Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Dan Snyder -- Is he a good owner or a bad owner?

Art

We have somewhat frequent threads about our feelings about Dan Snyder. We make comments in threads that have other topics. We generally feel strongly, one way or the other, about having Dan Snyder as our owner.

We've even had poll questions such as THIS poll question asking for a general viewpoint of the masses and how they feel about Snyder. This will serve as 2005's PRE-offseason assessment. I'm sure we'll update it too :).

Please vote, and feel free to comment in support or condemnation of our man Snyder.

I voted for #2, that Snyder is a good owner. I can't say great yet because we've yet to prosper win wise under his ownership however I do believe that everything he does is with good intentions. I also believe that he's figuring it out and that someday we'll all be happy together.

For my point of view, I will say as I've said before, there is no owner in any sport who is as good as Dan Snyder. George Steinbrenner would be close, but his need to be the overriding force in New York is what limits him.

Snyder, while involved, remains willing to defer decisions to his people. He spends money lavishly on the team, both in signing players and trying to help us improve while spending money to improve the experience for fans at the stadium.

This is not to say he's been perfect, as he's not been.

He does appear to be the sort of owner who sets expectations and follows through in wanting them met. This can create a tense environment at Redskins Park for individuals who do not thrive under that sort of pressure.

The team has not achieved a level of continuity under Snyder, for which he is at least partially to blame. But even this large criticism of Snyder isn't so clearly all his in the blame department. Unlike ownership in other areas -- even of successful teams -- Snyder doesn't horde money and avoid adding a piece clearly needed.

He makes moves his people and his eyes tell him must be made and he does so in a way few can match. I'm sure I'll be called upon to defend him further, but for now, I'll stop :).

There's several sides you can take on Danny:

He's a good owner because he'll do whatever it takes to win.

He's a great owner because the Redskins will always be extremely profitable as long as he's in charge.

He's a bad owner because sometimes his decisions are boneheaded (Deon, charging admission for training camp, etc.)

Originally posted by Mittens

As long as he has no say when free agency comes around, I'll be happy. Sign the checks, reap the profits, and stay out of the day-to-day football operations.

I'd say whatever he's done the last few years is exactly what we want him to continue doing. I'm sure you'd agree with that.

Originally posted by Lil Lane

There's several sides you can take on Danny:

He's a good owner because he'll do whatever it takes to win.

He's a great owner because the Redskins will always be extremely profitable as long as he's in charge.

He's a bad owner because sometimes his decisions are boneheaded (Deon, charging admission for training camp, etc.)

Charging admission for camp was actually something somewhat forced upon him by the county. The area wasn't ready for a large number of fans to be on that road. The county limited the number of cars allowed and fans allowed if I recall correctly. A way to accomplish this was to charge a nominal fee which would keep some people away and also serve as a hard tracking of how many people were in attendance.

I may be remembering this incorrectly, but I believe this to be the case.

As for Deion, I think it's generally popular to say it was a bad move. But, the 2000 free agency period helped improve our defense from No. 30 to No. 4. I'll take that any day and if that's a mistake Snyder can make on the offense this year, I'll be thrilled.

"For my point of view, I will say as I've said before, there is no owner in any sport who is as good as Dan Snyder. George Steinbrenner would be close, but his need to be the overriding force in New York is what limits him."

Art, you gotta be kidding me. I know this is a Redskins site and all, but come on bro.....I thought honesty was NATIONAL....not just reserved for those who aren't fans of the Skins. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Number5

"For my point of view, I will say as I've said before, there is no owner in any sport who is as good as Dan Snyder. George Steinbrenner would be close, but his need to be the overriding force in New York is what limits him."

Art, you gotta be kidding me. I know this is a Redskins site and all, but come on bro.....I thought honesty was NATIONAL....not just reserved for those who aren't fans of the Skins. :rolleyes:

Number 5, would you rather your owner....or ours?

He spends on players and coaches which is good.

I would like to see him spend more on SCOUTING and build a scouting empire. There is no reason our drafts after the first 2 rounds should be so poor.

If he was able to find some 5th and 6th round gems (which would be possible with his cash) I'd consider him great. Right now he is still just *good*

Originally posted by Number5

Why would I be kidding.

Our owner, for example, is far superior to yours.

Our owner makes money, but spends it. He provides his football people EXACTLY what they tell him they need and he goes out and gets it. Can you imagine Snyder, as an example, waiting for YEARS to acquire a receiver in Philly which EVERYONE knew was necessary?

And now that you see how much Owens has improved your explosiveness, you just have to be MORE angry at your owner for not allowing anything to be done in this area for so long. Snyder is far and away the best owner I've ever seen in any pro sport because he balances the willingness to provide his football people what they tell them he needs to succeed with a willingness to step back and allow them to control the situation.

