Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest Guitar solo(s) of all time

Golgo-13

I was doing a little jammin' in the car on the way home from work today as always. I was trying to decide what my favorite guitar solos of all time are. I decided on two. The first one was Lynard Skynard's solo at the end of "Freebird." That one is just raw emotion and rocks so hard. The second one was the ending solo on Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb." It wasn't the hardest to play, it just fits the song so perfectly. Jimi comes to mind, but I couldn't think of any one solo that hit me like these two do. I'm curious to hear what some of your guys favorites are. :high:????

stevie vai, eric johnson, clapton, eddie vh, jimmi... all good choices.

a specific riff that came immediately to mind was slash's (guns n roses) in sweet child of mine. absolutely kicks ***. got my adreneline running every time before game time.

I tend to like guitarists you can recognize without being told who it is playing. Santana comes to mind. Steve Hackett. Clapton.

My favorite guitarist is Steven Rothery. He is not one to play fast or hard but he is the absolute king of the soaring, emotional solo which always seems to fit in perfectly with the song. Countless examples of this. His guitar playing is THE biggest reason I like the band Marillion so much.

For me the second best is Eric Clapton's two solo's on the live version of Crossroads (although he actually ripped one of them off note for note from an old blues guitarist whose name I can't remember)

But the best is Duane Allman's solo in the Live at the Fillmore version of "Stormy Monday" You just don't get any better than that.

"... although he actually ripped one of them off note for note from an old blues guitarist whose name I can't remember." - joe

That's probably Robert Johnson, who actually wrote the song Crossroads and one or two others that Calption has performed over the years. Clapton has admitted to being a huge fan. It's not so much a rip-off as Clapton playing a cover of someone he admires.

No, it wasn't crossroads, but it might have been Robert Johnson, that the solo came from, and I suppose I was a little harsh when I used the words "ripped off" I was just typing fast.

I was surprised when I heard the solo note for note played by an old bluesman, late on the radio one night. One likes to think that live solos are more spontaneous, born out of the moment. At least that is the way I always envisioned it.

Jazz Guitarist Al DiMeola is the best I've ever heard. Fast, stylish and technicaly perfect. If you are curiuos and want to here one song of his, I recomend Eligant Gypsy. It's a rockin tune with runs down the frets that will make your jaw drop.

I've seen him three times (once with Chick Korea and Return to Forever) and each time has left me a bigger fan. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Hm. I'll do a list.

Wes Montgomery,

BBKing, Les Paul, Jimi Hendrix, John Lee Hooker,George Benson, Edgar Winter, Van Halen, Eric Clapton, Jose Feliciano, Kurt Cobain (sp), Carlos Santana, Tedd Nugent, Al DiMeola. Paul Simon

, Bob Marley, Bill Harris, Ernest Isley, Elvis Presley, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison, Tito Jackson, Bozz Skaggs, Rick James, Flash, Prince, Bell of (Kool and the Gang), Al McKay, Joe Hicks, Porter Waggoner, Leon Russell, Charlie Daniels, Clint Black, Johnson of the (Brothers Johnson), Randy Travis, Wannona Judd,

Kenny Burke of (The Five Stairsteps), Warrant's guitarist , Chic Corea, John Nash, James Taylor, Bob Dylan, Sting, Richenbacher

Keith Richards, Taj Mahal, Peter Tosh, Peter Townsend

Still more :)

Aerosmith's, Grand Funk Railroad, Boston, America, Pink Floyd and Yes guitarists

I have to keep editing, because these kind of post always catch me off guard, but I lived the moments listening to them all.. The guitar and Bass fascinate me, even though I was only briefly a percussionist and congo player for 3 years. I still know some tunes I thought I'd forget.

See there's one: "Unforgettable"

Clapton's Crossroads solo didn't rip off anyone. Johnson recorded that song in the 30's. They didn't even have electric guitars back then, and nobody solo'd. All Clapton did was cover the song.

I'd have to consider that solo one of my favorites.

