Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most Disturbing Movies Ever...

Califan007 The Constipated

Seeing a couple movies when I was young has stayed with me my entire life....I still check the shower everytime before I go in and lock the bathroom door due to the original....Psycho.....and I always close my bedroom blinds at night due to the original....Salem's Lot....that boy hovering at his friends window and scratching at it to get in....as far as modern day disturbing movies for me.....I agree with 8mm and Seven and have to add...Apt Pupil and Shindler's List....

One day I stayed home from work and rented Apt Pupil and 8mm and watched them back to back.....I was very disturbed for several days....

Originally posted by Resurrection

Funny this thread popped up. Around Halloween I was watching a special, something called "The 100 Greatest Horror Films Ever" or something to that effect. Anyhow, I saw this one film and the end freaked me out, and that's all I really saw was the end.

It's a foreign film, I think Spanish or something. The plot is something like. Guy meets girl. Girl Dissapears. Guy investigates. Meets weird dude, who you know right away is probably involved. Guy is relentless in trying to find out what happened to the girl. Gets hypnotized ( I think ) in an attempt to see if he knows anything. (Maybe by the weird dude) When the guy wakes up from his hypnosis, he has been buried alive. The camera actually shows the guy freaking out inside the coffin, banging trying to get out. That's how the movie ends. (Does that suck or what :laugh: ) Does anybody know the name of this movie?

I think you are talking about "The Serpent and the Rainbow"

A buch of crazy a*s vodoo sh*t and the big scene is where he gets buried alive at toward the end.....

I saw Audition and I thought it was up there with the most disturbing movies, but the movie actually s*cked A*S except for about 30 minutes.

I know the point of the slow moving movie, but you have to have some other critcal scenes with a bit more plot.

Yes the end was extremely disturbing and well made, but I was soo pissed throughout the movie waiting for something to happen that it affected my feeling about the movie as a whole.

Se7en has to be in the top 3. And I'm not easily disturbed ;) 'Reservoir Dogs' was disturbing, its one of the few movies I've walked out on (I was disgusted with the cop torture scene).

'The Exorcist III' freaked me out. The one hospital scene alone is enough to give you nightmares. 'Citizen X' is another creepy one. Anyone ever seen 'The Wicker Man'? Its a british or scottish film (not sure which) about a police officer investigating some disappearances. Very freaky film. I highly recommend it.

'The Vanishing' is outstanding (skip the US version with the hollywood-ized 'happy ending'....the foreign film (think its french?) is much better. I'll also add a similar flick called 'Breakdown' with Kurt Russell where his wife gets abducted is also pretty creepy.

Great thread...

I'll give you another great one, saw it when I was 19 or 20....walking around Georgetown and me and a friend stumbled into a movie house and watched 'Pixote'. Its a brazilian film about a band of orphans who've escaped an orphanage and are living on the street. Brutal, and the lead character's only 10 years old (maybe).....awesome and totally gripping.

Tarhog, that sounds exactly like the City of God movie I mentioned, except the main characters are adults, but there are dozens of kids under 10 that either murder or get murdered in it. It's a portrait of life in a slum on the edge of Rio de Janiero.

Have you seen City of God? I'd be interested to hear any more similarities.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

Tarhog, that sounds exactly like the City of God movie I mentioned, except the main characters are adults, but there are dozens of kids under 10 that either murder or get murdered in it. It's a portrait of life in a slum on the edge of Rio de Janiero.

I think Pixote is probably a little different....its almost without a plot, you get the feeling the movie is basically about what really occured there during this era. The 'actors' are mostly street children, and the star of the movie was actually killed in real life just a few years after this was filmed.

Here's the imdb info if you're interested...

Pixote

There are some eerie similarities and I'll have to check out 'City of God'....thanks for the tip...

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

"City Of God" is oustanding..one of the best movies I've ever seen. And yeah, it's rather disturbing, especially considering it's based on a true story...

Another VERY disturbing movie is "Funny Games"...that's just torture to watch. And not because it's bloody or gory (actually, it's not very bloody or gory at all), but because it's like 90 minutes of pure psychological tension...and the ONE moment in which you feel as if the tension has finally let up, the movie f*cks with you and takes it away from the audience...

Archived