Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lenny P weighs in again

Yomar

Originally posted by mookie0720

I personally don't give a **** if you have faith in me.

Sorry I haven't given my 50 required positive posts since Saturday!

There you go again, a good portion of you blind homers can't accept negativity.

I vote Troll

I vote let's not go there and leave well enough alone in that area. Been way too much of that already this past week or so.

As for Len P, technically he's correct about the Qb's in the draft, however, I think philisophically he could easily have included, ( and I think maybe he could have), the 1989 draft with the Cowboys. Aikman was taken first overall, and then in the summer of that year in the supplemental draft, Johnson picked up Steve Walsh to challenge Aikman and man did that start some fireworks. Both with the media and the Cowboys. Saw how that turned out. Who knows what happens with this one? Could be fun watching though.

Originally posted by Beaudry

Excellent point. Brees was selected with the #32 pick. Ramsey was taken #31. We selected Campbell #25, while they took Manning/Rivers #1 overall. They also took Ryan Leaf #2 overall a few years back.

This is just manipulating the numbers. No way Lenny P would call out the Chargers for their picks.

And actually Ramsey was the same as Brees, both were the 32nd pick just the Chargers took Brees the year before when the 32nd pick was a 2nd rounder which means that in reality they have used a first rounder on a QB in 3 of the past 7 seasons,

But Pastabelly is a joke. Can he let us in on when Gibbs lied to Ramsey? And does he know that Ramsey was picked in the first round by Spurrier and not Gibbs which mean that Ramsey wasn't selected by Gibbs.

Also looking at past drafts I see that the redskins drafted a QB in 8 of the 12 seasons that Gibbs was the coach last time and as I recall they did pretty good 10 of those 12 seasons. Actually they drafted a QB in 3 of 4 SB seasons which must mean that we have a pretty good chance of getting there this time, right Lenny?

One more thing, the Redskins drafted a DB with their first pick in their first 3 SB seasons and defense was their first pick in all 4 SB teams so I guess we are guaranteed to go to the SB now, using Lenny's logic that drafting trends have actual meaning.

Random points:

1)

Did he forget we went 24 years without drafting a first round QB? Since 1970 we have drafted three QB's in the first round.

Lets..see that is an average of......11.6 years. There ya go Len. We are right in line with the NFL average. Happy now? ;)

2)

Why stop at 1970? Because that where L.P.'s theory is shot to sh*t:

Dolphins:

1966 Jim Grabowski RB Illinois; Rick Norton QB Kentucky

1967 Bob Griese QB Purdue

Look at that! Two first round QB's back to back!! Imagine that.

Miami won SB VII and VIII.

But wait there's more:

NY Jets:

1962 Sandy Stevens QB Minnesota

1963 Jerry Stovall HB Louisiana State

1964 Matt Snell FB Ohio State

1965 Joe Namath QB Alabama

Tom Nowatzke FB Indiana

Three years in between QB, a Len P no-no. Jets won SB III

Thats two teams that broke the L.P. rule and then won the Super Bowl.

Yet there is no instance where one team drafted two first round QB's, ten years apart and have them both take that team to a Super Bowl victory. None. Ziltch.

:logo:

I can't sleep so I'll chime in. First off, great post MadDog. Great example of how statistics can be manipulated. Lenny didn't arbitrarily pick 1970. If he wanted to be objective, he should have used the modern superbowl era as his timeline.

Mookie, I think you have to expect to find a lot of homerism and wishful thinking on a fan discussion board. I don't think being critical of your team makes you a troll or not a fan. It's been frustrating to be a fan and you clearly have a passion for the team. I think you may have an especially difficult time if you really are just 18. Do you even remember the last Redskin Superbowl?

Lenny and other journalists are missing the boat. The big problem has been the regime changes. Personnel has had to be revamped when we went from the Norv era to Marty ball to Air Spurrier to run-first Gibbs. That's a fair criticism of the skins from a homer (me). The frequency of QB drafts that Lenny comments on, and Jenkin's rant how few draftees are still with the Skins, are all by-products of the regime changes.

