Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Millions of dollars wasted on Brunell and Portis.

endzone_dave

I'm not saying Betts is better than Portis, but I think we can win with him. Think of what would have happened if Gibbs stuck with Ramsey and Betts the whole season and all that money was spent on the O-line. This team would have easily been in the playoffs.

Those late 4th quarter rushing yards by Betts was awe inspiring.

We can win with/without Portis. But its not wasted money. He is still going to give us a ton of production and is a real threat every time he's on the feild.

Brunell is wasted money because he gives us nothing when he's on the feild. Like him or not Portis is on our team, will produce from our team, and will be there because of the cap.

This whole season was about evaluating players and finding the type of players who fit Gibbs system. There may be surprises in the offseason. Throw out the record, this is what this season was all about. We took gambles on a lot of players and they didn't work out. next year every player on the team will buy into the team concept

I can't argue about Brunell because he was and will be a waste of money.

If we get an Oline, Portis will be great. The team just needs to start to be smart with their money. Only the QB should be paid the big money. I love Lavar and he is a Pro Bowl player, but we invested a lot of money in a player that contributed nothing to the #2 D in the league. I am not saying we should get rid of Lavar, but I am saying we need to be smart with our money.

If Smoot doesn't want fair money, let him go. Don't give him Champ money. I am also not saying I don't want Smoot, and Smoot is not a top ten CB, but the team needs to be smart with their money.

Running up yards against the Vikings defense doesn't have me sold on Betts just yet. Portis still has more big play ability and is generally a better blocker and receiver. Betts maybe could be useful on the goal line, but Portis offers a lot more.

Originally posted by DjTj

Running up yards against the Vikings defense doesn't have me sold on Betts just yet. Portis still has more big play ability and is generally a better blocker and receiver. Betts maybe could be useful on the goal line, but Portis offers a lot more.

Amen.

Sick of people saying Portis was a waste...

The guy ran for 1300 yards, caught 40 passes for about 250 yards if I recall..

Hes a threat that Betts will never be IMO. I for one cant wait for him to come back next season and make everyone eat their words. Trust me I'll be bringing this back up next year.

Just baffles me how many people can say hes a waste, hes proven himself over the course of 3 seasons. Betts? One game, get over it.

:rolleyes:

Does anyone remember the offer the Jets put on the table last offseason before the Broncos offered Portis for Bailey?

I believe it was Abraham, Lemont Jordan, Anthony Becht and one or two #1's in the first round for the rights to Bailey.

What would this teams future look like with a DE like Abraham, a running back duo like Jordan and Betts, a TE/HB group of Becht, Royal and Cooley plus our 2nd round pick last season as well as one or two more players in the first round... yikes.

Portis is a stud but maybe the wrong stud for what we do. I like the Jets deal in hindsight by far if memory serves me correct.

What's wrong with a pounder? I like a guy that's going to guarantee you forward movement over. The problem with a fast, but weak runner is it causes too many 2 & 10s. I still blame it on the O-line for the most part, but get a better line and get the ball in Betts' hands more and then we can evaluate. I don't see why we can't have a Joe Washington/Riggins setup.

Originally posted by Skeletor The Invincible

The holes were there for Betts because he waited for them to open up. Portis doesn't have the patience to wait for the holes. He runs into the backs of his blockers.

If Portis is to succeed in this offense, he has to learn how to wait.

Or maybe Joe Gibbs should adapt to the talent he has. He is blessed with one of the most explosive talented backs in football and he's too stubborn to adapt his system to him? It's called adapting your system to the talent you have on the field.

Portis needs to study this Gibbs offense and how previous backs ran in it b/c he needs to be more patient w/his runs...As we saw today and everytime when Betts is in the game the Counter Trey will/does work w/a patient back, but Gibbs also needs to add more stretch and quick hitting plays in for Portis as well...They will blend together and make this O pretty scary next yr...

Originally posted by Drkstar

Does anyone remember the offer the Jets put on the table last offseason before the Broncos offered Portis for Bailey?

I believe it was Abraham, Lemont Jordan, Anthony Becht and one or two #1's in the first round for the rights to Bailey.

It was supposedly Ellis, not Abraham and first rounders were never part of the equation. We would have been stupid to make that trade, all three of those guys are free agents to be and more than likely none will be retained by the Jets.

That trade offer was an insult if I ever saw one.

Originally posted by Drkstar

What would this teams future look like with a DE like Abraham, a running back duo like Jordan and Betts, a TE/HB group of Becht, Royal and Cooley plus our 2nd round pick last season as well as one or two more players in the first round... yikes.

Portis is a stud but maybe the wrong stud for what we do. I like the Jets deal in hindsight by far if memory serves me correct.

It wasnt Abraham it was Shaun Ellis and I think they declined the deal b/c all of the players from the Jets are going to be FA's after this season...I did think at the time that was the best deal b/c we would have gotten all those players +plus their 1st....

No sense in crying over spilled milk now!

Archived