Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SBnation.com "Redskins Unveil Throwback Uniforms To Commemorate 80th Anniversary"

Not sure i'm too crazy about em. Really wish they had gone in a different direction. Kinda reminds me of Boston College.

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/5/10/3012785/photo-redskins-throwback-uniforms

"Redskins Unveil Throwback Uniforms To Commemorate 80th Anniversary

by Brendan Porath • May 10, 2012 6:36 PM EDT

The Washington Redskins will commemorate their 80th anniversary this season by wearing throwback uniforms in two of the team's 16 regular season games. The Skins unveiled the Nike-designed throwbacks during Thursday night launch of a season-long 80th anniversary campaign. The most notable change is the helmet, which was designed to replicate the old leather versions used in 1932. Nike did an impressive job with the all brown helmets, which even replicate the leather texture when viewed up close."

Ryan_Kerrigan_Throwback_medium.jpg

Redskins_Uniform.jpg

EDIT:

Now take a look at Boston College....

bc-football.jpg

------------

ES Staff appended edit:

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

May 10, 2012

WASHINGTON REDSKINS UNVEIL NEW NIKE ANNIVERSARY UNIFORM

Innovative Uniform System Showcases a Modern Interpretation of the Redskins 1937 Uniform

ASHBURN, Va. – Today the Washington Redskins unveiled their new 2012 “anniversary” NFL Nike Elite 51 football uniform design at an event celebrating the club’s 80th Anniversary located in the indoor practice facility at Redskins Park.

Linebackers Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan were on hand to showcase the new look, unveiling the latest version of this highly innovative new uniform system. The jerseys will be worn in two games this season that will be announced at a later date.

Redskins’ owner Dan Snyder and his staff worked closely with Nike to create a look that spoke to the club’s unique heritage, while highlighting several key details that helped defined the team’s history. The alternate “anniversary” uniform is a balance between history and tradition featuring a rich darker color palate and updated numbering system. It is a modern interpretation of those worn back in 1937 - a year signifying the team’s move from Boston to Washington, D.C., as well as their first National Championship. The patch on the shoulder is one that was worn in early team history. The design also pays tribute to 1937 QB “Slingin” Sammy Baugh, who in his first year in the league led the newly relocated Redskins to their first National Championship.

“The Redskins are an amazing organization focused on team, unity and tradition. This new alternate uniform design for the Redskins is a very special one that truly speaks to the team’s long, rich history” said Nike Football Creative Director Todd Van Horne. “We have truly enjoyed working with Dan Snyder and his team on this project and look forward to seeing the new Elite 51 uniform system on the field this season.”

To complete the look, the helmet features a unique leather-like finish and the words “Team, Effort, Tradition” are embroidered on the inside of the neckline, serving as a reminder to each athlete of what it means to be a Redskin.

“In honor of 80 years of rich tradition this anniversary uniform displays our heritage” said Daniel M. Snyder. “We hope that it will bring back great memories to our fans.”

Designed and engineered from the inside out, the new uniform focuses on creating a system where the baselayer, padding, jersey and pant work in concert. Lightweight padding is also integrated directly into the crucial “hit zones” in the baselayer. New innovations include integrating Flywire technology into the neckline to reduce weight and provide lockdown fit over pads, increasing sleeve articulation for better range of motion, and integrating new four-way stretch fabrication to provide a streamlined shrink-wrap fit.

For more information and imagery, please visit www.NIKEInc.com, www.Redskins80th.com or follow us on Twitter at @Redskins or Facebook at www.Facebook.com/Redskins.

Not sure i'm too crazy about em. Really wish they had gone in a different direction. Kinda reminds me of Boston College.

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/5/10/3012785/photo-redskins-throwback-uniforms

"Redskins Unveil Throwback Uniforms To Commemorate 80th Anniversary

by Brendan Porath • May 10, 2012 6:36 PM EDT

The Washington Redskins will commemorate their 80th anniversary this season by wearing throwback uniforms in two of the team's 16 regular season games. The Skins unveiled the Nike-designed throwbacks during Thursday night launch of a season-long 80th anniversary campaign. The most notable change is the helmet, which was designed to replicate the old leather versions used in 1932. Nike did an impressive job with the all brown helmets, which even replicate the leather texture when viewed up close."

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1112226/Ryan_Kerrigan_Throwback_medium.jpg

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1112218/Redskins_Uniform.jpg

EDIT:

Now take a look at Boston College....

http://bostonsportsu18.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/bc-football.jpg

The redskins originally are from the Boston area before moving to Washington, correct? In fact, the redskins name came to commemorate the "redskins" of the Boston Tea Party. May be wrong not sure.