The honest-to-God, objective truth, though, is that all of this turn-over is in the rear-view mirror. Gibbs is a man of his word, and he says he's staying. No chance Danny fires Gibbs. Gibbs is going to return the franchise to prominence the right way. It's not going to happen overnight.:logo:

Originally posted by Snyder Dan

Chew on this for a while: The average time between first-round quarterback picks by the same team, leaguewide since 1970, is 12.1 years. In the past 12 drafts, Washington has taken three quarterbacks in the first round, with Heath Shuler (1994) joining Ramsey and Campbell. More reflective of how NFL teams invest in first-round signal-callers? How about the Pittsburgh Steelers, who drafted Terry Bradshaw in 1970, Mark Malone in 1980 and Ben Roethlisberger in 2004. There have been nine cases since 1970 in which a team selected a first-round quarterback, then went 20 years or more before taking another one. But not the Redskins. They apparently plan to keep drafting first-round quarterbacks until they get it right.

Lenny forgot to mention that our previous first rounder before Shuler spent on a QB was in 1961 meaning that in the 44 years since we have drafted 3 QBs. What is his point anyway? Its not like the Steelers have been winning back to back Super bowls since they stopped drafting #1 QB's. In fact in the time between them drafting Malone and Roethlisberger the Redskins have 3 more SB wins than the Steelers.

Come on guys. This fat a$$ wrote this article so he can point out once again that he had the "inside scoop" of this pick. What a low life scumbag. Obviously he didn't get enough praise for "uncovering" the fact we were going to draft Campbell so he wanted once again to parade in front of the NFL world how smart he is. Pathetic.

Originally posted by mookie0720

II'm not going to sit here and drink the Kool-Aid and believe in blind homerism to Joe Gibbs and mass-media conspiracy against the Redskins.

Well, you should believe in Joe Gibbs. I know you were 5 when he last led the Redskins to an NFL championship, but maybe you should do your homework on that subject before you act as though you know more than he does about constructing and leading a quality football team.

I don't think anyone has written of a 'conspiracy.' What many people realize (many people who aren't Redskins fans) is that some of the major sports journalism outlets, e.g. SI and ESPN, feature writers who take a special glee in criticizing the Redskins. Some of my closest friends are NYG and Eagles fans, and they too wonder why the writers are so anti-Skins.

Pasquarelli is on a different level. If you can't detect the bile in his writing about the 'Skins, you need a dictionary and some reading-comprehension practice. Have you ever read the article that followed Joe Gibbs' hiring last February? You might want to check that one out before you try to defend him. And I don't mean offense here, but I doubt you've taken many journalism classes, beyond maybe working on a high school newspaper. There are certain standards to which he doesn't always adhere. His manipulation of statistics in the subject article is a transparent attack on the Redskins.

You claim to be a results-oriented fan. "Win, and they'll leave us alone." But while the Redskins have fared poorly in recent years, there are still teams whose fortunes are worse. Have you seen many Pasquarelli articles insulting the Cardinals or 49ers, for example? There are other teams equally deserving of criticism, if we're to proceed using the "results" standard. Why does he refrain from laying into their coaches, players, front office, and players' agents? The man simply (and I mean that in many ways) does not like the Redskins. Do you disagree?

Originally posted by Cool Hand Loki

You claim to be a results-oriented fan. "Win, and they'll leave us alone." But while the Redskins have fared poorly in recent years, there are still teams whose fortunes are worse. Have you seen many Pasquarelli articles insulting the Cardinals or 49ers, for example? There are other teams equally deserving of criticism, if we're to proceed using the "results" standard. Why does he refrain from laying into their coaches, players, front office, and players' agents? The man simply (and I mean that in many ways) does not like the Redskins. Do you disagree?

Seriously, he could write an article a week on how bad the 9ers have been managed under their current ownership but he sticks with Skins hate articles instead.

Originally posted by BogeyMan

There's one way to shut Lenny P up:

WIN!.

Look back at the articles about Bellichick before the 2001 season after he finished the 2000 season at 5-11: Bellichick can't relate to players, he's a martinet...

Martinet - martinet \mar-t'n-ET\, noun:

1. A strict disciplinarian.

2. One who lays stress on a rigid adherence to the details of forms and methods.

I had to look it up. Learn something new every day. I thought you meant to say marionette. :doh: A lot of that sounds quite familiar.

It will be great when we force Len to eat crow. Wait, bad example... He might enjoy that, shaked and baked, with some hot sauce.

Originally posted by SkinsTillIDie

Why/how does ESPN put up with all of his crap? He may have been a somewhat decent reporter in his time, but does that give him the right to spew absolute bullcrap whenever he wishes, and for ESPN to actually project that bullcrap to millions of people?

