Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Nunyo chatting tomorrow at 2:30

mhd24

That was a pretty boring and uninformative chat.

"Las Vegas, N.V.: Hi Nunyo, I remember when Joe Gibbs returned to coaching the one thing he was going to bring back to the team was stability and team continuity. Seeing Fred Smoot on TV at the Wizards game the other night made me think about how the team didn't really fulfill any of their objectives this offseason. They lost their two top free agents in Smoot and Pierce, have a disgruntled unhealthy Arrington, couldn't trade Ron Gardner and merely drafted a replacement for Smoot and a project at quarterback while giving up key future picks. To an outsider, the Skins don't seem to be any closer to winning than they have been the last 10 years what are your thoughts?

Nunyo Demasio: We'll find out more next season."

Why even bother to answer if that's your response?

Originally posted by TODD

That was a pretty boring and uninformative chat.

"Las Vegas, N.V.: Hi Nunyo, I remember when Joe Gibbs returned to coaching the one thing he was going to bring back to the team was stability and team continuity. Seeing Fred Smoot on TV at the Wizards game the other night made me think about how the team didn't really fulfill any of their objectives this offseason. They lost their two top free agents in Smoot and Pierce, have a disgruntled unhealthy Arrington, couldn't trade Ron Gardner and merely drafted a replacement for Smoot and a project at quarterback while giving up key future picks. To an outsider, the Skins don't seem to be any closer to winning than they have been the last 10 years what are your thoughts?

Nunyo Demasio: We'll find out more next season."

Why even bother to answer if that's your response?

Sounds like a nunyo.bot to me...

This chat, as with Nunyo's chat at HR.com, differs from the type of chat we'd likely do here. Though it would be fan driven here and what you ask is what would get asked, I suspect the questions here would be more style, accuracy and attendance driven than the presumptive questions seen here and HR, which seem to give a tip of the hat to Nunyo KNOWING what's going on with the team.

Nunyo wouldn't be treated like an "insider" here. He'd be treated like a guy who has things to answer to. His thoughts on how the team might do would matter less to us, most more qualified to offer such thoughts, than his thoughts on how so many errors get in the paper, or, how his work ethic compares to that of Mark Maske when it comes to attendance at the Park.

As with Cerrato and to a lesser degree with Swanson, the questions would be positive or negative and somewhat more delving than is typical of such a chat.

Maybe I don't know for certain, but I suspect a chat that brought forth the type, length and depth of answers we've had with Cerrato and ESPECIALLY with Swanson are more enjoyable than these little paragraph or less blurbs.

Maybe I'm nuts on that though :).

It's not hard to see why he's ducked our invitation to speak with us. I suspect he's bright enough to know how silly he'd look if forced to give answers to people who actually know to ask the right questions.

This performance is just shameful.

The Redskins

Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2005/05/12/DI2005051201251.html

The Redskins used their top pick in last month's draft on Auburn cornerback Carlos Rogers, who is expected to replace the departed Fred Smoot. And despite the presence of Patrick Ramsey and Mark Brunell, the Redskins also drafted quarterback Jason Campbell, another Tiger, in the first round. Tuesday, Coach Joe Gibbs -- who last month quietly underwent a common heart procedure -- kicks off the first of 14 OTAs (organized team activities). New receiver Santana Moss will participate after ending an unofficial holdout by signing a rich contract extension. But talented safety Sean Taylor hasn't yet reported to Redskins Park because he wants a reworked contract, while receiver Rod Gardner remains in limbo since the club hasn't been able to trade him.

Washington Post staff writer Nunyo Demasio was online Thursday, May 16, at 2:30 p.m. ET to examine the Redskins' offseason.

The transcript follows.

Nunyo Demasio: Hi,

Thanks for joining the chat to talk about your Redskins.

Palmdale, Calif.: Nunyo,

Did the Skins acquire the 'right' receivers this off-season to support their offense this year?