The redskins originally are from the Boston area before moving to Washington, correct? In fact, the redskins name came to commemorate the "redskins" of the Boston Tea Party. May be wrong not sure.

Hence my handle here and on twitter. :)

(and every fantasy team I'm on.)

I like the jersey a lot, and will get my Griffin one in this style. It'll be a nice commemorative of his rookie season.

And even though the helmet is kind of boring, I give the team props for making it look like leather. I wish the pants were the same color as the jersey's numbers.

I love this uniform. Very old school. I've already seen a lot of complaints about it elsewhere which I think is silly. The team's intent was apparently to somewhat replicate the uniforms from 1937 when the Redskins moved from Boston to D.C. I think the leather looking helmets are a great touch. Yes, they look much different then what we are used to. But, let's enjoy them!

LOVE the helmet. Did a great job with the faux leather look. Really amazing!

The helmet looks great unclose. I love that they did their best to make these uniforms a true throwback, and not some weird amalgamation of looks. Check out some really good pics of it on Twitter: @Rich_Campbell .

Anyone know which 2 games this year we'll be wearing these throwback uniforms? My guess would be one at home, and one on the road - maybe the Dallas Thanksgiving game?

They haven't already decided which home games they will be worn out, but they said it would be announced at a later date.

HTTR

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

May 10, 2012

WASHINGTON REDSKINS UNVEIL NEW NIKE ANNIVERSARY UNIFORM

Innovative Uniform System Showcases a Modern Interpretation of the Redskins 1937 Uniform

ASHBURN, Va. – Today the Washington Redskins unveiled their new 2012 “anniversary” NFL Nike Elite 51 football uniform design at an event celebrating the club’s 80th Anniversary located in the indoor practice facility at Redskins Park.

Linebackers Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan were on hand to showcase the new look, unveiling the latest version of this highly innovative new uniform system. The jerseys will be worn in two games this season that will be announced at a later date.

Redskins’ owner Dan Snyder and his staff worked closely with Nike to create a look that spoke to the club’s unique heritage, while highlighting several key details that helped defined the team’s history. The alternate “anniversary” uniform is a balance between history and tradition featuring a rich darker color palate and updated numbering system. It is a modern interpretation of those worn back in 1937 - a year signifying the team’s move from Boston to Washington, D.C., as well as their first National Championship. The patch on the shoulder is one that was worn in early team history. The design also pays tribute to 1937 QB “Slingin” Sammy Baugh, who in his first year in the league led the newly relocated Redskins to their first National Championship.

“The Redskins are an amazing organization focused on team, unity and tradition. This new alternate uniform design for the Redskins is a very special one that truly speaks to the team’s long, rich history” said Nike Football Creative Director Todd Van Horne. “We have truly enjoyed working with Dan Snyder and his team on this project and look forward to seeing the new Elite 51 uniform system on the field this season.”

To complete the look, the helmet features a unique leather-like finish and the words “Team, Effort, Tradition” are embroidered on the inside of the neckline, serving as a reminder to each athlete of what it means to be a Redskin.

“In honor of 80 years of rich tradition this anniversary uniform displays our heritage” said Daniel M. Snyder. “We hope that it will bring back great memories to our fans.”

Designed and engineered from the inside out, the new uniform focuses on creating a system where the baselayer, padding, jersey and pant work in concert. Lightweight padding is also integrated directly into the crucial “hit zones” in the baselayer. New innovations include integrating Flywire technology into the neckline to reduce weight and provide lockdown fit over pads, increasing sleeve articulation for better range of motion, and integrating new four-way stretch fabrication to provide a streamlined shrink-wrap fit.

For more information and imagery, please visit www.NIKEInc.com, www.Redskins80th.com or follow us on Twitter at @Redskins or Facebook at www.Facebook.com/Redskins.

eshead9sjpg.jpg

I need to see a side view and back view of the jersey but the jerseys are SWEET I will buy one. I'm not a big fan of the helmet. BUT WE NEED MORE PICTURES

EDIT: I am understanding the tribute with the helmet and for that fact alone im liking it a lil better.

Here's a phenomenal photo of the helmet, and I must say they didn't just make it look "somewhat" like leather, this thing is ultra detailed. Its actually so detailed that most people watching on TV will never really know, even in HD:

Redskins_Helmet.jpg

I think even if you aren't big on the uniform itself (I think its ok, not going gaga over it), you have to give credit to the helmet design and detail. No one has ever done this before, no doubt about it.

Archived