Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I the only one that isn't into...

RonJeremy

I don't get it either.

I loved the first one at the time, but seeing it years later as an adult, I realized how cheesy the dialogue was, and how horrible much of the acting was, especially the talentless Mark Hamill. I still love the Empire Strikes Back, probably because it was the only one where we were lucky enough to have Lucas hire somebody else to do the screenplay.

Return of the Jedi was tremendously disappointing, Episode One was F%CKING AWFUL - more like the Muppets than Star Wars. Ep II was lame as he11. I'll probably catch the newest one in a month or so after the crowds die down. NO hurry at all.

From Queen's song Bicycle Race

You say black I say white

You say bark I say bite

You say shark I say hey man

Jaws was never my scene

And I don't like Star Wars

You are not alone. This song came out in 1978 after the original blockbuster Star Wars movie. Obviously it doesn't hold the appeal for everyone.

I will say that I like the original trilogy, but had little interest in episodes I and II (only eventually saw them after they came out on video and thought they were crap). Revenge of the Sith does peak my interest and would seem to fulfill the promise that people were expecting with episodes I and II came out. Lucas would have been better off IMO to hav simply just made ROTS and to have skipped the others (the back story they show could have been condensed down into a few scenes, what a waste of film).

Originally posted by DjTj

I'm going to have to admit that I love the Ewoks. Maybe I'm just that age - Jedi came out when I was 2 and I was too young for movies then, but I definitely remember the cheesy little Ewok film that came out in the mid-80's.

I think the age is the difference. I saw The Empire Strikes Back when I was 12...you were 2. I supposed the fuzzy little Bears appealed to a 2 year old but for me I was looking for something that kicked ass! The Ewoks didn't do it! That whole thing was WEAK!

I am sure because you were 2 you don't remember that the Ewok's had a "song" on the radio that was played CONSTANTLY that summer....it was a bunch of gibberish sung by Muppets... :puke:

The Star Wars "franchise" went down the toilet for me after that summer.

Originally posted by Dah-Dee

WTF??!! I *love* Star Wars!!! That doctor who's always saying things like, "I'm a doctor, not a blacksmith, Jim!" just slays me. And the whole story arc with the thumbs as characters -- classic Steven Lucas! Attack of the Drones was my favorite, though, with that John Candy cameo and the offspring-of-wookie-and-ewok thing going on. Sweet! Not love Star Wars??!! Man, I'm just going to pretend you did not even go there. As Obee-Wand would say, "live long and prosper." :)

:laugh:

I'm surprised no one has jumped on you yet.

Originally posted by RonJeremy

I was sitting here thinking what turned me off was the Ewoks....singing, dancing, little fuzzy bears. How could they take out those Storm Troopers. :mad:

The whole story was becoming "cheesy".

RJ,

They couldn't in my Op.

But hey, I'm not Lucas and the teddy bear Ewoks made Lucas lots of $$$$

I am a fan of Star Wars.

The original trilogy (except some of Jedi and the SE Jedi) was great. Eps. 1 and 2 were nice the 1st time watching (mostly for the Jedi vs. Sith battles), but overall filled with story and dialog that bored most fans and irritated many (ex. Jar Jar, the political aspects, Anakin etc.)

If it's not for you-- maybe you grew up, maybe the way the prequels treated you-- it's not worth the hype, maybe you just don't like Star Wars. No problem there.

I think I'm still a bit of a kid (despite being 27) and look forward to the new Star Wars being that this (should) be the last one (probably won't though).

Plus, this looks like fans are actually going to get what they want with this one (since it is being compared to Empire Strikes Back).

Plus, with DVD and PPV there is no rush for those who will watch it eventually to rush out to the theaters. In our society, after awhile you can see it whenever you want.

Eh. It's either for you or it isn't. I love this stuff.

I must say that I am suprised that you Jen, oh comic book maven you, would turn your back on the epitome of modern pulp science fiction. Ah well.

Anyway, this review I think REALLY explains why Star Wars has been at the top of my list all these years.

http://www.flickfilosopher.com/flickfilos/archive/2005/starwarsrevengesith.shtml

Espeicially this part:

I don't entirely agree with my spiritual brother in geekiness, Kevin Smith, that the film is "****ing awesome" -- though there are certainly moments that are ****ing awesome -- but there is a haunting, disconcerting bittersweetness to the film that is impossible to shake. It's a particularly GenX response, I suspect: people who saw the original films as adults will not share this reaction, I don't think; nor will younger kids who did not experience Star Wars the way we did the first time around in the 70s and early 80s. It has to do with the visceral first encounter with Darth Vader -- you had to be a little kid of a certain age, it had to come on a big screen, and it had to be something you couldn't possibly have anticipated (ie, Vader couldn't already have been a pop-culture icon).

You know what I'm talking about: The corridor on that gleaming white spaceship blows open, and in marches this huge... thing, towering over everyone else, a monster with a skull helmet and a dominating presence that makes you want to cower like a puppy and let loose your bladder on that shiny white floor. Is it a robot? Is it a person? What the hell is it? It scared the **** out of me as an eight-year-old, lemme tell ya. Vader was the personification of evil in the imagination of my childhood, and the discovery in The Empire Strikes Back that he was merely a man in a suit was just barely reconcilable with that fact. The idea that he could be anybody's father? I'm not sure I'd ever wholly accepted that.

