Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This Isn't the West Coast Offense

bulldog

short passes to the backs that are extensions of the run game.

quick release slants and medium crosses to get the ball in receivers hands for RAC yardage.

an offensive line with quicker, athletic OTs and OGs that can protect the qb on the 3-5 step drops to allow completion of the crosses and tight end isolations down the field ( a la Russ Francis and Brent Jones in SF).

The Redskins offense doesn't for a second resemble a WCO, at least not one I remember seeing installed by Bill Walsh that worked in SF for some 15-20 years.................

The Redskins don't have the wide receivers or OL to run that type of classic WCO. And until the RBs, WRs and OL are in place you won't really know if Campbell is a fit, although so far Jason doesn't seem to be a qb with the type of quick action throwing motion that we saw from Joe Montana or Steve Young. Given his size, windup and arm strength one wonders if he belongs in a classic deep passing offense.

So, what does the team do for 2009?

Keep Zorn, keep Campbell, replace one or two of the elder statesmen on the OL and hope that Kelly and Thomas develop into legitimate NFL players?

OR

Does Snyder pull the plug on this show after a 7-9 or 8-8 finish and just put too much money in front of Cowher for him to turn it down?

You know it's hard to turn down the type of money where your GRANDCHILDREN may not have to get jobs :laugh: :laugh:

Bill certainly isn't going to find that kind of money or prime-time stage in Detroit, Kansas City, Cincinnati, St. Louis or a number of the other jobs that may come available.

Whoever is in charge of this hellish ride needs to identify what type of personnel we do have on hand and what program they best fit into.

Trying to force an offense on a team with the wrong people is akin to trying to run a 3-4 with our group of guys.

I for the life of me don't understand why we are the only team who hires people with offenses that take 2+ years to learn. In this age of parity and roster turnover I don't even think it's possible with are available draft picks and on hand people to effectively build a roster in that time frame.

Whoever is in charge of this hellish ride needs to identify what type of personnel we do have on hand and what program they best fit into.

Trying to force an offense on a team with the wrong people is akin to trying to run a 3-4 with our group of guys.

I for the life of me don't understand why we are the only team who hires people with offenses that take 2+ years to learn. In this age of parity and roster turnover I don't even think it's possible with are available draft picks and on hand people to effectively build a roster in that time frame.

Winner, winner. Chicken dinner.

On top of it, the owner stated that he expected playoffs this year. Someone was lying. Either Zorn convinced Snyder he could teach his offense quickly enough to be a winner, or Snyder convinced himself it would all work out.

It's no secret they all felt that way, otherwise why trade a 2nd for JT?

No one had any clue from the start. Considering the goals the FO had for this team, Zorn was never the smart choice to begin with.

What I find interesting is the people that accept average play.

The skins have been average for so long. When was the last time the skins were just plain good?

I don't know if the problem is Zorn or CP or something else. Lavarleap had a pretty good write up about Zorn. If he is correct, Zorn has to go. But, is he correct? He is obviously getting his information from a player or two. I think you need to view the big picture to determine if Zorn should be back. Hopefully, Vinny and Dan see what is going on and decide to do the right thing.

If LL is correct and the veterans are going to Vinny and Dan and explaining the problems I don't have a problem with that.

What I find interesting is the people that accept average play.

The skins have been average for so long. When was the last time the skins were just plain good?

I don't know if the problem is Zorn or CP or something else. Lavarleap had a pretty good write up about Zorn. If he is correct, Zorn has to go. But, is he correct? He is obviously getting his information from a player or two. I think you need to view the big picture to determine if Zorn should be back. Hopefully, Vinny and Dan see what is going on and decide to do the right thing.

If LL is correct and the veterans are going to Vinny and Dan and explaining the problems I don't have a problem with that.

I thought from the first day that it was a default hiring one done after all options where exhausted.

Their is no reason to hire someone if they can't modify their formula/scheme to fit their people. I keep saying this over and over. Good managers/leaders put people in the best situation that lets them succeed. They don't keep doing the same thing over and over again hoping that something magically will happen.

These last 5-6 games we've seen the same offensive scheme and sets with no modification or wrinkles. That is not someone helping put their people in the right situation. That is what worries me the most.

If we do fire Zorn they need to look real hard and figure out what they have on hand and then find someone that has the flexibility and genuine knowledge on how to get our scheme to fit them. Not the other way around.

On one hand I want some stability and I'd like to keep Zorn and see if he can make it work with personel that fits his scheme. But on the other hand, we also made a huge mistake not smashing the team up and rebuilding this past offseason to speed up the rebuilding process, and now it looks like Zorn has lost the locker room which is usually the telling sign that the coach is on his way out.

I miss the Joe Gibbs days already. We may not have been great but we were clutch down the stretch and played like a team and had a coach that guys would run through walls for. Now? We got Norv/Spurrier v2.0. Ugh...

I'm one of the biggest advocates of keeping a head coach around to let the team develop.

That said... With all of this information... Zorn is as good as gone. His offense isn't really a West Coast Offense in the least. It's a turd right now. It went well for awhile, and then it fell apart. Now the reason for that is clear... He lost the team.

Bye, Zorn.

Mr. Tiger,

You are the one who constantly defending Campbell. He is a play-action, vertical pass attack QB. He cannot stretch the field because his reaction time and release are too slow. Good QB, wrong system.

i watched the eagles play NY and i asked myself...why can't we just do that?

why can't we spread the field?

Archived