Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vinny talking about Jason Campbell

panthro

Originally posted by bubba9497

Jason Campbell

QB, Auburn

War Room analysis

Strengths: Is big and tall; has large hands and long arms. Has the arm strength to make all NFL throws. Handles the ball well. Gets set quickly in the pocket. Is a good athlete and scrambler. Shows great speed. Excels when rolling outside the pocket, and throws well on the run to his right.

Weaknesses: Struggle when asked to read the entire field and make progression reads from within the pocket. Shows inconsistent accuracy. Lacks ideal poise. Struggles to find secondary targets consistently. Holds on to the ball too long. Does not throw well when rolling to his left.

Bottom line: Campbell improved his decision-making as a senior in leading Auburn to an undefeated season. He also showed better accuracy and toughness. He has the right physical tools and is coming off his best season. He began the postseason draft process as a fifth-round prospect but is flying up NFL draft boards and could eventually move into Day 1.

Height: 6-4 Weight: 221

40-yard dash: 4.69

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2005/players/4955.html

A Ramsey clone?

Originally posted by Bozman777

Trade for David Garrard of Jacksonville. Musgrave always talked highly of him while he was there. Tall and can run.

He's a helluva better back up then Brunell or Hasselback. Could possibly challenge Ramsey for the starting job.

Ya'll think I'm playing, too. I'm serious. It'd be a good trade for us. We don't have that many picks though, so I wouldn't do it.

Originally posted by HeHateMe

He'll need to have a nice outing today at the SB.

The game is nearly meaningless. Most scouts leave Mobile after the last practice.

With that said, Campbell had a decent game going 9 of 13 for 116 showing good pocket presence and the ability to roll left and make plays on the run.

I watched Jason Campbell several times this past season, and after watching him play, it's difficult to understand how he could go any lower than the first round. For those criticisms that say he has a difficult time going through his progessions, I can remember him regularly throwing to his check-downs and rarely making a dangerous throw.

That said, even if Campbell is still around for our third round pick, we don't need to traumatize Patrick any further with another high profile quarterback acquisition. If Ramsey has been named the starter this year, then we should expect him to be the team's starter for several more years, giving us no reason to draft a rookie quarterback with a third round pick. Anyway, we already have two serviceable backups (yes, Brunell is a serviceable backup).

Guest GIBBSisGOD

Did anyone see that play where Campbell escaped like 3 defenders and got out of the pocket? Now i forgot what happened after that but i remember seeing all the clips about him on sportscenter and especially with his play in Auburn's bowl game (name?) i think he has a good future in the NFL. The only thing is i don't think he'd drop low enough in order for us to draft him. If he drops to the third round i would say its a good pick, but i can't see him dropping passed the mid 2nd.

• 2 months later...

Latest projections have Campbell in the picks 25-40 range. Looks like some folks were a bit wrong on Campbell's draft stock.

Originally posted by bubba9497

4th rounder maybe late 3rd

Originally posted by Mr. S

despite any combine and other workouts, he wont go higher than the 3rd. I think he barely had over 2000 yards this season passing, he's a scrambler a bit, but not that powerful a passer. Aurburn relied on its running game hardcore, the receivers dont have that great of stats I dont believe. He wont go that high, I think Bryan Randall would be a better late round opotion, though I wouldnt mind Campbell either, he has some potential for a backup to replace "Mark Brusuckface at life cause I cant throw if my life depended on it (unless its to the sideline)"

Originally posted by HeHateMe

No chance in hell he goes in the first.

And I'd also be very shocked if he went in the 2nd.

He's looking at the 3rd or 4th round.

If we had a 2nd round pick and were looking to add a QB as a Ramsey insurance policy, I'd take Adrian McPherson over Campbell in a heartbeat (if he were to be there when we pick). I think Jason Campbell=Akili Smith.

A lot of "ifs" there I know but hey, we're all speculating at this point.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Hooper

In his scouting report, he sounds like a more athletic version of Ramsey. Good arm, tough, doesn't see the field well and holds on to the ball too long...

Pass.

Jaws was just on SportsCenter saying that Campbell is likely to be the best QB coming out of this draft and has him rated higher than Aaron Rodgers.

Specifically Jaws thought he had great touch on his deep ball (with video) and showed good toughness in the pocket.

Campbell looks likely to go in the bottom of the first.

Archived