Whatever happened to journalistic integrity?

They put up with it because people read him. Everytime someone clicks the link to his articles, ESPN says "YAY!"

Clicks=money from advertisers.

Lenny's problem is penis envy. Plain and simple.

But Lenny,

baby,

it's not that your penis is so small, it's that you're so fat, it looks like a half-eaten Vienna Sausage.

Being there's not enough staples in the world to use on your gut, you might consider stapling your mouth shut. Then if you lost some weight, you wouldn't have to write articles begging for someone to pat you on the back. Since everyone knows you're to fat to reach your opposite shoulder, much less your back.

Lenny does point out a meaningless stat about drafting Qbs in the first round since the seventies.. what he doesn't point out is the way the NFl has changed over the last five years.

In the 70s and 80s and 90s coaches were hired and stayed for years.. now a coach has about 2 years to turn it around or he's toast.

Being as that is how it is, coaches with such short ropes tend to choose their own QB to hang themselves with.

Practically every coach that has been hired over the last five years has brought in a new QB within a year... there's a few exceptions,, Mike Tice and Daunte Culpepper, And Mora, jr, with Mike Vick. Marriucci inherited Joey Harrington, but that honeymoon seems to be ending soon as well.

The Redskins have changed coaches 4 times in 5 years and have had 5 different starters. Johnson, George, Banks, Weurffel/Matthews, Ramsey, and Brunell.

This trend is not unique to Washington. The Bills, Dolphins, Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, Bengals, Browns, Bears, Panthers, Bucs, 49ers, Rams, Cardinals, Chargers, Raiders and Chiefs have all had coaching changes within the last five years, and all of them brought in a new QB almost immediately. Even the darling New England Patriots. (Some of them have had several QBs start within the last few years.) Most of them didn't use a first round pick to secure the QB, (San Diego used 2 first on QBs, but not within Lenny's 2 year test window,, they did it within 3 years.)

It's pretty simple.

NEW COACH = NEW QUARTERBACK

You'd think in all his years of covering the NFL, Lenny would realize that.

But hey,, that wouldn't adequately bash the Redskins, so why bother? As I just showed in about 5 minuters is that this is really NOT a news item, that drafting Campbell is indicative of a general trend around the NFL, that when teams change coaches, invariably they change QBs, (MANY of which have gone the expensive free agency route to do so... which lenny seems only to bash when the Skins do) ,, as a side note, it could be shown that only 3 teams have used a 1st on a QB within 2 years, but Lenny chose to make that the crux of his article.

Why? Because rather than show that the NFL as a whole does the same QB shuffle when coaches change, it's more his style to pile on the Redskins for being part of a small anomaly that has drafted 2 guys within 2 years.

To those who can't see the "conspiracy" ... understand that the conspiracy in the media towards the Redskins is born of a mob mentality. It's EASY to write bad spin about the Skins because people out there are predisposed to believe it.

It's EASY to do because hardly anyone outside of us questions it, and we can be brushed off as homers when we complain. People out there HATE Dan Snyder as if they know him personally. They believe all the junk that has been written about the man, most believe he's a silver-spoon spoiled rich kid, and that he inherited his money. The media has perpetuated the bad press aboput him because when they do, everyone AGREES with them. And everyone agrees with them because since Snyder bought the team, it's been one smear piece after another. (It started the day he took over and fired a bunch of office workers..)

The Redskins were a worse organization under John Cooke in the 90s then they have been since Snyder bought the team, but they never wrote about any of that because people didn't care. Cooke was a true silver spooner who ran the organization into the ground with an incompetent coach and bad front office management. But now because they have painted Snyder into this terrible reputation as a spoiled petty tyrant it is simply easy to continue the smear, rather than see the Campbell story for what it is,,, merely business as usual around the NFL.

~Bang

Originally posted by Woofer Magoo

Anyone who said Lenny P. is right did not read the article close enough.

Everything he writes is either his own biased opinion, half truth, or flat out wrong.

Definitely. The guy flat out makes **** up.

I dont understand why he harbors so much hate towards the Skins. Its painfully obvious in ALL of his articles. They can never do right. I hope Lennys heart is still pumping bacon grease when we win our next bowl so he can choke on that victory.

Archived