Nunyo Demasio: That remains to be seen. Santana Moss and David Patten are smallish explosive receivers. They each were among the league leaders in yards per catch last season. In a down year, Moss still averaged 18.2 yards per catch last season with the Jets. The Redskins receivers last season averaged around 11. Gibbs intends to be more agressive this season so the explosiveness of the two new receivers should help.

Short Pump, Va.: Do the Redskins seem at all concerned about their lack of proven receivers, pass rushers, tight ends and interior offensive linemen? Do they have any plans for addressing these glaring weaknesses?

Nunyo Demasio: The Redskins are confident in their new receivers. The lack of pass rushers didn't stop the defense from being third overall and first in the NFC. Chris Cooley will be featured more this season after a strong rookie year. And center Casey Rabach was quietly a strong off-season pickup. Randy Thomas is one of the best right guards. Derrick Dockery should be the only O-lineman challenged for a starting spot. If he struggles, I think you'll see Father Time, Ray Brown in there.

Richmond, Va.: Hey Nunyo,

Thanks for this, you do an awesome job.

Any word on if and when Sean Taylor will show up for OTA's and what Gibbs will do if he doesn't? Also, what is going to happen with the Rod Gardner situation?

Nunyo Demasio: Thanks.

Sean Taylor isn't expected to show up for OTAs, but they technically are voluntary. The key will be whether he shows up for the minicamp from June 17 to June 19, which a player is under contract to report to.

With Rod Gardner, the team is still clinging to the hopes of trading him for a low-round draft pick. If not, the Redskins will trade him and free up $2.1mm in cap space. The team needs the space to sign its top rookies.

Falls Church, Va.: Quick Q: What's up with Sean Taylor?

Nunyo Demasio: He isn't happy with a seven year, $18mm rookie deal that can potentially reach 40mm through Pro Bowl incentives. So he apparently isn't showing up at Redskins Park until the Redskins renew his deal. The Redskins have had talks with agent Drew Rosenhaus, who has tons of guys missing off season workouts for contractual reasons. I don't think the Redskins intend to sweetened the deal much. So it will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Bethesda, Md.: Will WR Taylor Jacobs be given more playing time this year?

Nunyo Demasio: The Redskins really like Taylor Jacobs. So far in his short NFL career, he's been a guy who looks good in training camp and then when the season starts he gets nicked up and disappears. But he has all the tools. Based on his contract, Moss is the no. 1 receiver, but Jacobs should compete with David Patten for the no. 2 gig.

Brooklyn, N.Y.: Hey Nunyo, thanks for doing this chat. Need a redskins fix ...

Any word on how Jason Campbell looked in his first workouts? Tired as I am of the decade-long QB carosel in DC, at least this time we've got a couple of young guys instead of castoffs from other teams. Also, Campbell's wearing #17. I think i read he was asking Doug Williams for permission... Any idea if he really did that or if there was any opposition to wearing his number?

Nunyo Demasio: You're welcome.

Jason Campbell looked terric during the three-day rookie camp last month. He had a live arm, was mobile and wasn't flustered. Of course, he didn't face much defensive competition. But the flip side is during minicamp, he'll also have better receivers. Campbell did ask for permission, and apparently it was granted since he's wearing the number. (Side note, Williams -- who is a Bucs official now -- dubbed Campbell the best quarterback in the draft class, before the actual draft.)

Alexandria, Va.: For the most part Drew Rosenhaus has not been an agent to advocate holding out. Yet, this off-season, he seems to have radically changed his ways. Any thoughts on why this is happening ?

Nunyo Demasio: Rosenhaus has always been known as a tough, tough agent, who doesn't hesitate to have his client holdout if necessary. For some reason, Rosenhaus doesn't have the same reputation as the Poston brothers although Rosenhaus has heldout more guys from camp over the years.

Rosenhaus's book was titled something like "A Shark Never Sleeps." He has more players than any agent in the NFL, and he's one of the best in the business. He is one of owner Daniel Snyder's favorite agents, though. So that may help in Taylor's situation.

