Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest Guitar solo(s) of all time

Golgo-13

Hmmmmm. ( In no particular order and not really a top 10. Just those i could think of off the top of my head. such as it is.....ahem)

1) Obligatory Hendrix name it suggestion.

2) Okay Eddie Van Halen, yea that one, but there is also "Black and Blue". Awsome

3) Stevie Ray Vaughn Crossfire

4)Lynard Skynard Freebird

5) Obligatory Jimmy Paige " pick one" response. Stairway and Rock and Roll for me.

6) My man Ace. Rocket Ride, Shock me, (live. play it right before or after Eruption. Hmmm). Dirty Livin.

7) Eagles Hotel California (studio), Just seemed to fit into the song really well.

8)Metallica Sad but True

9) Guns and Roses mr. Brownstone or welcome to the jungle. (hey, Seet child of mine has already been mentioned).

10) Er... Ozzie Ozborne's lead guitarist in Crazy Train Little help please?

Bonus pick: George Thorogood Bad to the Bone :cool:

Stevie Ray Vaughn

David Gilmour

Jimmy Page

Jimi Hendrix

Neal Young

Steve Gaines

Chet Atkins

Robin Trower

Keith Richards

Pete Townsend

Eddie Van Halen

Muddy Waters

B B King

Les Paul

Gary Richrath

And I'm sure there is a bunch more..........:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Originally posted by joe

No, it wasn't crossroads, but it might have been Robert Johnson, that the solo came from, and I suppose I was a little harsh when I used the words "ripped off" I was just typing fast.

I was surprised when I heard the solo note for note played by an old bluesman, late on the radio one night. One likes to think that live solos are more spontaneous, born out of the moment. At least that is the way I always envisioned it.

You're thinking of Strange Brew, which is identical to Albert King's Crosscut Saw. Clapton's version of Crossroads is nothing like the original, though Skynyrd's version is almost a note for note take on Clapton's version.

My favorite guitar solo by Clapton is definitely White Room. Love the wah-wah. Love his solo on Presence of the Lord for the same reason. His version of Have You Ever Loved a Woman on the Layla LP is in my opinion, the greatest slow 12 bar blues guitar work ever recorded. Watchtower is probably Jimi's greatest solo, but the chordal work on Little Wing, especially the intro, is absolutely fantastic. Took the Curtis Mayfield style to a new level. Other favorite solos:

Eric Johnson -Cliffs of Dover

Jeff Beck - Cause We've Ended As Lovers

Gary Moore - Still Got the Blues

Gary Hoey - too many to name

Clapton and Duane Allman - Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad

Originally posted by escholz

I heard that it took Clapton, who is one of the all time greats, months to learn "I shot the sheriff" by Marley. I'm not sure why that is, but I think he had a hard time with it. I will also have to agree with Terry about the solo from "Cult of Personality," that was a great one.

What happened was he didn't like the way it kept coming out. He thought it sounded too "white," and wasn't true to the spirit of the original. He wanted to leave it off the record, but the producer and the guys in the band convinced him otherwise. It ended up being his first #1 single.

Another guitar player I really love who is often overlooked is the guy from Atlanta Rhythm Section. Love his solos on Spooky and So Into You.

Although I hate the band Budgie, the one great song they did was "Parents," which has one of my favorite solos of all time on it.

Originally posted by indyskinsfan

GeeZ! You know what? After all the babbling and listing I did, I didn't answer the first question! OK

"Maggot Brain" the Funkadelic, 1972

Dude, I was gonna mention this one, and you beat me to it. The live version is KILLER. One of the first solos I ever tried learning.

• 2 years later...

Gentlemen, sorry to dig this up, and yes, I know that it's over two years old...But I felt it would be an injustice not to mention my favorite guitar solo of all-time...I broke this record out for the first time in years just tonight, and I had to run a search for this thread.

Anyway, the most amazing solo I've ever heard comes from Lou Reed in the form of "I Heard Her Call My Name". WOW. I just listened to it a few minutes ago, and now I want to kill some hookers while shooting heroin with an HIV infected needle. I mean, freakin' WOW.

OK, sorry to interrupt. :)

How in the world did I miss this thread??

My favs are:

Jimmy Page.. Stairway to Heaven and Achillies Last Stand

Eddie Van Halen.. Mean Street and Hear About it Later

Eric Clapton.. Badge

Randy Rhodes.. Over the Mountain

Jimi Hendrix.. Machine Gun and All Along the Watchtower

I require melody in my solos, then shred factor so...

"Sweet Child O' Mine" - Slash, Guns N' Roses

"Comfortably Numb" - David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"Hey Jealousy" - Doug Hopkins, Gin Blossoms

"Shine" - Ross Childress, Collective Soul

"Celebration Day" - Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin

"Banditos" - Brian Blush, The Refreshments

"Dreams (live from Right Here, Right Now)" - Eddie Van Halen, Van Halen

...all that come to mind right now...

Jer

Tom Verlaine's solo from Marquee Moon.

There have definitely been solos that are harder to play, but as far as function in the song it was the best. It's been said that for Tom Verlaine virtuosity was a function of the mind rather than the fingers. I agree with this claim.

Gee, I'm kinda glad this thread returned, because I did not know that I had to respond to it.

It was not Strange Brew, Riggotoni, it was definitley one of the solos from Crossroads. Someday I'm going to find that old recording.

I believe that Lou Reed's lead guitarist was a guy named Stephen Hunter, at least he played the lead on the Rock and Roll Animal album, which begins with the fabulous Intro/Sweet Jane.

Originally posted by joe

Gee, I'm kinda glad this thread returned, because I did not know that I had to respond to it.

It was not Strange Brew, Riggotoni, it was definitley one of the solos from Crossroads. Someday I'm going to find that old recording.

Let me know what you find out, cuz I've read a ton of books/articles on Clapton, and I've never heard of Crossroads being derivative of anything else, other than the signature riff being similar to another Robert Johnson tune. I'd be curious as hell to hear the inspiration behind it. Strange Brew IS however, almost a note for note copy of Crosscut Saw, which Clapton did intentionally as an homage (I know this for a fact) . The opening riff in Layla is also a sped up version of some other Albert King tune, though I can't remember which one.

Code -

Badge is one of my all time favorite solos as well. So tasteful!

Originally posted by joe

I believe that Lou Reed's lead guitarist was a guy named Stephen Hunter, at least he played the lead on the Rock and Roll Animal album, which begins with the fabulous Intro/Sweet Jane.

Hey Joe,

Wasn't that Dick Wagner?

I don't think my 3 favorite guitar solos have been mentioned here -

Stevie Ray Vaughan's version of Little Wing - The whole song is a solo, and gives me chills every time I hear it.

Guns N Roses - November Rain - Slash's solos in this song are just gorgeous. Simple yet powerful, Slash shows that he's not just a glam rock speedster.

Clapton - Have you ever loved a woman - There's a live cut of this on the Crossroads 2 box set that is just amazing. His anguish and pain really shows through.

Originally posted by WallyG3

Guns N Roses - November Rain - Slash's solos in this song are just gorgeous. Simple yet powerful, Slash shows that he's not just a glam rock speedster.

I love the november rain solos. The thing is they aren't all that simple. Slash has this thing with playing guitar parts that don't sound all that difficult untill you actually try to play them. Then you find out there's alot more going on there then it sounds like.

Also, I hate when people insist on calling 80's American, Hair/Heavy Metal bands glam. Glam was a phenomenon that took place in Britain, with a few acts in the states as well, that bore a few similarities to 80's metal, but was certainly not the same thing.

Archived