Extremeskins

Chargers laughing way to AFC West title with Marty Ball

afparent

Chargers laughing way to AFC West title with Marty Ball

Dec. 14, 2004

By Clark Judge

SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Tell Clark your opinion!

When the San Diego Chargers clinch the AFC West, reaching the playoffs for the first time since 1995, they should send roses, a box of chocolates ... I don't know, maybe a weekend pass at the Hotel Del Coronado to the guy who made it all possible.

They should reach out and touch Daniel Snyder.

Marty Schottenheimer has had a lot to be happy about this season. (Getty Images)

Were it not for the Washington Redskins' impetuous owner, San Diego wouldn't be where it is today -- which is 10-3, and very close to its first division title in 10 years. That's because it was Snyder who fired Schottenheimer after one season in Washington, turning his back on him after an 8-8 finish in 2001.

Snyder said the decision was based on "philosophical and management issues, not coaching ability," which is another way of saying he wanted someone less controlling, someone who would allow him to be more involved with player matters. OK, fine, but be careful what you wish for.

In Washington the Redskins are 16-29 since tossing Schottenheimer overboard, with last weekend's loss to Philadelphia guaranteeing a third straight losing season. In San Diego the Chargers are within a victory of their best finish in 25 years, tying the 11-5 records of 1992 and 1994.

Call me naïve, but I don't believe either would've happened without Snyder's intervention.

You see, he had the right coach for his team; he either didn't know it or didn't like it, and I suspect it was the latter. So Schottenheimer lost as many as he won. Big deal. The Redskins haven't had a winning season since 1999 when Norv Turner took them to the playoffs, and we all know what happened to him.

Uh-huh, the same thing that happened to Schottenheimer following a remarkable season in 2001, a year when he won 8 of his last 11 games with Tony Banks as his quarterback. Critics said the offense was dull, unimaginative and boring; all I know is he did what Joe Gibbs and Steve Spurrier haven't since.

He won, and he did it in a way that strengthened him as a coach.

"I enjoyed my time there," Schottenheimer said. "In the course of the entire season it merely reaffirmed all those things that I believe are important as a winning football team.

"Cut it any way you want, but just imagine you have a certain theory you believe in, and you try to apply it -- but that things aren't really going the way you'd like to see them go. Then, all of a sudden, you continue to say the same things in a different way, and all of a sudden something works.

"I don't know if in the back rooms a couple of the veteran players bought into it, but the evidence was they had. At least there were enough of the others there that bought into it that we got it going and had it headed in the right direction. We made a lot of progress."

Progress? They might as well have raised the Titanic.

Schottenheimer turned a club that lost its first five and was outscored 112-16 in its first three into one of the league's hottest finishers, knocking off Philadelphia, Denver and the defending NFC-champion New York Giants along the way.

Advertisement

Schottenheimer forces a smile when you rattle off the victories, and you get the feeling he understands just how difficult they were to achieve. If not, he has friends and relatives to remind him, with his son addressing the 17-10 triumph over Denver shortly before the Chargers took on the Broncos this month in the rain of San Diego.

"He came up to me during the pregame warm-ups," said Schottenheimer, "and he said, 'This weather reminds me of the weather when we went to Denver to play the Broncos, and we lost Banks at the end of the first half and played with Kent Graham.' And I told him, 'Well, let's just hope the outcome's the same.'"

It was. The Chargers won 20-17. They won the following weekend, too. Heck, San Diego hasn't lost since Atlanta rallied to beat them on Oct. 17 -- a streak of two months and seven games.

Stretches like that are as common in San Diego as mittens in July, with the Chargers last winning seven straight in 1992 when they reached the playoffs for the first time in a decade.

Yep, it's deja vu all over again, and let's hear it for Daniel Snyder. If he'd just exercised patience with Schottenheimer ... just kept the guy around for a second season. ... just tried to work with him. ... the Chargers would have had to look for the next wave.

Instead, Snyder delivered them their next Bobby Ross.