Los Angeles, Calif.: Nunyo, Been reading that Gibbs is going to try out the shotgun offense in camp. Also that the skins will be looking to spread the field more next season. How can that be done when Gibbs only sends out 2 receivers on 3rd and long?

Nunyo Demasio: Gibbs is trying the shotgun after hiring new quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave who used it in Jacksonville last year . Last season, the Redskins were one of only three teams that didn't use the shotgun. The quarterbacks all year were pushing for it but Gibbs declined until now. Perhaps the biggest criticism of Gibbs's offense is that it was archaic in typically sending only two receivers for max protection although the QBs still got hit at a Spurrier-like pace. Gibbs intends to be more aggresive in the offense this season.

Toronto, Canada: Hey nunyo,

great job. What is the middle linebacker situation looking like and who is the leading candidate for that? How does the pickup of HOldman work into the defense, will be compete to start or be a depth guy?

Thanks!

Nunyo Demasio: (Toronto. One of my favorite cities -- a clean NYC.)

The middle linebacker situation is still uncertain. But Warrick Holdman is an excellent pick up. He's only 29, and if he stays healthy he should contribute a lot. He can play inside or outside. Right now, Lemar Marshall appears to be the guy who will get first crack. But there are several others who will get a chance during minicamp and training camp. With Holdman's signing, it appears to spell the end of Mike Barrow's career in Washington.

Silver Spring, Md.: Everyone's talking about the QBs but no one's really talking about the offensive line. What's the status of the o-line? Is Jansen healthy yet? Will Gibbs use some new schemes to allow Portis to do his thing rather than have to wait for the guards to pull to open holes for him?

Nunyo Demasio: The line should be improved this year with Jansen back. His rehab went well -- so well, that he felt he could have played at the end of last season. One of the big changes in the offense is how Gibbs uses Portis. Portis showed last season that he is not patient enough to be a counter-trey runner. I think the team will use more zone blocks from the get-go this time, and Portis should have a better year.

Richmond, Va.: What can you tell us about the LB we drafted who used to be in the Reserve? That guy is built like a house...

Nunyo Demasio: Robert McCune, you're talking about. Yes, he's built like a brick house. The guy is a physical specimen. He's 26. Has a great story since he served time in the Army before going to Louisville. He's a corporal. His stock dropped because of his age -- he was picked in the 5th round -- but the Redskins believe they have a steal if McCune can overcome the mental challenges of learning the middle linebacker spot in Gregg Williams's defense.

Beijing, China: Hey Nunyo, will Patrick Ramsey have his "break out" season this year, or will he never rise above the pack of mediocre quarterbacks in the NFL?

Nunyo Demasio: China. Wow. Redskins fans are all over.

Ramsey better have a breakout season for his sake or his days with the Redskins are numbered. No matter what the Redskins say about Jason Campbell, they gave up three picks to draft him 25th overall. You don't give up three picks including next year's first-rounder for a developmental quarterback. Campbell was brought here to eventually start.

Washington, D.C.: Nunyo, what's your take on this: despite getting panned for a few moves this offseason, this has been a very healthy offseason for the Skins in comparison to years past. True, they probably blew the Coles situation and the merits of the Campbell trade are yet to be seen, but they didn't throw money at overhyped free agents and they've quitely picked up some solid vets (Rabach, Holdman). Isn't that what the Partiots get applauded for doing every year?

Nunyo Demasio: Yes, the Patriots get applauded for that. But the Patriots have the same philosophy year in and year out, and have won Super Bowls recently.

The Redskins financial philosophy seems almost random with outsiders being overpaid instead of homegrown products. But you have a good point. Every off season, the Redskins make splashy moves but then struggle in the regular season. Maybe this year, the Redskins reverse that and have a surprising playoff season.

Olympia, Wash.: Hey Nunyo, I got one question for ya: Playoffs this year?

Nunyo Demasio: Will know better after training camp.

