Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Knowing

Toe Jam

This movie comes out next weekend. Looks good. Of course, I'm a big fan of disaster epics.

Here's the synopsis from Yahoo! Movies:

n 1958, as part of the dedication ceremony for a new elementary school, a group of students is asked to draw pictures to be stored in a time capsule. But one mysterious girl fills her sheet of paper with rows of apparently random numbers instead.

Fifty years later, a new generation of students examines the capsule's contents and the girl's cryptic message ends up in the hands of young Caleb Koestler. But it is Caleb's father, professor John Koestler, who makes the startling discovery that the encoded message predicts with pinpoint accuracy the dates, death tolls and coordinates of every major disaster of the past 50 years.

As John further unravels the document's chilling secrets, he realizes the document foretells three additional events -- the last of which hints at destruction on a global scale and seems to somehow involve John and his son. When John's attempts to alert the authorities fall on deaf ears, he takes it upon himself to try to prevent more destruction from taking place.

With the reluctant help of Diana Wayland and Abby Wayland, the daughter and granddaughter of the now-deceased author of the prophecies, John's increasingly desperate efforts take him on a heart-pounding race against time until he finds himself facing the ultimate disaster -- and the ultimate sacrifice.

Anyone else going to catch this?

Looks ok, don't know if i'd spend the money to go see it in a theatre, but it might be cool. Not a big fan of Nicholas Cage. He starts to annoy me after awhile.

On a side note, I just watched the trailer on imdb, and the part that shows the plane crashing on the highway, I had a dream about 2 weeks ago of me on a bus, like a greyhound bus on this highway overpass like 200 ft. above a ravine, and a plane was coming at the bus just like in the movie. The bus driver jerked the wheel of the bus, and we went over the guardrail into the ravine. I watched the plane miss a school bus, which I thought was cool, but I watched it crash into the ground just before I woke up. I remember being very pissed off that I was stuck in this bus, knowing i'm about to die, after avoiding a plane crash. I kept thinking I know this is going to hurt, I don't want to die this way. It was a ****ty dream. I'd forgotten about it, but watching that trailer just reminded me.

Looks ok, don't know if i'd spend the money to go see it in a theatre, but it might be cool. Not a big fan of Nicholas Cage. He starts to annoy me after awhile.

On a side note, I just watched the trailer on imdb, and the part that shows the plane crashing on the highway, I had a dream about 2 weeks ago of me on a bus, like a greyhound bus on this highway overpass like 200 ft. above a ravine, and a plane was coming at the bus just like in the movie. The bus driver jerked the wheel of the bus, and we went over the guardrail into the ravine. I watched the plane miss a school bus, which I thought was cool, but I watched it crash into the ground just before I woke up. I remember being very pissed off that I was stuck in this bus, knowing i'm about to die, after avoiding a plane crash. I kept thinking I know this is going to hurt, I don't want to die this way. It was a ****ty dream. I'd forgotten about it, but watching that trailer just reminded me.

Damn.

And here I am about to hop on a Greyhound later this week.:silly:

Dont do it!!!

J/K

But it made me wonder if its possible to buy cyanide caplets, like spies supposedly used to carry. I think if I was in that situation, falling to my death, I would rather pop a pill and be done, rather than splatter all over the unfortunate soul sitting next to me.

EDIT: Of course i'm still gonna splatter all over that dude, but at least i'll be dead before that happens.

Dont do it!!!

J/K

But it made me wonder if its possible to buy cyanide caplets, like spies supposedly used to carry. I think if I was in that situation, falling to my death, I would rather pop a pill and be done, rather than splatter all over the unfortunate soul sitting next to me.

EDIT: Of course i'm still gonna splatter all over that dude, but at least i'll be dead before that happens.