Whatever you think of this particular episode or that annoying character, Lucas did something that few writers have ever managed to do, and he did it well: He showed us the biggest, baddest bad guy in the universe, and then he made him human. It's brilliant, and it still sticks with me. I'm dying to know the rest of the story, even if it's not the Greatest Movie Ever Made. I find it compelling nonetheless.

Originally posted by Henry

I must say that I am suprised that you Jen, oh comic book maven you, would turn your back on the epitome of modern pulp science fiction. Ah well.

I dunno - it never really gripped me - except for Han Solo, who appealed to my budding anarchistic tendencies. ;)

I guess in a way I wish I had read it in book form so that I could imagine it myself instead of being told what it all looks like...similar to how much I love the John Carter series by E.R. Burroughs because I could imagine it how I wanted to, given the descriptions in the text.

I guess that I would also have liked to see the story be told BETTER than it was...

Oh I dunno.

But I appreciate that this is a momentous occasion for those of you who are really into the whole mythology. :D

Originally posted by jenmdixon

I guess in a way I wish I had read it in book form so that I could imagine it myself instead of being told what it all looks like...similar to how much I love the John Carter series by E.R. Burroughs because I could imagine it how I wanted to, given the descriptions in the text.

Generally I agree with you, but I like the way Lucas portrayed things in the first three movies. I don't care how well you described the Millenium Falcon to me I never could have pictured so glorious a hunk of junk.

Episodes I and II on the other hand just bother me from front to back. It doesn't look the way I think it should, and sometimes it's easier just to forget he made them.

Originally posted by jenmdixon

Jen, yer killin me. :)

You don't like the movies much. That's cool. Nothing's for everyone.

But of all the movies ever made you wish STAR WARS had instead been a book? We are talking about STAR WARS here aren't we? This is the movie that created the concept of the special effects-driven action-adventure. That ressurrected science fiction as an acceptable genre. This is the movie that sports John Williams's most memorable score ... and that's saying a LOT. This is the movie that launched Harrison Ford's career. This is the movie that made James Earl Jones famous. This ... THIS movie should have been a BOOK???

Oh my ... I love reading Sci Fi/Fantasy as much as the next guy (gal :) ) but if you've enjoyed any movies this side of The Hours there is no way you can say with a straight face these stories would be better realized in print. While I have great faith in the power of your imagination I cannot for a second believe you truly think that elements such as the Star Destroyer flying overhead, Vader's presence, the Death Star's immense-ness, Wiliams's Imperial March ... that visual and musical themes such as these would have been more effective described in paragraph form.

It would be better to simply say you thought the movies sucked. :)

Originally posted by dfitzo53

Bah, that's even worse than the fools who don't like the movies. ;)

I honestly couldn't tell you why I like them so much, but I was raised on the movies. I probably saw each of the originals 30 times before I was 10. I'd run around outside (with friends, I'm not that crazy) pretending to be Han or Luke for hours. I've always had an overactive imagination, but the sense of wonder Lucas's universe has filled me with (like Tolkein for some people, I'd venture) is irreplacable. As long as I can remember it's where I've escaped to when I needed a break from the real world, whether I popped in one of the movies or just daydreamed.

A friend and I just finished watching A New Hope in preperation for seeing Episode III tomorrow night. I mentioned to him that the number of hours I've spent doing Star Wars related things, whether watching the movies, reading books, playing X-Wing or TIE Fighter or Dark Forces, or just daydreaming or playing pretend outside is staggering when I actually think about it.

Gosh, when I started I didn't intend to write more than a few words, but I just kind of ran with it. Anyway, that's what's so great about the movies.

Likewise.

Henry -

I did feel that way when the first 2 came out. I drew pictures of all the characters. I couldn't wait for the 3rd installment. Then I saw it, and was like "what happened?" When it came to video, I did a little tape to tape edit and took out all the scenes with the stupid teddy bears- and there were no discernible gaps at all in the plot.

The last 2 have made me want to track Lucas down and yell at him "What the f#^$^% is wrong with you, you sellout!!!!"

I'll see this one, because it's supposed to be less of a nauseastingly kiddie movie, but I can wait a few weeks.

Originally posted by ohioskins

I'm really not into Star Wars either, but all you have to do is go out to the bar and say "the force is with you".... and BOOM...

You become a chick magnet. For me it's all about the women.

I wanna know what bars you visit. I would think you say that to a random girl, they'll prolly just laugh and walk away. Are these girls hot for that matter?

Now, if we had Jedi powers, and waved our hand while saying that, then I can understand how you can call yourself a chick magnet.

Originally posted by Mr. S

Now, if we had Jedi powers, and waved our hand while saying that, then I can understand how you can call yourself a chick magnet.

That works... I just wave my hand and say... "come to codeorama, enjoy yourself you will..."

Archived