I know that's a lame answer:)

Arlington, Va.: After seeing what the Patriots and Eagles do on a consistent basis, could the value of star player (Owens, Sean Taylor) be overrated? The Eagles probably would have been in the NFC championship game even without Owens, and the skins D played well when Taylor was absent. I guess what I am getting at is could there be success in teams just forming a league wide ban on Rosenhaus players in order to stop this nonsense of already-under-contract negotiations?

Nunyo Demasio: Well, Jeff Lurie, the Eagles owner has said unequivocally that Owens won't get a new contract. So you're seeing that happen in Philadelphia.

Arlington, Va.: Mccants said in an interview that the Redskins throw deep a lot in practice and that it is in the playbook, just that Gibbs didn't call the plays during the game. Did you see that during practice last year?

Nunyo Demasio: One of the problems with the Redskins offense last season in talking to some players is that Gibbs was so cloak-and-dagger during training camp and preseason that the unit never had a real chance to use several plays from practice in games. Gibbs was secretive and didn't start unveiling stuff in games until the regular season. And some of the ultra conservative stuff didn't work well against modern-day blitzes. And it was too late to make wholesale changes right away. I'm guessing that Gibbs opens up his playbook more during preseason and is a whole lot more aggressive this season.

Herndon, Va.: Why do you write mostly negative articles on the Redskins?

Nunyo Demasio:

Our first heckler.

Welcome:)

I don't think my stories are mostly negative. I guess Coles wanting out was negative, and claiming the Redskins agreed to release him. But that's a news story. So is losing Pierce and Smoot. My partner Jason and I just write the stories and let the facts speak for themselves.

If I was known as Mr. Negative at Redskins Park, I think players and coaches would run away when they saw me. Most of them don't:)

Washington, D.C.: How much will Sean not showing up to the workouts hurt him? Has anyone heard from him at all?

Nunyo Demasio: Taylor has spoken to some teammates. I'm not sure if he's spoken to some defensive coaches. Gibbs stopped calling Taylor after he didn't return a call or two. That's a shame, but I guess Taylor is letting Rosenhaus handle everything. A few guys have heard from Taylor but he's kinda gone underground. He was even working out on his own, instead of working out at the University of Miami with former Hurricanes like Portis and Moss.

Rocky Mount, N.C.: Hi Nunyo. It looks like the Skins are loading up on LB's. I know they play an important role in Williams' defense. What do you think is going on? Barrow is as good as gone. Lavar hasn't opened his yap lately, maybe he was reminded that the defense played darned good without him last season. Anyhing new on what might happen with Rod (50/50) Gardner?. This comment may be out of left field but I don't think the Skins are gonna do much of anything until they break this "losing" to Dallas funk they're in. Notice I said "losing to" not "beaten by". Looking forwarded to a good season. Cheers and tks for the chat.

Nunyo Demasio: You're welcome.

Fairfax, Va.: Nunyo, Why are the Redskins even considering signing Freddie Mitchell. He is exactly what this team does not need. They will look like fools if they get him.

Nunyo Demasio: I was remiss in putting a note in the paper on this last week. But the Redskins won't be signing Mitchell. Gibbs said late last week that the team looked into it and decided against it. Gibbs wouldn't say just how much consideration was given. I'd guess not much. It was Mitchell who was publicly talking about playing in Washington.

Herndon, Va: Sorry, I think I meant Sally Jenkins, my fault? You are not that negative.

Nunyo Demasio: Sally is only one of the greatest sportswriters in the world. (I wouldn't mind being called Mr. Negative if I could write like her.)

Takoma Park: How long do you give Gibbs? Not sure even God Gibbs could put up with Danny Boy too long.

Nunyo Demasio: Gibbs reiterated last week that he intends to coach through the length of the five-year, $28.5 mm contract he signed before last season.

Boulder, Colo.: Why do the Redskins always do moves that have to be justified? Why can't they just do something that most agree is a solid move?

