Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone Know How Many Miles You Can Drive A Car on "E"??

RonJeremy

I was driving to work this morning when I realized my gas gauge was on Empty. I usually pay attention to these things but how can I watch everything...you know, talking on the cell phone, changing the station on my XM radio, and drinking coffee at the same time took all of my attention.

So, after about five miles I knew a gas station was up ahead; but it wasn't a Exxon/Mobil. I have a company car and my gas card is for Exxon/Mobil only. Now, the fuel light is on. I thought...well, I could stop and put a few bucks out of my own pocket into the tank. Then I remembered a Seinfeld espisode where Kramer took a car for a test drive and kept driving on empty. I decided to go the Kramer route and keep driving. I knew the next gas station was an Exxon/Mobil but it was about another 15 miles down the road.

I kept going. After another five miles (now I have been driving on empty for 10 miles) the gauge is slightly below "E". The next five miles the gauge is fully below "E". I am starting to sweat a little bit. I still have five more miles before I get to the gas station. So, I end up coasting in to the station of fumes. It had been about 22 miles since I noticed the gauge on empty. l :whew:

I was just wondering if anyone knew how close I was to running out of gas and ending up like this?....:kickcan:

btw- the car is 2003 Ford Taurus.

When the light turns on, it'd be about 20miles. I had this happened to me before, the light came on after King Dominion on the way to Richmond. The car shut down as I pulled in the exit (76B). I restarted the engine went back on again, so I didn't have to push the car. Then again, it was an 87 camry.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Most guages are set to turn the arning light on at 4 gallons left.

So, if you know how many miles per gallon you average (a taurus should be about 22) then you have your answer.

Best guess for yours is 80 miles once the light comes on.

I think the taurus has the tank cap. around 15gal. If it's 4gals, then it ahout be 1/4 tanks left. I might be wrong the the tank cap.

Originally posted by CrawFish

I think the taurus has the tank cap. around 15gal. If it's 4gals, then it ahout be 1/4 tanks left. I might be wrong the the tank cap.

I just looked up the tank capacity...it is 18 gallons.

I think Kilmer is right because today I put about 15.5 gallons after I was on "E" for over twenty miles. I wasn't in the danger of walking.

:)

In my VW the light comes on with about 25 miles left (or maybe a little more). My car has a computer that tells me how many miles left I have before I run out of gas. The light comes on about when it thinks I have 25 miles left. I have taken it down to 0, but it is an estimate that is rounded to the nearest 5 miles (it also will change its estimate based on the gas mileage it calculates I am currently getting, so when I'm real low I'll slip the car in neutral going down hills to help the mileage).

Most lights come on at around 1/8 th. of a tank. You'll have to do the math for the size tank. for a 12 gallon tank, getting about 22 MPG you could go 33 miles. I wouldn't recommend this as a normal routine. Running the tank constantly low promotes condensation (water) build up. Over time, it can affect how the car runs.

Each gauge will read a little different. Normally it's two gallons when hit the big E.

How far you can drive depends on how big of a gambler you

are. You can keep pushing it...but if gauge is off a little.

In other words...you can drive until run out of gas. :laugh:

Exact distance is something you'll have to find out.

There are other variables involved also. In the summer say, if your running the AC, you will get less miles to the gallon. If you have a four wheel drive vehicle with a selector for 2X4 or 4X4 abd you have the 4x4 engauged, you will get less miles to the gallon. Rapid excel or decel also wastes gas.

:cheers:

My caddy counts down the miles for me........10, 9, 8, etc.

And trust me........it is very accurate.

My durango lets me go about 25 miles with the E on.

I do NOT make it a habit of driving with less that 1/4 of a tank. I have always had a worry that I would be almost out of gas and something would happen to someone I love during the night and I could not get to an open station.

Rarely do I have less than 1/4 of a tank.

Blondie

Originally posted by RonJeremy

I just looked up the tank capacity...it is 18 gallons.

I think Kilmer is right because today I put about 15.5 gallons after I was on "E" for over twenty miles. I wasn't in the danger of walking.

:)

The walking would of done you some good! Work off some of those Coors and chicken wings ;)

Originally posted by SoCalSkins

By the title I thought this was going to be a thread about driving while on drugs.

I remember before Red Bull was all mainstream, they would sell it at the end of raves so people wouldn't fall asleep while driving home. I distinctly remember a giant sign that said "Red Bull kills your E"

Archived