Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: JLC: A Rocky Who Is Not Italian

bubba9497

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2007/06/from_a_rocky_who_is_not_italia.html#more

click link for full article

A Rocky Who Is Not Italian,

Figured that with OTAs essentially over now and not much brewing at The Park until the weekend mini camp, we'd spend the week discussing some of the key players for the upcoming season, one day at a time. We kind of got started last week on the punters and kickers, before all kinds of news stuff broke out to get us on a different bent.

But this week I figured we'd look at people being asked to take a major step up, and start with Rocky McIntosh. He is expected to go from being a special teams guy last year to a starting LB this season, and judging from the smile on his face while we chatted recently, I'd say so far so good. (Also, I have to vent a bit about that lame ending to the Sopranos last night, that to me was more a precursor to a movie than any sort of true conclusion to these characters).

Okay, let's start with football.

I hear that Rocky is being looked at as a real weapon, someone who can be deployed in multiple ways, and is thriving under the tutelage of new LB Coach Kirk Olivadotti And has been a stud this off season. He has essentially lived at the facility, getting up to speed on the defense and all of his responsibilities after struggling to get a grasps of it last year after being picked in the second round. Also, Olivadotti is a more of a "luv 'em up," kind of guy and more touchy-feely than Dale Lindsey was, and the new approach is working well from what the players and others can tell out there.

Bottom line with this defense last year was that nobody made plays. Nobody. Short of Kedric Golston, you tell me who surpassed expectations on that D last season. It was a down year all around, from the coaches to the players; starters through the backups. But Rocky is definitely a guy who has the ability to change games - he provides another athletic presence missing a year ago and is a sure tackler.

On top of all of that, the dude plays with an edge. He hates the opposition for those four quarters on Sundays, and when he hits, it hurts. That physicality was lacking a year ago, too. Rocky has the wheels to do things in coverage now - his struggles learning the system limited his role greatly last season - and he will be allowed to get after the passer some as well, from what I gather.

I know the Bears had really high reports on him and thought he would be an upgrade over Briggs in time in their system, and the Redskins are utilizing a whole lot of Lovie Smith's stuff this season, so make of that what you will. Of course, the one red flag has always been Rocky's knees.

He had a scope in the off season and says he feels great now. But there are definitely concerns from within the organization that he could continue to experience knee problems and that it could be a degenerative condition over time. He will have to be monitored closely and the medical team will have to stay on top of it aches and pains.

But if he does manage to keep the knees in decent shape this could be a real breakthrough season for the kid. Rocky's wife is also expected a child soon, and if you remember postponed his honeymoon last off season to be around Redskins Park and prepare for his life in pro football. Perhaps he will be reaping rewards on the professional side as well as the personal side of things this year.

Awesome.

I'm happy Dale is gone. He didn't seem to be a favorite of the players and I think we've had some talent at the position.

Rocky can be a silent beast on this defense, till the regular season approaches. It's hard to not get a little excited thinking about the lumber that is going to be laid this year!

Good to hear that Rocky is progressing. Hopefully, that translates into production on the field this season.

Interesting that the Bears wanted Rocky and thought very highly of him. It seems that our new LB coach is getting more out of Rocky than the previous one.

what I don't understand is how McIntosh could have these knee problems and the Redskins were not aware of them when drafting him, at least as a cautionary note?

perhaps the staff and/or La Canfora is over-emphasizing the potential for injury or continued problems with the knee, but I find it hard to believe his knee became a problem working special teams for one season in Washington.

did anyone else hear about potential chronic knee problems with #52 when he was drafted?

I really hope is knees dont derail his career. That being said, if healthy he can be a freak on this defense. He isnt a lights out hitter, but a sure tackler who gets to the ball in a hurry.
I agree with everything that you said. But what about him makes you say that he isn't a "lights out hitter?" Have we really seen enough of him to make that determination yet?

There were indeed health/knee concerns mentioned here and elsewhere a few times when he was being discussed. You can fill in the typical blanks as to how/why the arguments went and whether it seems good/bad that the agressive moves were made to get him.

I'm hopeful (still).

I also will say that while I'm unsympathetic to All Things Lavar, and didn't join the Lynch Lindsay crew last year, it is sounding like his departure has been positive. I have an entrenched "let's just see on the field" attitude on most all matters, but it does seem like it may have been worth it (getting RockyMac).

I stopped reading after "thrived."

I'm sorry, but I just don't want to get my hopes up so much again. I like to think of myself as an optimist, but, really, I'd like to be surprised. No more "He's doing GREAT in Camp, guys!" and then a huge let down.

what I don't understand is how McIntosh could have these knee problems and the Redskins were not aware of them when drafting him, at least as a cautionary note?

perhaps the staff and/or La Canfora is over-emphasizing the potential for injury or continued problems with the knee, but I find it hard to believe his knee became a problem working special teams for one season in Washington.

did anyone else hear about potential chronic knee problems with #52 when he was drafted?

I dont remember hearing any major concerns around the draft either. That said, special teams or full time starter, the potential for major injury is always there! See: Pierson Prioleu (sp?)

They were aware,,,, they took a chance and it might just pay off :)

From reports that I read, he was listed as the 2nd best linebacker after AJ Hawk, but his knee problems caused him to drop out of the first round. Same thing happened to Paul Posluszny this year. If you ask me, I think we got a steal.

Considering that in his first game starting he got over 10 tackles, I can't help but really get excited over this guy. He could easily make us forget about old #56.

Archived