Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With Dotson in, who do you want now?

Art

What would be the best thing for us. Signing Adams, or coaxing Coleman back?

With Coleman, you can rotate Wynn and he at end to spell Smith, with Wynn moving inside to spell Dotson and Wilkinson. With Adams you have a wide body who can be spelled by Dotson and Dotson would also have to move outside some to spell Smith.

In answering this question, you must also presume Coleman would be slightly less expensive than Adams. Of the two, which would you prefer?

I'm not so sure that Coleman would be "slightly less expensive than Adams." But, if that's the case, I'd much rather have Adams. He's younger and is still playing top notch ball. The only question, however, that I have is how much of his Pro-Bowl play can be credited to the Goose. I guess we'll see.

I'm still wondering what's between Adams and Lewis. I thought that Marvin wasn't real high on Adams for some reason.

I like Marco, and would rather see him come back if given the choice. I've watched Dotson play a lot, and think it's a good signing. He still has plenty of gas in the tank IMO.

FUnny thing Art,

You wrote about resigning Coleman as where to go next, and I thought that's a great idea. The only thing is, I was thinking our OL Ben Coleman. Now that we have Dotson, we have so cpa room to go after a mid range FA on the OL. Then I would spend the rest of my cap money to extend Jansen & Champ. Of course, that's just how I'd do it.

Our next signing, out of left field without warning just like Dotson, will be...

Antonio Freeman

Marvin got Trotter and Dotson, now it's Spurrier's turn to get a new weapon for his arsenal. They won't go back to addressing the D-line until this is taken care of.

Not to say I'd WANT this to happen, but I've got a gut feeling about it...

To answer the question..........

I'd take the beer, eh, Sam Adams.

My understanding of Lewis' scheme - a rudimentary understanding I'll admit - is that the key to the D, is stuffing the middle thereby letting the LBs fly around and crush people. This scenario develops a supposed weakness in providing outside pressure. Well, we have the LBs to provide that pressure. We are VERY fast on the outside with LaVar, Champ and Smooty. If I'm not mistaken, I think we can also use Santana (gotta luv that name) as an occasional DE too.

The converse scenario (get Marco instead of SA) and therefore have stronger outside pressure, doesn't seem as effective as the scenario above. First, those 2 - Marco and Bruce - didn't really provide all that much pressure last year and Wynn is supposedly only a slight upgrade from Marco at the DE from my understanding.

Therefore, if I had to pick, I'd take Adams.

I am concerned about the apparent/supposed disconnect between Lewis and Adams. I imagine that if it's something REAL big, one of those two would put the wammy on the deal. If he does in fact come here, I'm gonna assume that the issue never really existed or it's not that important.

BUT..................

Who says this is a mutually exclusive deal? Yes, I'm probably dreaming, but there is nothing to say that we don't get BOTH!!!

Fishy like, hhhhmmmm, Fishy like indeed!:cool:

It's a combo of GBear and Buddha, Art.

We can extend Bailey and Jansen, have some left to bring back Coleman, and then maybe sign a WR that fits the handling of similar #1 duties, though SOS isn't as deep into this as most. He likes to spread the wealth, so a bunch of overacheiving #2's is just as good.

There seems to be give and take on the OG, since Vickers has been signed. With that, I'd re-sign Coleman, solidyfiing the O-Line, or at least Ray Brown for a year, then see what's out there still for a low cost DT and/or decent priced WR.

Extend Rock Jansen and Champ, but still go after Sammie Adams.

As was stated in a previous post S Dotson can play DE so an occasional 3-4 scheme with BDW and Dotson at the ends with Sammie at NG to put the offense of balance would be great.

Then we could even use the Pats 5-2 lineup like they did against the Rams Wynn,BDW,Sammie Adams,Dotson and Leverette/B Smith.

Whoa nellie, the possibilities.

Escholz,

We had a top flight pass defense a year ago with limited pass rush, a below average run defense and David Terrell and Sam Shade at safety. We don't need a safety. We need to shore up the lines.

I've been saying for months that we will sign a vet wide receiver to round out that unit, and while I still believe that's possible, it's only so if Russell or one of the young guys proves he can't play. I do think Spurrier intends to go with Gardner, Green, Anthony and Lockett as his "experienced" group of receivers, and we have only a couple of roster spots left for more.

We really should look to add a solid defensive lineman and offensive lineman and then call it an offseason. The beauty of these recent signings is we got Dotson and Vickers for around $500,000 in cap hit (when you subtract the Rule of 51 players making $209,000 from their hits). This means we can add another vet at a similar price and then cut Greer or Albright and have room for more while still having the Coleman cap savings to sign the whole draft class.

If we had Dotson in our sights, was it really a wise move to cut Coleman? Couldn't we have renegotiated him down to around 2 mil (rather than unrealistically trying to get him on at vet min), cut Greer, and still have $$ for the rookies and maybe a LG? Instead, we're taking on more dead money and fighting a losing battle to get him back. Smith is no longer an every down player, and if Dotson went down, we could've moved Wynn inside.

I like the moves so far.

Safety isnt a concern epecially if Ohalete is what some of us expect him to be.

It pays to develop and go with youth especially homegrown inexpensive youth.

Signing a WR means goodbye to D Mac, D Thompson and Skaggs if we keep veterans Gardner,Green,Lockett, and Anthony since we are sticking with Russell since he was drafted by this regime.

Hopefully we dont pick up anymore WR

I can't imagine signing another WR. Our money has got to go to bolstering our lines, no way around it. Right now we can still pick up another DL and a guard or two, and all of the sudden the future is looking a little brighter than it was a couple days ago.

I think one factor, here, is the numbers I've heard.

I keep hearing things about a $8M bonus for Adams, and mentions of vet min for Coleman. (Although, if Coleman was willing to take vet min, I don't see why we couldn't re-negotiate something).

I like what I've heard about Adams. I'm a believer in the DT who plants both feet in concrete, ties up two OL blockers, and makes the offense run around the crowd. (My favorite Skin before Darrell was Dave Butz. I suspect one thing I liked about him was his name). If he never makes a tackle, but he ties up two blockers, (and doesn't get moved), then he's done his job.

And, I'm a big fan of the vet min rule. I could see a team where the entire DL (and, maybe the OL) are blue-collar vet min players, and the long-term contracts are used to tie up the so-called "skill players".

I think ESPN insider is saying that the 49ers are very much interested in DT Jim Flanigan and that if he is signed, the Niners might release Reggie McGrew.

McGrew might be one of those young players who just need a change of scenery to maximize their potential. At 25, and over 310 punds, McGrew would be the "wide body" that the Skins need.

Wonder why Flanigan isn't being looked at as well...

If Adams were only slightly more expensive than Coleman, as you hypothesize, Art, then I'd definitely prefer Adams. But I strongly suspect that Adams will get a couple million dollar bonus, w/ an average salarly of a couple million a year, while Coleman might only get the vet minimum (and 25,000 bonus), or more likely a few hundred thousand bonus and something just above 1 million/year. With those figures, I'd much prefer resigning Coleman.

Archived