Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The hype is really not there for the Eagles this year.

Big Weirdo

There's not even a peep about it on the front page of the ATN.

Surprising in a way because I thought Kolb would at least get us a bunch of "The Eagles are going to be 3-13!" threads. Which they might, who knows.

Here are my thoughts without being an expert:

*Stating the obvious: this season will go as Kolb goes. If he falters then the Eagles will also. If he succeeds then the Eagles will succeed. Based on the preseason he hasn't really wowed me but he hasn't given me enough to say we're ****ed. I think he at least has enough talent to get us to the middle of the road. Somewhere in the 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 range.

*The offensive line really needs to come through. In the preseason they looked awful. If Kolb is going to succeed these guys will have to step up. Kolb was running for his life in the beginning of each game. Also, glad to see Reid and Co. admit their mistake on Stacy Andrews. What a bum that guy was. I always thought they wanted Jordan Gross but settled on Andrews when Gross re-upped with Carolina. At this point I have no faith in the offensive line. It's my biggest concern going into the season.

*The defense will have to be much improved. Hopefully with Bradley back and Sims on the team the linebacking corp will be better. Our DT depth sucks with Laws and Dixon (who did show some flashes last year) and I'm fine with the DEs. Safety is a concern and we only kept 3 on the roster this year getting rid of both Demps and Macho Harris.

A lot of unknowns this year for the Eagles. I'm excited about the season starting but this is the first season in years where I'm not confident the Eagles can contend for even a wild card spot.

Andrews appears to be an expensive bust who I could get replaced. If he continues at the same level he will get Kolb killed and the Eagles won't have a shot at 8-8.

I thought AR would have brought in a better backup for McCoy then Bell. He must think he can play Weaver at RB some in McCoy goes down but....

Defensively the Eagles are strong on the outside thin on the inside. Sims was a great acquistion. They need Bradley, Bunckley and Mickell to stay healthy up the middle. I expected Laws to be an excellent fit when drafted but has yet to do anything.

I disagree about the defensive tackle depth. Antonio Dixon has really caught me eye ever since we signed him from Washington last year. The guy is huge and moves very well for a man of his size. Trevor Laws I don't know what to expect but Dixon is a quality backup tackle in this league.

I don't know what to expect this year and I don't even know if this year will be a great gauge for any nfc east team. Our schedules are f'n brutal this season. All of the teams in the east are facing top comp every week it seems. The NFC North and AFC South is going to be a struggle for all teams in this division.

One thing I am very confident about this year, though, is the defense. With Graham and Cole we'll get a pass rush with just 4, which will let our speed in the back 7 become noticed.

Ah, the elusive Who Del. What the **** is up dude?

This is a Redskins fan site, we don't care about the Eagles anymore than we care about the Titans, Falcons or Dolphins.

As they play in the same division as us and have been our rivals as long as the Cowboys and Giants, you'd be wrong about that.

I think it is because no one knows what the eagles will be. I think there has been so much turnover coupled with so many unknowns that are then coupled with knowns like Reid.

Eagles went very young and that can go either way. Kolb seems like he could be a qb in this league but no one knows for sure. Not even the Eagles. Until he does it, it is hard to gauge the Eagles.

Kolb certainly has the weapons to succeed but which Andy Reid will be calling the plays? The one of recent years who like to throw the ball all over or the one when they went to the NFC Championship game with Duce, Buck, and Westy where they ran the ball all the time?

They need to be more run oriented this year to keep the pressure off of Kolb. If he tries slinging it, it could backfire.

The defense will be better this year, it is just hard to determine how much better.

The Eagles can be anywhere from 5-11 this year to 11-5.

I think the Eagles will probably have some growing pains because Kolb isn't as much of a play-maker as McNabb (as far as his feet go). I also think the Eagles got away with having a substandard OL for a few years because of that. Now that Kolb is there, and is a more accurate passer but not as capable of stringing out a play, they will need to upgrade their OL before they are going to be giving the top NFC teams trouble.

I don't think they're going to be great this season, losing McNabb and Westbrook (though both had injury issues) is like losing both legs and an arm. Now, having said that, Andy Reid seems to pull great teams from a group of no names, so they have the chance to surprise everyone again, just because of Reid.

Actually, if they EVER fire Reid, I think they will have made the worst coaching decision in their franchises history, because before Reid got there, they were one of the jokes of the NFL, kind of like the Skins have been for the last 20 years. Sure they had a playoff season once in a while, but they were never a threat to anyone.

