Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Running" Thread

Elessar78

Did a quasi-exhaustive search and found that there isn't an official thread for people who like to run and about running in general. I wanted to set up a thread to talk about, well, running, gear/shoes, injuries, motivation, racing, etc.

Anyway, did my first 5K of the season this past weekend and I have another two already lined up for July and August. Anyone else run here competitively or just for fun?

My wife is a competitive runner. I've been involved in youth coaching for a number of years and am getting a little more committed to running myself.

The current plan is to get out each day, as when I take a day off it usually translates into another and another and before I notice I haven't run for a week or more.

I'm currently on a 27 day running streak of easy running each evening, logging about 160 miles (I try to do about six each evening). My plan is to introduce some longer runs, build a base of easy running for 90 days and then do a specific 5k program (such as from Brad Hudson's book) and then actually enter some fall 5ks.

holy crud, that's great mileage!

I'm just getting back into it after a long layoff and forgot how much I enjoyed it. It's easy to get off track here, because of the long winters. It usually takes the first competitive race to get me back into the swing of things. My time sucked but it was probably the best race I've ran on this course in the past three years.

I should just be working on building a base, but I get greedy. I want to get my speed back so I tried running at race pace. Didn't last long, needless to say.

Running a 5k this weekend out in Falston MD for "Feed the Hungry" It will be my second 5K this year. Did "Run for Congo Woman" out in Fredrick this past spring.

Making plans to do the Baltimore Under Armour half marathon this Oct. Been training for a month now and will continue to during the summer.

I'm currently on a 27 day running streak of easy running each evening, logging about 160 miles (I try to do about six each evening). My plan is to introduce some longer runs, build a base of easy running for 90 days and then do a specific 5k program (such as from Brad Hudson's book) and then actually enter some fall 5ks.

HOLY Moley..thats a lot of running. Don't your legs ache like no other? You are supposed to take days off in between runs at least every once in awhile. At least that's what I have learned through multiple sources. How is your body holding up to this? Curious, and damn good job, but 5k's? sounds like you are ready for marathons.

Ran a lot in the Army...never for fun! Been running the Cherry Blossom and Army Ten Miler here in DC every year. They are spaced 6 months apart and keep from getting too far out of running condition. I am not fast so 5k's really don't do much for me.

ChiRunning is an interesting concept that I learned about recently. May be common sense for talented runners but was new for me. Two concepts that I was not aware of that turned out to be really helpful are mid foot strike instead of heel strike, and running cadence. Really interesting stuff for anyone looking to increase running efficiency(going faster with less effort).

I have also learned that quality running shoes fitted by people that know what they are doing are worth every penny.

I've been running for years. Unfortunately in recent years it has been a struggle, partially because I get very gassy when I run (belch a lot) and partially because I find it hard to breathe at times, especially when it is humid out. The former I'm trying to regulate by cutting down what I eat for lunch, but the latter is still a struggle at times. I'm on Albuteral for when I run, but I don't think it works all the time.

Ran a lot in the Army...never for fun! Been running the Cherry Blossom and Army Ten Miler here in DC every year. They are spaced 6 months apart and keep from getting too far out of running condition. I am not fast so 5k's really don't do much for me.

ChiRunning is an interesting concept that I learned about recently. May be common sense for talented runners but was new for me. Two concepts that I was not aware of that turned out to be really helpful are mid foot strike instead of heel strike, and running cadence. Really interesting stuff for anyone looking to increase running efficiency(going faster with less effort).

I have also learned that quality running shoes fitted by people that know what they are doing are worth every penny.

I saw something on Real Sports with Bryant Gumble about the new barefoot running fad. How do you figure out if you're a heel striker or midfoot? How long would you have to train to change your stride?

Yup, agree on the running shoes. I went to my local running store for the first time

last year and he put me in a nice pair of asics. Light, streamlined (less bulky) than other shoes. They were on sale too so I got it for under a hundred, so it wasn't too bad.

I go in phases of how much I run. Right now I barely do any b/c I don't want to burn any more calories then I have to. I do a lot of weight training and it's counter productive to what I'm trying to accomplish. However when I'm in running mode, I try to keep it at about 60 miles a month.

I saw something on Real Sports with Bryant Gumble about the new barefoot running fad. How do you figure out if you're a heel striker or midfoot? How long would you have to train to change your stride?

Yup, agree on the running shoes. I went to my local running store for the first time

last year and he put me in a nice pair of asics. Light, streamlined (less bulky) than other shoes. They were on sale too so I got it for under a hundred, so it wasn't too bad.

I've seen a few people running in these. Looks pretty goofy, but supposedly they're really good

http://barefootrunningshoes.org/vibram-fivefingers/

Vibram.jpg

Barefoot is a pretty risky proposition in my opinion. Great if you grow up that way...risky if your body(bones, ligaments, tendons etc) have grown accustomed to shoes. Probably something that should be a very gradual process if it is something you are considering.

I think you probably know if you land on your heel or midfoot. Most people tend to be heel strikers. One sure fire way is to look at the bottom of your running shoes. If the back edge are worn out then you probably are a heel striker. Depending on your current for and cadence they say it can take months to completely train yourself to run that way. I do it for periods of a run but definitely don't hold good form for an entire run

I still run some 5k fun runs and my wife and I do some muddy buddies.

I stick to sprint Tris though for longer events, 10k is just too much on my knees anymore.

Tri's are where it's at. So much more fun in my opinion than simply running. I try to mix in some sprints and oly distance. Contemplating someday doing a 1/2 IM. Better get to it soon I suppose.

Take a look at some Chi material. Did wonders for my knees.

I don't know how you distance runners do it. I tried running -only a mile- every day for a 3 month period, and it never got any easier. The last run I did was just as tiring and difficult as the first.

I played alot of sports growing up with no endurance problems...there's just something about running distances that is so hard.

I don't know how you distance runners do it. I tried running -only a mile- every day for a 3 month period, and it never got any easier. The last run I did was just as tiring and difficult as the first.

I played alot of sports growing up with no endurance problems...there's just something about running distances that is so hard.

I've never been a fan of running the same distance at the same pace day after day and expecting much improvement. First you have to stress your body in different ways, short/fast and long/slow runs as the most basic way...and then allow for recovery. Recovery is when your body actually gets better...not during the run

Barefoot running can be anything from a cult to a practical way of strengthening your feet.

As kids we ran barefoot on grass (and on the beach) and when you do you more naturally land on your midsole.

With big cushioned-sole trainers it's possible to land on your heels which acts as a breaking action and can also cause injury as certain parts of your legs take an undue amount of strain. An expensive shoe can mask the problem but sooner or later the chickens will come home to roost. But you can just as easily get injured running in minimal footwear or barefoot.

If anything, it will happen sooner. That said, I know serious athletes who do warmups or drills barefoot on grass to help strengthen the muscles in the foot.

But it doesn't take barefoot running to make you land on your midsole. When you run you can focus a little on that. For most people it's fairly natural to have the foot land under rather than in front of your body.

Worrying about cadence seems a little too artificial. If you avoid over-striding you will typically run in an efficient way.

Archived