I don't think you'd actually have the time or the presence of mind to pop those pills if you were falling to your death, though lol :)

I don't think you'd actually have the time or the presence of mind to pop those pills if you were falling to your death, though lol :)

I wondered about that also (I'd probably put it in my fifth pocket, but sometimes it's hard to get stuff out of there :)). I'd be screwed either way. I remember my abs were hurting when I woke up I was tensing up so bad. Ugh what a ****ty way to die.

I wondered about that also (I'd probably put it in my fifth pocket, but sometimes it's hard to get stuff out of there :)). I'd be screwed either way. I remember my abs were hurting when I woke up I was tensing up so bad. Ugh what a ****ty way to die.

You just gave me a thread idea lol...a morbid one, but one just the same. :thumbsup:

It looks really contrived. A set of numbers to predict the future. From an alien? And Nicholas Cage has to be one of Hollywood's worst. Ever notice he's in the crap movies.

The "alien"-ish part of the trailer was the only turn off for me (well, besides seeing Cage's deadpan, morose expression and vocal delivery lol)...the "whisper people" and the floating rocks and all that **** made me groan.

The idea of some kid 50 years ago being a Nostradamus and predicting future events leading up to the end of the world, and nobody realizing it until it's too late, is a good one for a movie.

I shall wait until it comes out on DVD per my ususal routine. The only movie I've actually seen in the last year was Sex & the CIty. And that was hell on earth with all those teenie-boopers running out dressed completely inappropriately. Aaahhh!

I did however Twilight pull me in...but only because we have the early edition and I don't have to fight with screaming adolscents for the hottie vamp....but man, he is the hottest looking feminine man I have ever see. ohlala. :D

So. What were we walking about again? Meh, i'll wait for it to com out on DVD.

Just got back from seeing this movie.

The special effects are great. And some aspects of the plot are intriguing.

However, the rest of it just falls apart. The whole "whisper people" BS made me nauseated.

I saw it TJ and thought the whisper people went along with the rest of the allegorical references concerning revelation like prophecy. You had the kids and other taken away (rapture), fire to end the world, the big Tree of Life at the end, referencing back to Eden.

Yeah, I really didn't mind that either. I thought the movie was a pretty decent disaster flick. I mean these movies aren't expected to win any oscars or anything like that, so I'm not expecting a perfect plot or perfect acting. For what it was, I liked the movie.

The disaster scenes in this movie were VERY well done. Very intense.

Yeah, I really didn't mind that either. I thought the movie was a pretty decent disaster flick. I mean these movies aren't expected to win any oscars or anything like that, so I'm not expecting a perfect plot or perfect acting. For what it was, I liked the movie.

The disaster scenes in this movie were VERY well done. Very intense.

The scene when he's on the freeway staring at the tanker truck was wicked and of course the ending as well.

Just got back from seeing this movie.

The special effects are great. And some aspects of the plot are intriguing.

However, the rest of it just falls apart. The whole "whisper people" BS made me nauseated.

why did it make you nauseated?

I don't want to give up their purpose...but they were needed.

I enjoyed this movie

Cage plays himself in every single movie he's ever made. He's a "lucky" actor.

When I'm watching National Treasure 2, it seems like the exact same character as Ghost Rider. I'm just waiting for the flames to burst out of his skull.

He isn't great but he's no Owen Wilson....that guy is the same in every movie period. Nicholson earned his stripes in youth to pull that off in later life and he's lovable so its ok......Owen i used to like but now I like the dry Luke better because he isn't a caracature.

we were two couples, all like action and cage, and all 4 big thumbs down. some good special effects as noted but even they were inconsistent and the technology-type mix of generating them was not always a smooth one. some of the big stuff is delievered at a point where "it doesn't matter" plot-wise and has less impact. some key special effects/scenes at the end look like a video game. absolutely terrible editing. silly plot development that was both plodding and spastic at different times. and cage sucked, as did the kid playing his son. had some brief cheap thrills in between lonnnnnng stretches of yawns or "what?" not a good movie at all for a major film.

Archived