Nunyo Demasio: Who cares if it's justified or not. As long as it's a move that pays off later on. That's all that matters. In recent years though, the moves haven't panned out good enough to make the playoffs.

Phoenix, Ariz.: Nunyo I know this is old news but I still have trouble figuring out why Lavernaeus Coles wanted to leave the Skins so badly. He seems like a solid guy who left the Jets to get big money and be the featured receiver with the Skins. Even with the teams struggles last year you would think Gibbs explained to him how they were going to open things up and play more aggresively. Why did he still want out so bad?

Nunyo Demasio: It's ironic that Coles is leaving as the Redskins are opening up their offense. There was too much ego involved. I think things became personal. A net cap hit of $6mm this year doesn't make a whole lot of sense to get rid of a guy. (With Coles still here, the Redskins would have been able to spend extra to sign Smoot and Pierce, if the team wanted.) Ty Law with the Patriots cursed out his coach publicly and whined, but the team still kept him. But maybe it was best for all sides that Coles left. If he wasn't happy, it wouldn't have been ideal in the locker room.

Washington, D.C.: Nunyo, it doesn't look like Darnerian is going to be cut or traded (does it?), so will his role this year be the big target that he should be, or will he be inactive all year again? If the issue is his practice habits, have those changd?

Nunyo Demasio: McCants is Washington's biggest receiver so that should give him a role if he sticks around. McCants still doesn't play special teams so he will have to come on strong in training camp to keep from another season of being regularly listed as inactive.

Fairfax Station, Va.: Hey Nunyo,

With the departures of Pierce and Smoot, do you think the offseason acquisitions on defense will compensate enough for Williams' D to remain one of the best in the NFL?

Nunyo Demasio: Williams reminded us recently that people predicted the defense would stink last year.

He has a great point.

Atlanta, Ga.-skins fan: Sup Nuns, Do you think whenever Gibbs decides he's had enough whether that be next year or after his contract expires do you think he will continue to be involved in the front office? Will he totally abandoned the NFL or do you see him actually being involved with the day to day operations with the team?

Nunyo Demasio: Even when Gibbs eventually steps down, I think he'll have some kind of role in the front office.

Newport Beach, Calif.: Nunyo, nice job with your coverage of the Redskins.

How is Coach and ownership handling the situation with our new #21? I want to believe that he will be here for mandatory camp, but am concerned if brass gives into a contract re-write.

Also, I'm hopeful that we may stiil be able to pick up a pass-rush specialist prior to end of preseason, even though our linebacker corps should be just as good if not better, despite losing Pierce.

We'll see. Thanks.

Nunyo Demasio: Thanks.

There are no pass rushers available. So defensive end Philip Daniels being healthy should be like a new addition and will help.

Boulware was released last week by the Ravens, but he's too expensive for the Redskins.

Las Vegas, N.V.: Hi Nunyo, I remember when Joe Gibbs returned to coaching the one thing he was going to bring back to the team was stability and team continuity. Seeing Fred Smoot on TV at the Wizards game the other night made me think about how the team didn't really fulfill any of their objectives this offseason. They lost their two top free agents in Smoot and Pierce, have a disgruntled unhealthy Arrington, couldn't trade Ron Gardner and merely drafted a replacement for Smoot and a project at quarterback while giving up key future picks. To an outsider, the Skins don't seem to be any closer to winning than they have been the last 10 years what are your thoughts?

Nunyo Demasio: We'll find out more next season.

Atlanta, Ga.-skins fan: Seriously, can someone tell me what the deal is between Len Pasquerelli and this Redskins organization. I mean he has a serious personal vendetta against my team. And I hate it. Did someone in the organization shoot his dog or slap his Momma? This is important information, I need to know this stuff.

