Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With Dotson in, who do you want now?

Art

I definitely understand the desire for a better safety than Terrell, and a bigGER name WR than what we have....but I think the key to winning lies in the lines. That has been our weakness in the NFC East recently, and if we can get those parts of our team solidified, I think there is no limit to what we can do. Sign Adams, plug the middle, and let LA get defensive player of the year.

What to do with the $$$$$.

right now, we are $3.83 million Under (+775k for Greer +650k for Albright)=$5.255 Million.

$5.255 Million Cap Space

-3.5 mill for rookies

-1.0mill for guard

-.755 for contract extensions

I don't see how Adams, a WR, or Safety can fit into this budget.

I really don't understand how that draft pool # works. From what I understand, all the drafted guys are considered tendered (those salaries are already accounted for), I figure actual salaries may increase that # by 250K. Now to bonuses, looking at previous years that'll range around 1.25M to 1.75M based on structure. The drafted guys should really cost around 1.5 to 2 million. Since they are already considered tendered at the minimum, isn't most of the $ we need for bonuses? Isn't it to make sure we can pay them next year?

Both Greer and Albright will not be cut until we have no choice. Greer could still bring us a late-rounder if an article I read about a CB shortage is true else we are just waiting for him to get the clearance from the doctor. Albright is dirt cheap next year and we may need him this year, we got to look at his competition in game situations, don't we?

If we decide Barker is the way to go this year (but feel that somone else will be available next year since this plan would end his current contract), we could do an admin cut and bring him back for the minimum on a 1 year deal (kind of like Dotsan). We do that and get around 250K back in virtual $ while he'd get a by pocketing a front-end bonus of about 25K. Risk is minimal since I'm sure no one would out bid us. Of course, we also put off developing a punter of our own.

So, we hold on to Albright until the last cuts, either make a play like I suggested above or maybe our youg punters prove better (that'd be the best for us) and use that $ to extend Jansen (I've heard that Runyon's contract may be our best benchmark here) and maybe Bailey.

I would not want to have to make final cut decisions based on cap. I'd also think you want some flexability to bring a decent player in if somebody is hurt.

So Albright and a piece of Greer goes for extensions, I think we'll have about 1M here. I expect the high-end for rookies, so that'll be another 2M. We bring in a guard and maybe a de for 1.5M cap hit. I'd want the rest for flexability. I agree with panel, we got no room in the budget.

I still want the Skins to get Adams. Dotson can not hold up blockers the way Adams can. With a starting line of Adams, Wilkinson Smith and Wynn, they will eat up all the blockers allowing our LBs to destroy backfields.

As far as extending Jansen and Bailey, I suspect that will only happen after Stephen Davis's contract situation is resolved. Bailey won't go anywhere anyway, the Skins will franchise him before he gets a chance to leave.

Archived