Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SFC:WR Porter opts to be free agent

denverdan

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/02/10/SPGQVB8O8P1.DTL

WR Porter opts to be free agent

Nancy Gay, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Despite a lucrative five-year offer from the Raiders, wide receiver Jerry Porter said he expects to enter the free-agent market after a series of perceived slights that have soured him on returning to Oakland.

"I owe it to myself to look. The free-agent market is out there,'' said Porter, still miffed that the Raiders did not offer to extend his six-year rookie contract during the 2004 season, before he decided to exercise a void of the final year of the deal. "I don't know how much longer I'm going to play. I could get a career-threatening injury and be out of football in no time.

"I owe it to myself to get my market value, if not (sign with) some team that will pay me more than market value. I owe it to myself to find out (what I can get).''

As it stands, Porter's market value is about $20 million over five years, the total of the contract offer the Raiders made last month to their leading wide receiver.

The deal, sources said, is similar to the five-year, $25 million extension signed last year by Bengals wideout Chad Johnson, a two-time Pro Bowler who finished sixth in the NFL last season with 95 catches for 1,274 yards and nine touchdowns.

Johnson, who signed his extension prior to the 2004 season, received $12 million in guaranteed money.

Porter, 27, ranked 12th in the NFL last season in receiving touchdowns with nine, and finished with 64 catches for 998 yards, all career highs. After a slow start -- Porter caught only one touchdown in the Raiders' first six games -- the fifth-year veteran blossomed.

After Jerry Rice's trade to Seattle in October and the season-ending Achilles tendon injury to wide receiver Ronald Curry, Porter became a favorite target of quarterback Kerry Collins. Porter caught eight touchdowns in the last six games.

Collins, in fact, lobbied for the Raiders to re-sign Porter.

"I think we need to sign Jerry Porter back. I've gotten a good rapport established with him. He can be a 75-, 80-catch guy in this system, no problem, '' Collins said Dec. 29. "I don't know any of the history between Jerry and the organization. I don't really care about any of that. I just know one thing, that we need to sign Jerry Porter back."

Both sides say they will keep the door open for the wide receiver's return.

Porter conceded the Raiders' contract offer is very fair. "That's great money -- definitely more than I played for ($598,500 in '04)," said Porter. "But at the same time, why didn't they do this in October, when they knew I was going to become a free agent?''

His dissatisfaction with the organization dates back to the 2003 season, specifically the chaos that surrounded the season finale in San Diego, during which then-coach Bill Callahan dismissed cornerback Charles Woodson and running back Charlie Garner prior to the game for missing a team meeting the night before.

"There was a whole lot of nonsense that went into it, but that was the point where I just became, whatever happens, happens, I'm going to do the best for me now,'' said Porter, who also was infuriated by reports in October that the Raiders were open to trade offers for him.

Porter's decision comes as Randy Moss trade rumors continue to swirl. The Minnesota Vikings reportedly will shop their receiver, hoping to seek a combination of draft picks -- possibly a first-rounder and more -- and a player, ideally a defensive starter.

Moss' departure from Minnesota is far from assured. Foremost, the franchise is up for sale and the uncertainty of Moss' status -- and the remainder of his eight-year, $75 million contract -- could hinder owner Red McCombs' efforts to sell the team. The Vikings continue to deny they are trying to shop Moss, despite persistent buzz around the NFL and an ESPN.com report stating the receiver is trade bait.

Though the Raiders were mildly interested in Moss last season -- Raiders owner Al Davis, along with the Jets and several other teams, reportedly called the Vikings in March, inquiring about Moss' status -- their priorities this offseason are much different.

The Raiders desperately need an every-down running back, a pass-rushing defensive end or tackle and a run-stopping linebacker.

Should Porter reject the Raiders' contract extension, the team is expected to make a "strong offer" for soon-to-be free-agent running back LaMont Jordan of the New York Jets, NFL sources said. Jordan was a versatile runner, receiver and return man for the Jets last season, with 93 carries for 479 yards playing behind NFL rushing leader Curtis Martin.

Originally posted by Bufford

I'd take him over Rod, any day of the week....and twice on Sunday's.