Nunyo Demasio: Pasquarelli like him or not is one of the hardest working and most plugged-in NFL writers around. There are theories that he has become anti-Redskin after Mark Maske and Len Shapiro broke the Gibbs returns story. (I think CBS Sportsline also got it.) Supposedly, Pasquarelli felt lied to by the Skins. But I can't confirm this. This is just some scuttlebutt. Still, as long as the Redskins lose, a lot of Pasquarelli's takes will be proven right.

Nunyo Demasio: Thanks for your questions. Enjoy the weather.

Cheers.

Herndon, Va: Sorry, I think I meant Sally Jenkins, my fault? You are not that negative.

Nunyo Demasio: Sally is only one of the greatest sportswriters in the world. (I wouldn't mind being called Mr. Negative if I could write like her.)

Good lord, did he really say that?

Where the hell did that come from? That's downright scary ...

If it'd been anyone else, I'd be calling shenanigans. With Nunyo saying this, it just explains why he doesn't get it & why he never will. If ignorance were bliss, ol Nunyo'd be the happiest s.o.b. ever. At this point, he's become so laughable, he's nothing more then a sad, little shell of a man.

Whaaaa? Sally Jenki......... :rubeyes: If I wasn't sitting down, then it would have been a longer fall to the floor. Don't they have some type of rule about drinking while doing these chats?

I'll have what he did though. ;)

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Whaaaa? Sally Jenki......... :rubeyes: If I wasn't sitting down, then it would have been a longer fall to the floor. Don't they have some type of rule about drinking while doing these chats?

I'll have what he did though. ;)

Sportwriting makes strange bedfellows?

:quickie:

Is it just me, or does it seem like Nunyo used this chat to try to defend himself? First he includes a bunch of emails saying things like good job, then he includes 1 email asking why he writes so negative. He writes his prepared "our first heckler" response, and then goes on to include a few more "good job" emails. Maybe I'm just reading too much between the lines, but the whole piece comes off contrived to me.

Originally posted by GSF

Is it just me, or does it seem like Nunyo used this chat to try to defend himself? First he includes a bunch of emails saying things like good job, then he includes 1 email asking why he writes so negative. He writes his prepared "our first heckler" response, and then goes on to include a few more "good job" emails. Maybe I'm just reading too much between the lines, but the whole piece comes off contrived to me.

GSF... I had the EXACT same thought.

Especially when he said 'our first heckler, welcome'

Like he was expecting it... more hecklers even.

Would Mark Maske ever say 'our first heckler, welcome'?

No... he'd just answer the question and move on...

Originally posted by zoony

and nunyo's articles are like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get

You sure about that, zoony? Seems to me we're rarely if ever suprised these days ... pretty much always coconut.

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

If it'd been anyone else, I'd be calling shenanigans. With Nunyo saying this, it just explains why he doesn't get it & why he never will. If ignorance were bliss, ol Nunyo'd be the happiest s.o.b. ever. At this point, he's become so laughable, he's nothing more then a sad, little shell of a man.

The state of the Post's sports columnists is sad. Wilbon is alright, especially given the volume of his output. Wise, eh. Boswell does a nice job with baseball, but...it's baseball.

The tragedy is that Jenkins is probably the most adept writer of them all, yet the direction and/or substance of her columns of late render them as useless as Kornheiser's.

TK himself used to be a decent writer, as evidenced by this article describing the premiere of "The Empire Strikes Back." But he's fallen into irrelevance and schtick.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/04/AR2005050401458.html

I know the Post's writers are respected among their peers, so maybe this is as good as it gets, but I hope not.

In this era of internet news, cable news, blogs, message boards, spin, etc... it seems that newspapers are AFRAID to simply report the news anymore.

God forbid they should be un-controversial and ordinary. Seems that newspapers are willing to forsake the story in order to draw attention to themselves... nothing is out of bounds.

We've seen it with the NY Times, the WP, and most recently Newsweek.

I don't want to get too into it, because I realize it's just the sports section we're talking about... but still, I think Nunyo's style is indicative of modern journalism among newspapers.

So to answer the question, "Is this as good as it gets?"

Sadly, yes... imho.

Archived