He doesn't become the actual GM like Jones or defacto GM like George.

I can't think of a better mix.

This one is gonna be a doosey.

While I wouldn't go as far as to call him the best owner in sports, he's certainly one of the best who "hasn't won anything." You can hardly be considered the best if you haven't gotten champagne in your eyes. However, I think he has us going in that direction.

I think it's a positive that he's acknowledged his mistakes of the past and changed his approach for the better. All the old school dinosaur owners who have their bust in Canton made their mistakes back when no one cared about football and the writers didn't write about it. But Snyder operates in a time where if a prominent sports figure farts, everyone and their mother hears about it the same hour and has an opinion on what it smelled like. I digress.

The bottom line is that I'd much rather my owner have made his mistakes out of aggression and love for his team and fan base rather than sit on his ass and do nothing but come off like he only cares about his part of the revenue sharing (about half the league).

And lest we forget, the man did the impossible and lured a legend back to the sidelines. :notworthy

Originally posted by RDSKNfaithfull

Art we all know what side of the fence you are on :laugh: How about a more in between answer like He gets a A for effort and has failed up to this point, Charges a lot for everything and has put a poor product on the field, BUT i hope he learns from his mistakes and eventually gets "it". ;)

Well, I have four levels of answer here. HIGHLY positive. Positive. HIGHLY negative. Negative. If you can't figure out where you are with four choices, I don't think adding more will help.

If you're position is he gets an A for effort but has failed, then, you need to decide if you're positive on him because of the effort or negative on him because of the failure. Should be pretty simple really.

Just a little over a year ago I might have strangled him if I ever saw him on the street. Last January 7th, when he brought Gibbs back, I granted him a reprieve:D

Seriously, I was not a big fan of Snyder's..a brief list of random reasons for my contempt:

*Made us into a laughing stock - ruined our great reputation as a class organization

*Coach-du-jour - never established continuity

*Playing coach and pursuing free agent has-beens or malcontents

*Charging for admission to training camp

*Seeing long-time Redskin employees quit or being fired

*Allowing players to go around the coach and gripe to him personally

*Constant marketing barrage - seems like everything is about making a buck

*Changing the name of the stadium to FedEx

*Trying to prevent fans from walking to the stadium for "fear of their safety" - and it wouldn't be because they were not paying to park there right?

*Squeezing seats in behind concrete pillars

Now...I'm not stupid...I understand some of these things are done to make money, something you must do in this business. And nobody has done it better than Dan...the proof is in the pudding since the Skins are the most profitable franchise in sports history. And I don't question his desire to field a successful team...but when his ways are not working it has a way of grinding on you.

He saved himself BIG TIME in my eyes by bringing back Gibbs. And this past season he did a fantastic job of keeping his nose where it belongs. So there is hope for him in my eyes. But prior to this season, he did nothing good in my eyes.

EDITED TO SAY" Cooke Jr. probably would have run us into the ground too IMO.

My issue is the double edged sword of being willing to spend tons of money. On the one hand if the coaches say that they want someone, he'll likely land them. On the other hand, having so much money seems to allow the team to be less careful about players and contracts. There is almost an easy come, easy go attitude at times. Why not sign Brunell? If he's a bust we'll get somebody else (not that I think in anyway they thought he'd be a bust). Also Danny's love of stars (which seems to have died down a bit) hurts. Everyone sees he willing to overpay, so now we have to overpay everybody. I wonder if Smoot played for Cincy and loved it there and wanted to stay if he would be demanding the same $14 million he thinks Danny can easily pay him?

No Redskin colored glasses here.

I worship 2 professional teams, one is owned by Dan Snyder and the other is owned by a jackass in King Peter Angelos and the O's.

The Daniel has done nothing besides get caught up in his emotion for his life long team, a team that through his hard work and effort he was able to purchase, make mistakes and then make a decision to let football people make the decisions. I only wish the O's had that and I know many other teams wish the same.

Originally posted by The X-Factor

He's a good owner if he continues to do what he did this past season. Which is nothing except writing checks. If he can continue to do this, he should be considered one of the best owners because he gives the staff everything they want while not meddling in the situation.

My sentiments exactly.

I think choice four about captures my feelings on the issue.

Dan has his heart in the right place, and I think it'd be foolish to think otherwise given how clear he's made it that he absolutely loves the Redskins.

He's had his share of failings, as listed above, along with others. At times, I think he loves this team too much which has created in him a proufound sense of urgency for winning. In turn, this has led to several poor impatient and capricious decisions. Along with this he carries a dangerous pride, teetering toward hubris, from his enormous success in business which has caused him, at least in part, to have a buy now/success now mentality. These two factors are largely to blame for some of his failings to this point.

I do think he's getting better, I just hope that we can get things together as a franchise (which I think, in part, we have) before Mr. Snyder leads us to ruin.

Archived