Now, while critics wonder what's wrong with the Redskins, they don't look far to discover what's right with San Diego. Drew Brees. LaDainian Tomlinson. Antonio Gates. The offensive line. A vastly improved defense.

Ultimately, all roads lead to Schottenheimer. He hires the coaches. He coaches the players. He directs the program. He has our attention now because he's winning, but he was winning in Washington, too, making a valiant stretch run to finish second in the NFC East.

"I've said this before, and I will say it again," said Schottenheimer, "the best coaching I have ever done was in Washington."

Lucky for San Diego the Redskins didn't appreciate it.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7999606

newsflash...he aint winning with Martyball now - he's opened it up.

This hindsight BS is getting old. - Had Marty replaced Jeff George in March instead of September, and didn't fire people in the front office who were with the organization for 30 years because they weren't "his people", then he wouldn't have been replaced at that time.

Let's also not forget that Marty has a GM in SanDiego...in other words, he IS NOT the GM now is he? ...that's why he was fired.

Before you get too high on that horse, jimster,

Let's also remember: Marty was hired based on the promise that he was in charge. He intentionally had the contract written so that he'd stay in charge.

Marty was fired for refusing to allow Snyder to reneg on a contract.

(I still can't figure out, when Tuna's secretary said Jerrah was on the phone, why he didn't keep him on hold, and get Marty to fax him a copy of that contract.)

Originally posted by jimster

Marty only opened it up when his QB got comfortable in the system and started playing out of his mind...

...Last year their entire offense was dumping it off to Tomlinson - except when they were handing it off to Tomlinson.

I think we'll see the same growth in Gibbs' second year when Ramsey gets more comfortable and Gibbs knows his players better. Starting with ball control and then opening it up is definitely a more proven strategy than Fun n' Gun...

Marty opened it up to keep his job...

He was in no jeapordy here, becasue he had contract and could plead to other owners that Snyder screwed him, he had no such purtunity if he did not change in San Diego so he gave up his reigns to Cameron and VIOLA!

Also Drew Brees is not exactly Tony Banks...and LT is much better than Stephen Davis.

This is hilarious. He talks about the Redskins coming back after losing the first three games by a combined score of 112-16. Hello? Who was the coach for those first three games? They then proceeded to lose two more and were getting trampled by the Panthers (who finished the season 1-15), at home, in the sixth before Lavar's pick. Then, when the team gets back into contention, they lose 3 straight home games before beating two lackluster teams to finish at .500. He got two wins against the Cardinals that season. Spurrier only got one shot at them, and Gibbs hasn't had any.

He glosses over the fact that, prior to this season, the Chargers were atrocious and in disarray. Not to mention that, if Rivers reports to camp on time, he is probably the QB and Brees doesn't get a chance for his complete turnaround. Which means the Chargers would be limping around at 4-9, if that, like the Redskins.

This is just absolute tripe. Marty was just as responsible for the horrific start and staggering finish as he was the middle part of the season. Certainly he has done a good job this season, but he has also been very fortunate.

If this is the path we had to take to Gibbs, it's fine with me. I'd take Gibbs over Marty any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. As much as Gibbs has struggled this season, he was never nearly as terrible as Marty was those first five games. No coach has ever been.

Guys...come on...just cuz people leave this organization doesnt mean you need to trample them.....Marty is a great coach...i was pissed when Snyder fired him...it was DUMB....point blank.....DUMB....finishing the season 8-3 in his FIRST year is amazing....he did a great job of coaching here, just cuz hes on a different team doesnt demean what he did here....it was SNYDER'S fault, not Marty's that hes gone.....because of what he did here, ill always be a Marty fan....

Originally posted by Johnny Punani

Where was this article LAST year when the Chargers SUCKED? They have ONE good year. Let me repeat that, ONE good year and this tool thinks some how it's ok to bring out the baseball bat and bash Snyder now. Don't you just love the media?

thank you...actually, where was this article the past THREE years?!?!!?!