Clapton's solo on Harrison's 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'.

Page's solo in 'I Can't Quit You Babe', is another solo that's stuck with me over the years, and the solo on Dazed And Confused.

Hendrix's entire '3rd Stone From The Sun'.

Vernon Reid's buzzsaw solo in 'Cult Of Personality' (Living Color).

Mick Taylor's solo in 'St John's Wood' when he was with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers is a classic. His languid, sustained style really suited the Stones when he was with them during their golden age.

Keith Levene's solo work on PIL with Public Image Limited.

It's hard to categorize solo work, because I tend to prefer rhythm work and guitar hooks rather than solo leads. Too many years of too many lids and too many long, noodling, meandering, pointless solos tended to put me off them sometime in the 70's.

Believe me, I was ready for punk!

Very good analysis Terry. Take that chance maybe on getting a column in Rolling Stone, R&B, Blues or Jazz for at least once.

I used to enjoy solos for Jazz in the late 70's as well as the pure classical pieces in the 60's. Still do. Surprised at the range of George Benson and his rich history all the way to the 50's!!!!

Bill Harris (who also taught my brother) and is in the Jazz Hall of Fame, was a classic throwback of the late 50's and mid 60's.

The man of the ages to me, in the classical sense, is Wes Montgomery. Many put him in Jazz, but actually he was a musical revolutionist, much like Miles Davis or Thelonius Monk or Hendrix was. His sound transcinds time and can be astute on a mellow side or satinally soft.

I always felt that people overlooked Jazz guitarist so much then, but if you ask Hendrix, Les Paul, Paul McCartney or Bozz Skaggs, if they ever heard of Wes Montgomery or Bill Harris, I am sure you'd get a resounding yes!

I still take in an occasional magical carpet ride, hm, another overlooked area is the R&B solo acts on the road (live performances, that accomany many stand up singing performers, especially from the old VOLT label - see The Staple Singers (the old man could cut that groove), Aretha Franklin, Motown groups, Warner Brothers, Capitol, Columbia records artist (improv was sometimes a tease, but in that 3 minute window, I swear I could hear John Lee Hooker and Les Paul :laugh:

Also thanks for the note on Chic Corea, MAD MIKE, because I couldn't think of the other guitarist's name.

Terry, Dazed and Confused. That was excellent guitar work.

As far as Clapton's solo goes, I did not say that it was from an earlier version of Crossroads that Clapton covered. It was a completely different song, only the same solo.

I heard that it took Clapton, who is one of the all time greats, months to learn "I shot the sheriff" by Marley. I'm not sure why that is, but I think he had a hard time with it. I will also have to agree with Terry about the solo from "Cult of Personality," that was a great one.

A few more:

David Gilmour's solo on 'Fat Old Sun' (Pink Floyd).

Johnny Winter's slide work on 'Dallas'.

Clapton's solo on 'Presence Of The Lord' (Blind Faith).

Tons of Robert Fripp stuff.

Jeff Beck's solo on 'Ain't Superstitious' (Truth album).

Kim Simmonds' solo on Savoy Brown's 'One Act Play'.

Sorry guys, but you've missed so far my favorite:

Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower

That solo smokes!

I also think you've missed (although it's not really a solo) Clapton's and Duane Allman's guitar duet at the end of Layla.

Wow, Terry, I don't know in the he** I missed Jeff Beck??

Thanks, that one should be on that list. There are still guitarist I haven't heard, but I am sure are among the best or ones on songs I hear often, but don't know their names either, but I am sure they'd be on that list I posted.

Joe Satriani - Surfin with the Alien and The Satch Boogie.

Eddie Van Halen - Eruption, or anything else really.

Alex Lifeson - YYZ and La Villa Stragiata

Billy Sheehan and Paul Gilbert - Addicted to that Rush ... if you like shredders.

Stevie Vai - Just about anything, although I like The Audience is Listening

Trevor Rabin - Can't Look Away, obscure, but actually pretty good stuff.

Archived