Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PTI: Skins in the hunt for moss

[[ghost]]

Originally posted by Chopper Dave

I think that we'll have Moss by the end of this offseason. There's enough smoke, and we are the Redskins. Call it a gut feeling, but keep this in mind: back in Portis's rookie year, I traded for him in my Madden franchise. I said, "One day we'll actually have this guy." It was a gut feeling just like this one.

I dont think there are any salary cap hits based on bonus money in Maddens.;)

Originally posted by ramseyskins

This is an inappropriate example. First, the Pats were already a winner without him. He would only want to go to a winner, not a rebuilding team.

Second, Dillon never had his own set of rules, as Moss has his "Randy rules". Dillon was whiny and tired of losing. Moss... well, the "winning" teams he have been on have choked in the pass, which many attribute to lack of a team with Moss as the prime example.

not at all, the point a change to a better enviroment (Gibbs) can sometimes have a positive effect on players.

Uh, this is only my second (EDIT: 3rd) post here (but I've been a lurker for a long time) so I don't expect to be too taken seriously... But, aren't the Vikings thinking about going to the 3-4? If they do, they will surely need a new LB and the 'Skins certainly need a WR. Nunyo spoke about a "blockbuster deal". A trade involving LaVar or Pierce for Moss certainly would be a "blockbuster."

I don't see how either side could work around the salary cap issues that such a trade would entail though.

Razzoid

Originally posted by Chopper Dave

I think that we'll have Moss by the end of this offseason. There's enough smoke, and we are the Redskins. Call it a gut feeling, but keep this in mind: back in Portis's rookie year, I traded for him in my Madden franchise. I said, "One day we'll actually have this guy." It was a gut feeling just like this one.

thats kinda weird and scary, but cool nonetheless. now start having gut feelings about an undefeated season!

Originally posted by bubba9497

speaking of Moss trade, think about Cory Dillion to the Pats a personality 180 turnaround

I would love to believe Moss could come here and instantly be transformed into simply a great player. It is very unlikely though.

Dillon was unhappy with his team and just wanted out of there. Once he got what he wanted, he was happy and became a team player. A better example might be TO, but TO was also pissed about his team situation more than anything else. Moss has nothing to be pissed about, but yet he still is a problem. He has one of the best QB's in the game throwing him the ball, and alot! Moss is simply an ass, that's all there is to it.

Now, could Gibbs convince him to tone it down just a little and just play? It's possible. Gibbs handled some pretty out there characters in the past, and done so with tact. Riggins was not exactly Art Monk you know. Gary Clark was also a bit brash. The one thing that we would have on our side in a situation like that is that Moss would have to realise that he just got ditched for being an a-hole. Maybe he would actually realise he needs to just shut his yap sometimes.

Even with all the baggage he brings, Moss could still be a great addition to the team. His teamates don't usually mind what he does, and he seems to get along relatively well with them most of the time. Really what has he ever done that was that bad? He walked off the field, he pretend mooned the crowd. Realistically speaking, what was the harm? It has been blown way out of proportion by the media and the fans. It's not like he started a fight or something. He does need to realise that it is in his own best interests to watch what he says though. Maybe Gibbs could help him understand that.

I'm not saying I want this to happen, because I personally think the guy is just simply a ****y jerk. But, the possibility of a turnaround does exist, and if it happened here rather than somewhere else, I would not be disappointed.

I hope to god this doesn't happen and doubt it will, but would it really shock anyone if knowing our penchant for trading away pics and urge to go fot the splash if we packaged the #9 pick along with Gardner and another player or two to get Moss.

Right. Dillon cant be compared since he was generally unhappy with his team. He didnt really have any on-field or moss-like off-field problems like Moss does, he was just vocal about his unhappiness with the direction of the Bengals.

Moss on the other hand is consistently an idiot. From off the field issues to his latest antics, he isnt a team player. He isnt a leader, and he isnt the type of guy we want in our locker room. I would be *pissed* if we got Moss.

While the odds remain that Randy Moss will return in 2005, there are highly placed members of the Vikings organization who are exasperated with him. At the very least, they plan to initiate a substantive internal discussion about Moss and his future with the franchise this offseason.

-- Minneapolis Star Tribune

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/01/17/truth.rumors/index.html

The Vikes could actually save some 05 cap space by trading him but the team he goes to would get a player due to make 7.5M in 05 and 8.5M in 06. One team that has the picks and has the cap space is the Chargers. Imagine Brees throwing to Moss McArdle Parker and Gates and handing the ball off to LT. The Eagles also have a lot of cap space and many draft picks but as frightening as Owens and Moss together might be I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

Originally posted by Pocono

The Vikes could actually save some 05 cap space by trading him but the team he goes to would get a player due to make 7.5M in 05 and 8.5M in 06. One team that has the picks and has the cap space is the Chargers. Imagine Brees throwing to Moss McArdle Parker and Gates and handing the ball off to LT. The Eagles also have a lot of cap space and many draft picks but as frightening as Owens and Moss together might be I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

he would probably sign a cap friendly new deal for the new team, if the Vikes considered it.

