Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest Guitar solo(s) of all time

Golgo-13

All of them are tied for last.

Actually, my favorite guitar solos are the insanely sloppy ones that a drunken Bob Stinson plays on some the Replacement bootlegs I used to own. I think I'm a better guitar player than Bob, and I've never picked one up.

Also, the coda to Layla is mostly Duane Allman on guitar Bobby Whitlock on piano. Generally speaking, I find Clapton incredibly boring. He made cocaine sound boring for goodness sake. (And you know what they don't tell you? It's actually awesome).

(He doesn't solo a lot, but Robbie Robertson's work on the bootlegs from Dylan's '66 tour is freaking glorious. He's the forgotten genius in rock history).

Joe Satriani - Surfin with the Alien and The Satch Boogie.

Isn't Satriani's entire career just one long solo? I assume that Satriani is playing a guitar solo somewhere right now. He might be in line at A&P but he is jamming. I'm amazed that we've gotten this far without someone slobbering over Vinny Vincent.

---------- Post added January-26th-2011 at 04:42 PM ----------

Another one I forgot to mention is the one at the end of "Stairway to Heaven." How could I be so irreverant?
The first one was Lynard Skynard's solo at the end of "Freebird."
How could I have forgotten "Hotel California." If you ever have the chance to take a long drive in the desert out west that is a really cool and spooky song to play. That solo is amazing!!

So, basically, you only listen to really bad classic rock stations. Did you win Molly Hatchett tickes by any chance?

So' date=' basically, you only listen to really bad classic rock stations. Did you win Molly Hatchett tickes by any chance?[/quote']

Dude, Molly Hatchet freakin rules.

Great work in this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlnfhl8auY4

Here's the most underrated guy ever...Tommy T. Baron of the mighty Coroner!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evOyxBNKrE4

Also' date=' the coda to Layla is mostly Duane Allman on guitar Bobby Whitlock on piano. Generally speaking, I find Clapton incredibly boring. He made cocaine sound boring for goodness sake. (And you know what they don't tell you? It's actually awesome).

[/quote']

Whitlock? Pretty sure it's Jim Gordon.

How in the world did I miss this thread??

My favs are:

Jimmy Page.. Stairway to Heaven and Achillies Last Stand

Eddie Van Halen.. Mean Street and Hear About it Later

Eric Clapton.. Badge

Randy Rhodes.. Over the Mountain

Jimi Hendrix.. Machine Gun and All Along the Watchtower

I like Machine Gun too, it tends to be an overlooked song by Hendrix,,

Actually' date=' my favorite guitar solos are the insanely sloppy ones that a drunken Bob Stinson plays on some the Replacement bootlegs I used to own. I think I'm a better guitar player than Bob, and I've never picked one up.

Also, the coda to Layla is mostly Duane Allman on guitar Bobby Whitlock on piano. Generally speaking, I find Clapton incredibly boring. He made cocaine sound boring for goodness sake. (And you know what they don't tell you? It's actually awesome).

(He doesn't solo a lot, but Robbie Robertson's work on the bootlegs from Dylan's '66 tour is freaking glorious. He's the forgotten genius in rock history).[/quote']

Dude - that is hilarious! I had a few of those bootlegs of the Mats on tape myself... talk about crappy quality... I saw them at 930 back in the day and Bob was so drunk that he basically just sat down and fell asleep on stage on an amp... so their roadie took over guitar for a song and Bob, I think, got pissed and kneeled behind him and Paul came up and pushed the roadie and he fell over Bob... it was great. I loved that band.

---------- Post added January-27th-2011 at 10:47 AM ----------

I am an Eddie fan above all.. his effortless style, his innovations (cathedral) - he is the guitarist everyone in my guitar class in 1982 wanted to be. I have never come close.... one guy I always loved style wise was Jake E Lee - Ozzy's guitarist for Bark at the Moon... that whole record, including the solos was cool as hell.

Oh, and Of course, Nigel Tufnel... his solos are his trademark.

NigelTufnel.jpg

Dude - that is hilarious! I had a few of those bootlegs of the Mats on tape myself... talk about crappy quality... I saw them at 930 back in the day and Bob was so drunk that he basically just sat down and fell asleep on stage on an amp... so their roadie took over guitar for a song and Bob, I think, got pissed and kneeled behind him and Paul came up and pushed the roadie and he fell over Bob... it was great. I loved that band.

I was way too young to see them when they were touring, considering that at their greatest popularity they were playing dive bars in most cities. But, yea, the bootlegs reveal a band that had gorgeous songs that they were utterly incapable of playing. Yet, that made it all the better. I've seen Westerberg live a few times over the last 15 years, and he's great. But his band has always been far too competent.

Having already stormed the world with Deep Purple, Ritchie Blackmore toured with a Rainbow line up including Cozy Powell and Ronnie James Dio. By 78/79, to me, as far as hard rock/metal goes, Blackmore at that point was tearing any other rock guitar player apart (I dont care who you mention, Page, Clapton the lot). Some stuff/solos from his time:

IBeguT-akw4

zGIhB9NQ5Kw

:)

Having already stormed the world with Deep Purple, Ritchie Blackmore toured with a Rainbow line up including Cozy Powell and Ronnie James Dio. By 78/79, to me, as far as hard rock/metal goes, Blackmore at that point was tearing any other rock guitar player apart (I dont care who you mention, Page, Clapton the lot). Some stuff/solos from his time.

If you like Blackmore check this out. It's the classic line-up filmed in 1971 but looks like it was shot this afternoon. Awesome close-ups of Blackmore and one of my favorite DP tunes. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETeumVKeyqQ

Archived