If we can keep our FA's like Pierce and Smoot......then I say we make a run at him.

However, if we can get him....but lose Smoot...... Then I think we can look at someone like Rolle in the 1st round.

I totally agree. He's a local guy and is pretty decent. If we did pick him up and possibly another FA starting Cb we could also go with a DE. Just another scenerio.:helmet:

Originally posted by Doozinbrah

I totally agree. He's a local guy and is pretty decent. If we did pick him up and possibly another FA starting Cb we could also go with a DE. Just another scenerio.:helmet:

------

Yea I like Porter a lot but I would give him a contract thtat incentive driven. That is where he may balk at comming here since the Raiders already gave him apperently good money. I am just tried of overpaying. Let them earn their pay.

Originally posted by RabidFan

"Ladies and Gentleman, this is your Redskins One Captain speaking.....Please stow your carryons in the overhead bin and fasten your seatbelts as we are next in line to take off on our trip to Oakland" :)

Is this trip a direct flight or will it have stops in other cities? LOL

Originally posted by kappaluvacee

Is this trip a direct flight or will it have stops in other cities? LOL

A brief low altitude pit stop in Jacksonville. We won't actually be landing, just reduce altitue enough to push Mark Brunell off the plane and land him on Jaguars stadium. Then directly on to Oakland.

Originally posted by Bufford

I'd take him over Rod, any day of the week....and twice on Sunday's.

If we can keep our FA's like Pierce and Smoot......then I say we make a run at him.

However, if we can get him....but lose Smoot...... Then I think we can look at someone like Rolle in the 1st round.

Agree, deal with our own guys first, if we can do that, then target guys like Porter.

Lets reward the players who have performed as Redskins before we reward the players who have performed for other teams. At the same time, lets be prudent.

Originally posted by illone

A brief low altitude pit stop in Jacksonville. We won't actually be landing, just reduce altitue enough to push Mark Brunell off the plane and land him on Jaguars stadium. Then directly on to Oakland.

I don't want Porter for that kind of money. He is looking for Chad Johnson money which is absolutlely ludricrious!

I'll pass and look for a cheaper alternative.

Originally posted by Renegade7

You expect to overtake Philly with Coles, Jacobs, and Thrash as our only WRs? :rolleyes:

We need weapons to win this division and Jerry Porter is a weapon.

He's going to be too expensive. We've been buying weapons for 12 years and have nothing to show for. Hopefully we'll draft Mike Williams if not maybe Heath Miller either one would help.

You forgot DMac, Gibbs said he's going to give him another chance.

Originally posted by Matador36

He's going to be too expensive. We've been buying weapons for 12 years and have nothing to show for. Hopefully we'll draft Mike Williams if not maybe Heath Miller either one would help.

You forgot DMac, Gibbs said he's going to give him another chance.

We went out and got Washington, Griffin, and Springs this offseason; not to mention a few undrafted fa. What do we have to show for it? The number #3 defense in the league. It's about being smart on who you get, and getting a breakout WR from the DC area is smart. I have more faith in the people we go after then ever before. And we haven't done anything with the cap yet, so we don't know if we won't have enough money. To early to shoot this idea out of the sky.

Originally posted by Matador36

Just sign our own FAs

Consistency

Consistency

Consistency

Even if we signed our own FAs, we know that at least 1, maybe two, WR spots will be open and one of those spots is a starter spot. Though I agree that we don't want to have to let one of our own FAs go in order to sign someone from the outside, is that what you mean?

Oops, posted this before I read on. You answered the question.

if we go after any receivers, i believe it will be porter. No other receivers can bring us anything that we need and isnt hugely overpriced. However, I will be perfectly happy with a top receiving prospect from the draft. Sometimes it's nice to have players when they are young and fired up instead of the grizzled and greedy old vets we've been known to hire.

Originally posted by Renegade7

You expect to overtake Philly with Coles, Jacobs, and Thrash as our only WRs? :rolleyes:

We need weapons to win this division and Jerry Porter is a weapon.

Yet this “weapon” is an inconsistent one that misfires as much as it fires.

He’s no upgrade from Gardner, local boy or not.

Pass.

Archived