Ironically, the Eagles are now the opposite team to what they were in the mid-2000's.

Then they had McNabb and very strong offensive and defensive lines but poor talent at WR and depth in the backfield.

Now they have Jackson and Maclin and McCoy.

But they have a leaky offensive line, an unproven quarterback and a defense that has its question marks.

Every year people count Philly out.

Every year Philly is in the thick of it at the end of the season.

I will wait as few games to predict Philly's record but I see them competing.

Thats because every year prior to this year the eagles had dmac able to make miracle whip out of dog ****. Not this year.

Actually, if they EVER fire Reid, I think they will have made the worst coaching decision in their franchises history, because before Reid got there, they were one of the jokes of the NFL, kind of like the Skins have been for the last 20 years. Sure they had a playoff season once in a while, but they were never a threat to anyone.

The Eagles were a joke for a long time, but weren't too bad even in the ten years before Reid got there. They had five straight 10 plus-win seasons in the late 80s/early 90s under Ryan/Kotite and a few more 10-win seasons under Ray Rhodes in the mid-90s.

One thing I am very confident about this year, though, is the defense.

riiiight.

Assante Samuel on one side

Ellis Hobbes on the other.

Ooops. Those of us who actually watched him last year know what that means. Can't tackle, can't cover. So now they have one that can't tackle and one that won't tackle. And Hobbs is coming off the neck injury last year.

Then there's...

Quintin Mikell

Nate Allen

Kurt Coleman

Three safeties on the final 53. 2 rookies. Rookies.

Oh wait they are trying to turn Dimitri Patterson into a safety. That clears that up. Do we count that as 4 safeties on the roster now? Or 3 1/2?

But you are "very confident" about the defense. So there's that.

Every year people count Philly out.

Every year Philly is in the thick of it at the end of the season.

I will wait as few games to predict Philly's record but I see them competing.

McNabb isn't there any longer...and, Kolb is. Kolb! Kolb!

:ols:

The Eagles were a joke for a long time, but weren't too bad even in the ten years before Reid got there. They had five straight 10 plus-win seasons in the late 80s/early 90s under Ryan/Kotite and a few more 10-win seasons under Ray Rhodes in the mid-90s.

That is true. Randall Cunningham and Reggie White were great on their team. The one year I remember thinking they might go to the SB was when Cunningham broke his leg and went on IR. After that it was pretty much over that year.

I disagree about the defensive tackle depth. Antonio Dixon has really caught me eye ever since we signed him from Washington last year. The guy is huge and moves very well for a man of his size. Trevor Laws I don't know what to expect but Dixon is a quality backup tackle in this league.

I don't know what to expect this year and I don't even know if this year will be a great gauge for any nfc east team. Our schedules are f'n brutal this season. All of the teams in the east are facing top comp every week it seems. The NFC North and AFC South is going to be a struggle for all teams in this division.

One thing I am very confident about this year, though, is the defense. With Graham and Cole we'll get a pass rush with just 4, which will let our speed in the back 7 become noticed.

Your screen name is so awesome now! :ols:

riiiight.

Ooops. Those of us who actually watched him last year know what that means. Can't tackle, can't cover. So now they have one that can't tackle and one that won't tackle. And Hobbs is coming off the neck injury last year.

Then there's...

Quintin Mikell

Nate Allen

Kurt Coleman

Oh wait they are trying to turn Dimitri Patterson into a safety. That clears that up. Do we count that as 4 safeties on the roster now? Or 3 1/2?

Think what you want. Our defense is going to be damn good this season.

Asante>any corner you have. Asante can hit but he doesn't wrap up all the time. Come find me the next time teams play cornerbacks to tackle. I'm happy with his 9 picks last season.

They hype isn't there because there are too many "unknowns" at key positions and they have a very young team. Hard to hype up something when you have absolutely no idea about what the expect. I know this though, the heat is on Andy Reid big time this year after trading their pro-bowl QB to a division rival. Expect for Philly to call for his head if the Skins sweep them in the series this year.

riiiight.

Then there's...

Quintin Mikell

Nate Allen

Kurt Coleman

I too am very, very confident in the defense. More so than I am in the offense. There's speed and talent at every position on the defensive side of the ball. If they struggle, it'll be for different reasons than over the last two years.

Archived