Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chat with Vinny Cerrato live, today at 2:30 p.m. EST.

Art

Great job Art and Staff. I have always been neutral on Vinny because his role has never been clear. Now it is clear to me that he is not a "me first" kind of guy. He works within a management team, does his best to fill his role and is totally focused and dedicated. A credit to the whole the Redskins organization. Thank you Extremeskins.

For the record, all I am here was the finger monkey, typing everything. Nothing like this could happen without the time spent behind the scenes by every member of the staff. There's a ton of work to pulling something like this off. Blade had to make the board. Every question was read by multiple people. Compiled and edited.

I took SOME interviewer liberties with follows -- sorry -- but, other than that error, this was really a team thing with the guys here at Extremeskins. I know all of you are thanking the guys, plural, but I want to make sure I point out how stuff like this comes together.

Originally posted by Art

I'm sorry I dodged most of the draft questions. Once I realized the team was really still doing evaluations, I didn't want to go too deep there as I felt I'd get the same answer over and over.

You have nothing to be sorry about...you guys did a great job and it is much appreciated.

Originally posted by Art

I'm sorry I dodged most of the draft questions. Once I realized the team was really still doing evaluations, I didn't want to go too deep there as I felt I'd get the same answer over and over.

Nice adjustment.

I didn't expect to see straight answers to draft questions anyways.

"A: I don't play racquetball anymore. It's too hard on my knees. (joking).

We do everything together here. It's not me. It's not my guy. It's not my list. It's everyone together. There are probably six grades on our top guys. It's all cumulitive. I'm filling out the report as we're talking through the guys' strengths and weaknesses.

Then we talk to the coach and ask how he fits with our guy.

It's not any one person's list. I'm not a yes-man for the owner. My job is to have everything organized so it's easy for everybody to have the right names. To make sure that everybody gets a say so on everybody.

(Critics) don't know much about me. They don't know my past. They don't know what I've done before. Do I read it? Yeah, I hear everything. Is it justified? No, because people don't know.

ESPN Insider outline is totally false.

We put everybody in the order. It will come down to the coach making the decisions as to what he needs and what he doesn't need. Snyder takes NO say so in the player moves. He gives it all to Coach Gibbs. We all work together to come up with an answer.

He makes the final call. He takes the information and we go over it and over it and he asks everyones opinion and everyones opinion counts. And he'll make the final call.

When we first talked (Gibbs and he last year) we were both on the same page with how we liked to do things. We were open about everything and how it was everybody's decision and not one person's decision. We were totally alike in that area and that's where we hit it off right from the get go and we saw eye-to-eye on how to get things done.

It's gratifying to have a HOF coach appreciate the work that I do."

Please forward this message to all local and national media:)

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold

in all honesty, a congratulations to you guys who run this site, its a real treat for the members to be able to talk directly to a man with power, but its entirely because of you all. thanks so much.

HTTR!

Tell Vinny and Co. that he doesn't need to renew his membership at ESPN Insider and he can erase all those bookmarks to national sites.

Tell him Bubba will be printing all those articles - where he can read all about himself - right here :laugh:

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

Dude.

Link?

:D

I just found it.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94996

Washington Redskins

Dan Snyder: Owner

Vinnie Cerrato: Vice president of football operations

Joe Gibbs: Head coach

Despite the roller-coaster ride that has been the Washington Redskins since Daniel Snyder took ownership, this is still his team and his organization – and no decisions in personnel are made without his blessing. Because he is not a football guy and because he doesn't watch a lot of tape, Snyder leans on Cerrato to not only give him information and opinions, but to also be his mouthpiece.

One of the positives regarding this relationship is that Cerrato does watch film and does his research so that at least Snyder is getting an informed opinion. This duo will gather information from a lot of sources, including agents, draft experts and virtually anybody who has an opinion.

The rest of this scouting department is a hard working but nondescript group with virtually no decision-making power.

Eric Shaffer is the capologist and he does a solid job. Veteran Scott Campbell runs the pro department and Trent Baalke runs the college side. They gather information and keep things organized, but everything flows through Cerrato and Snyder.

Joe Gibbs will really be diligent this offseason as he tries to upgrade this roster after having a year to evaluate it – but his input may be more philosophical than anything else. Snyder and Cerrato will listen to what Gibbs wants, but not necessarily whom he wants and the assistant coaches will not have a lot of say on personnel issues.

One thing you can say about the Redskins' front office is that it is not afraid to spend money and will work at getting better. This may be a better roster than a lot of people realize and this may be an offseason when the Redskins don't make a lot of major moves, but instead just tweak and add to this roster. However, Snyder and Cerrato have to be movers and shakers and it's hard to see them not making some dramatic moves, especially in free agency.

Originally posted by Zen-like Todd

What exactly was he referring to when he mentioned ESPN Insider?

I'll explain it when I do the transcript. It was the ESPN Insider article the other day saying Snyder and Cerrato had final say on player moves, even if Gibbs didn't like it, essentially.

Archived