans meet all of my demands.

Needless to say, when I lose 450 dollars every 2 weeks I am going to be extremely unhappy.

True. But you would hope that it wouldn't come at the expense of raising taxes on middle class and upper class families. Just upper class.

Sooner or later the Bush era cuts have to end. How we legitimized those cuts while fighting two wars is still the stupidest thing we've done in a LONG time.

What I don't understand is why Dems didn't do this back in 2010?

Really the Dems have a key advantage here. They have to do NOTHING and taxes go up across the board.

They can just kill the clock

this is my take as well

oddly, if congress does nothing, we'll be in better shape fiscally. of course, this means congress will do something

Considering nobody thinks taxes going up is Good for the economy and capable of taking us to negative to zero percent just for the top percent.

I would guess it would crush this already frustrating year if they just let it all happen at once.

Having trouble grasping your first sentence. But I think I agree with your second.

Tax increases are bad for the economy. Always.

Spending cuts are bad for the economy. Always.

And raising taxes and cutting spending, all at once, in an economy as fragile as this one? That's even worse than usual.

But, it has to be done, eventually.

If I were in charge, my first action would be to extend the Bush Tax Cuts, on the "bottom 95%", for one year. (In fact, if I could somehow pass a rule saying that, one year from now, they can't be extended except by a 60% vote, in both houses? I'd do that.)

(And, I wonder if maybe extending the payroll tax cut might not have a bigger effect on the economy. I could certainly see that argument.)

Tribbles?

Trilobites?

Tools?

Tosspots?

Teabaggers Left?

Towelheads?...oh! I got it! Tewwowists!

Wait...

Trolls?

Either you are turning your backs on a problem which you do not wish to acknowledge, or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster represented by the presence of a pool table in your community.

I have met Murray a few times. She's one skilled politician.

Doesn't look it, from the picture in the article.

I agree with Larry that this is economic terrorism, albeit a slightly less severe form. With the debt ceiling the GOP was threatening to shoot the hostage. In this case the Dems are only threatening to shoot the hostage in the leg. It sucks either way and it's politics out of the same playbook.

That said I'll mostly blame the Dems if they don't play their hand right. They have all the leverage this time and if we don't come up with a decent mix of increased taxes and decreased spending, say 35%/65% respectively, I'll be really pissed.

We can't hinder middle class families from buying iPhones, Playstations and taking Disney vacations.

I think you and I have a very different idea of what a middle class family is. Seeing that your location is falls church (and IDK where you've lived all your life) I'll take it your assumption is that middle class families are those similar to that of the NOVA area. If you go down towards central and southern Virginia you'll find that there are many families who struggle (and really don't) buy any of those things.

It's the difference between upper middle class, and the rest of the middle class.

Dumb question:

If we just extend everything, if absolutely nothing changes on Jan 1st, . . . would that be all that terrible?

Me, I don't see any indication whatsoever that this economy is being held back by the deficit. (Quite the opposite, in fact. I would argue that the deficit is the onloy thing keeping it from being vastly worse.)

Considering the "tactical situation", it's possible that any deficit reduction would hurt the economy. (And I will observe that the economy is the #1 reason why we have said deficit in the first place.)

Should Congress simply punt, kick the matter down the road by a year, and hope that, a year from now, the economy is a little bit better, and we can start weaning the economy off of the deficit then?

Archived