Well I allways thought that after that 8-3 finish in Marty's only year here, that if he had stayed the Redskins would have gotten to the playoffs the next year. The problem with Marty though is that he'll get you to the playoffs but never to the big game. He's a good coach but not a great coach. If you want playoffs, he's your man. If you want the Superbowl, look elsewhere.

Marty has not open up their offense this year. In fact, he simplified it.

They anticipated having a rookie QB playing this year and of course, Brees wasn't exactly lighting it up prior. In fact, Brees has only thrown for 300 yards only once this year. He is averaging about 217 yards per game. He throws a lot to his TE, Gates especially around the goal line. He takes a few shots downfield. He doesn't throw 40 passes a game. All in all, his offense is similar to what Gibbs has tried doing this year....solid defense, good oline play, QB asked not to make mistakes, run and have a few big plays.

I like Marty and would have liked to have kept him, but if we did, we have no Gibbs. It all works out in the end.

Snyder deserves to be bashed for his coaching wheel o fortune. He's too impatient with almost everyone he puts in the hot seat. For the offense to run well the players have to be in a consistent system.

Gibbs has been brought in to bring that consistency. Snyder has realized, and has admitted as much, that he can't find success through constant coaching changes. He went out and signed guys to deals that they'd be fools to wak away from.

Be homers all you want but even Snyder himself has recognized the changes are part of the problem.

Originally posted by jimster

This hindsight BS is getting old. - Had Marty replaced Jeff George in March instead of September, and didn't fire people in the front office who were with the organization for 30 years because they weren't "his people", then he wouldn't have been replaced at that time.

Let's also not forget that Marty has a GM in SanDiego...in other words, he IS NOT the GM now is he? ...that's why he was fired.

Lets not also forget that he cut Larry Centers. Someone who would've done wonders for the Skins that year and could've been the difference in us winning a couple more games and him not getting fired. All in all, I'm glad he is gone, because if he wasn't gone Joe Gibb's wouldn't be here.

so what!!!

1) people keep neglecting why it was marty was let go in KC. Some personal issues that got rather nasty my KC relatives inform me.

2) The Chargers still won't win in the playoffs. marty is an established, bona fide, no kidding....LOSER....when it comes to taking a team all the way to end state - the Super Bowl.

He ran a horrible offense in DC and we're better off without him

Originally posted by SkinsFanMania

Lets not also forget that he cut Larry Centers. Someone who would've done wonders for the Skins that year and could've been the difference in us winning a couple more games and him not getting fired. All in all, I'm glad he is gone, because if he wasn't gone Joe Gibb's wouldn't be here.

He also picked up Ki Jana Carter that season, who ended up making somewhat of an impact and helping the team win some games, including a road victory over the Eagles.

He is also responsible for bringing Antonio Pierce on board.

Criticize Marty all you want, but in my opinion, he didn't get a fair shake here. I will always wonder what might have been if he had a chance to build on the 8-3 finish to the 2001 season.

Marty should've been to the big game twice. Ernest Byner and Elway kept him from it. Our Super Bowll XXII game would've been against Cleveland had Byner not committed one of the biggest errors in playoff history. I too would've loved to have seen what we would've done in 2002 with Marty and a decent QB. We went 8-3 in the last 11 games with Tony Banks for God sakes!!!! Not to mention had Stephen Davis not fumbled with a couple of minutes left and a 7-6 lead over Dallas we would've been 9-7 and possibly a wildcard. Not saying I want Marty over Gibbs because we are starting to show signs of breaking through with improvement on the line. I just feel that SOS's years were a complete waste and I'll always wonder what 2002 could've been.

Originally posted by SlinginSammy HOF '63

Marty should've been to the big game twice. Ernest Byner and Elway kept him from it. Our Super Bowll XXII game would've been against Cleveland had Byner not committed one of the biggest errors in playoff history.

Then maybe we wouldn't have had Byner!! :(

And, as to Marty,

Just as I think I'll always have LaVarr labled as "The last person to tackle Troy Aikman", Marty, to me, will be remembered for the way he jerked Deion around. (And did so again, after Marty was with the Chargers.)

Any coach who hates Deion can't be all bad.

Archived