I dont think there is a chance in hell that Moss would come here, but if he did I wouldnt be too hard on him for 'character' issues.

Im not sure if anyone noticed this, but in the game over the weekend, he ran through the endzone, slammed into a guy standing in the back of the endzone, WENT OUT OF HIS WAY to make sure the guy didnt fall down, and then bent over and picked up the item the man was holding and handed it back to him. And this was in Philly!

VERY classy move on Moss' part when most of the time the players just run over the bystanders and dont even acknowledge them.

Yet NO ONE in the booth said one word about this! Moss is a guy who the media seems to rally against whenever the winds change... he may still have some maturity issues, but more importantly he seems to have a significant amount of human decency as well.

Originally posted by Hooper

I saw that too, Blade. Of course, the media said nothing. It's in their best interest to have a "bad guy" in the league.

Agreed. Moss being a nice guy doesnt sell papers.

But him picking up a dudes hat doesnt excuse him for his CONSTANT idiocy. Its one thing to doubt your coach, its another to do it publicly. Its one thing to think your team doesnt give the effort to win, its another to criticize them in the media. Its one thing to pretend to moon the crowd, its another to say you would shake your d*ck next time and the fine wasnt big enough. Its one thing to say you thought walking off the field was wrong, its another to say you would do it again given the chance, and who knows if you would do it in the 3rd quarter next time.

Shall I continue? This is just THIS YEAR! The Chargers can have him...no Moss!!!!

Guest GIBBSisGOD

Now im only 16, but i recall seeing a section on Inside the NFL on how Cris Carter formerly had problems after he was drafted with the Eagles. Of course Moss may be a different situation (i don't really know all of carter's problems, since i wasn't born in that period) but if there was a way not to kill our cap and manage to get moss, i think it would be a great deal. Like Carter, and change of scenery might be a fresh change for randy. I don't know, just a thought.

I don't think he's evil-incarnate....and he's a hell of a receiver. But I still don't want to see him in Burgundy and Gold. I think the #1 reason he won't come to DC isn't his 'character'. Its pretty well documented that Gibbs isn't above bringing in a less than shining example of humanity if he thinks it'll help us win. But I think Snyder's seriously sensitive about the charges he's tried to buy a playoff team in the past, and that he's shot the wad trying to get that sexy free-agent pick and had it blow up in his face.

I really think if they do go for a proven receiver, it'll be someone a little less controversial.

Originally posted by feeshta

I would love to believe Moss could come here and instantly be transformed into simply a great player. It is very unlikely though.

Dillon was unhappy with his team and just wanted out of there. Once he got what he wanted, he was happy and became a team player. A better example might be TO, but TO was also pissed about his team situation more than anything else. Moss has nothing to be pissed about, but yet he still is a problem. He has one of the best QB's in the game throwing him the ball, and alot! Moss is simply an ass, that's all there is to it.

Now, could Gibbs convince him to tone it down just a little and just play? It's possible. Gibbs handled some pretty out there characters in the past, and done so with tact. Riggins was not exactly Art Monk you know. Gary Clark was also a bit brash. The one thing that we would have on our side in a situation like that is that Moss would have to realise that he just got ditched for being an a-hole. Maybe he would actually realise he needs to just shut his yap sometimes.

Even with all the baggage he brings, Moss could still be a great addition to the team. His teamates don't usually mind what he does, and he seems to get along relatively well with them most of the time. Really what has he ever done that was that bad? He walked off the field, he pretend mooned the crowd. Realistically speaking, what was the harm? It has been blown way out of proportion by the media and the fans. It's not like he started a fight or something. He does need to realise that it is in his own best interests to watch what he says though. Maybe Gibbs could help him understand that.

I'm not saying I want this to happen, because I personally think the guy is just simply a ****y jerk. But, the possibility of a turnaround does exist, and if it happened here rather than somewhere else, I would not be disappointed.

I think the biggest thing for me wasn't the moon or the hitting of a meter maid while he was high. it was one comment that turned me off of moss forever.

When he said: "I play when I want to play," Moss said. "Do I play up to my top performance, my ability every time? Maybe not. I just keep doing what I do and that is playing football. When I make my mind up, I am going out there to tear somebody's head off. When I go out there and play football, man it's not anybody telling me to play or how I should play. I play when I want to play, case closed."

Moss is the single most explosive, game-changing player at his position in the league. But, he's NOT a good football player. He doesn't give consistent effort. He doesn't run great routes. He won't work the way you'd like. There's NO question any team with Moss becomes immediately dangerous on offense.

Put Moss with Coles and Portis and combine that with the Williams defense and you have a team that has no obvious glaring weakness, though how Ramsey goes will determine if the team is totally complete. Just the same, I find it difficult to believe this is the type of player Gibbs will go after.

I could be wrong on that, but, it would be a tremendous surprise to me if it happens that we are even remotely in the running.

Archived