Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did anyone just hear Frank Herzog on SportsTalk 980?

jtyler42

LaVar has never approximated Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher in terms of consistency and leadership on the field. Perhaps some of it is his handling by multiple coordinators over time and not being designated a WLB from the start, but his pro bowl berths to me have rung somewhat hollow against what we have seen Chris Hanburger, Marshall or Ken Harvey do to earn the same status vis a vis their peers.

These other players were rocks on their respective defenses. They came to play every week and there really never were any excuses for their play.

We go round and round on Samuels because of his fragility. Yes, he is playing on a sprained ankle, but when is he not? :)

He had the high ankle sprain in 2002 and another ankle injury last season.

when is this guy going to be 100%?

Originally posted by bulldog

LaVar has never approximated Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher in terms of consistency and leadership on the field. Perhaps some of it is his handling by multiple coordinators over time and not being designated a WLB from the start, but his pro bowl berths to me have rung somewhat hollow against what we have seen Chris Hanburger, Marshall or Ken Harvey do to earn the same status vis a vis their peers.

These other players were rocks on their respective defenses. They came to play every week and there really never were any excuses for their play.

We go round and round on Samuels because of his fragility. Yes, he is playing on a sprained ankle, but when is he not? :)

He had the high ankle sprain in 2002 and another ankle injury last season.

when is this guy going to be 100%?

Brian Urlacher?

Sean Taylor is a playmaker. He scares receivers. He will be better next year.

Lavar is a playmaker. He scares QB's. He will be healthy next year.

Just imagine if we had one of those playmakers on the defensive line to go along with those 2 next year. Wow. Impact defense. Teams couldn't game plan for any one person because we would have to many playmakers and then Griffin would be even better with the attention of him.

No we don't trade out playmakers to get more 3rd round draft picks and fill up the special teams roster. That is INSANE.

Originally posted by steveskins

first, there is our cap it. SECOND, you don't trade playmakers. How many times have we needed a stop and it hasn't happened? LaVar is that LB for us, he hasn't been healthy. Goodness.

I dunno, I've been a major lavar lover over the years, but he really hasn't lived up to expectations.. Perhaps he should go

I just hope the light comes on soon with Snyder. What Gregg Williams is doing on the defense should show that its not all about the flashy high priced players.

We cannot keep giving out the contracts like we do. It will nip us in the butt no matter how much we seem to work around the cap. We are stuck with Arrington, Brunell and others because their contracts would kill our cap.

Marty Schott did us good by cleaning house and bringing in low priced vets and i think thats what we need to do this coming offseason. Draft a DE and pick up some solid vets on the o-line and we are competing again. No more Brunnell or Arrington type contracts. Its time to be frugal

This is an intriguing idea, I know the gut reaction of everyone is hell no, but on offense this teams needs a lot of help and on defense we still look solid, I'm a big LaVar fan and although my heart says no my brain says yes and I'm taking my brain in this one, we need a lot of help on offense and if we can stockpile draft picks what better way to do it instead of giving people up in trades

That is absolutly ridiculous, besides the cap hit that would come from that he will be a monster after playing within the same system for a couple of years.

C'mon that wasn't an intelligent comment. Lavar is one of the best linebackers in the game. Arrington has played for 5 different DC in as many years. Give him a little more time and he will narrow the gap between Lewis and himself.

I think the combination of a healthy Lavar and a more comfortable Taylor makes our defense really tough. I get so sick of the freelancing BS I hear about Lavar's play. I've noticed a bad technique in Taylors play. He plays way to high and arm tackles alot. He gets away with it alot of times, but it is going to bite him. Just watch the last two games and count how many times he reaches high. It makes for spectacular highlights, but it will make someone else's highlights too when they duck under his tackle and break a big one. Does that mean I don't like him or hope he gets traded? No. He needs to work on something that I teach my six year olds. Head across the body, wrap up, and drive your feet.

Originally posted by Isifhan

I love how after every loss we GM's here manage to trade away our whole roster. If the skins would listen to most people on this board we wouldn't have a team left to field.

And by the way it's a 6.5 mil dispute not 8 million and he never said he wanted his contract voided...I swear you guys make the most insane generalizations.

Exactly... as a matter of fact, he said it's only money and it's not worth losing his fans over it..

During an interview in TC..

Our defense is great this year--second in the league. But it is not a lights-out defense like the Ravens had a few years ago. With some of our injured players healthy we could win scoring 7-10 points a game because of a scary-good shut-out defense. Getting rid of Lavar is just stupid; we're supposed to be growing our own talent from within by developing our draft choices and you're not going to get a more talented draft choice to develop than Lavar. We need to stand pat on defense, maybe draft some help on the D-line, and then focus on fixing our offense without touching the one part of the team that works.

Before I would even THINK about something crazy like that, I would wait until we see what LaVar can do with a FULL SEASON under this defensive system AND when he's 100% healthy. With his speed, hitting and pass rush ability put together with Gregg Williams' guiding hand, I believe our defense can go to the next level. That of a truly ball-hawking, turnover creating AND SCORING defense!

couple hogs.

power back. (to complement portis)

resign smoot.

defensive line.

a wideout with hands.

the offseason to do list is long, no doubt.

but Lavar is a Redskin. he's under contract. the issue will be resolved. he's here to stay gentlemen.

:helmet: :cheers: :helmet:

Originally posted by cphil006

I think the fact that our D starts to lag in the 4th quarter is due to the fact that LaVar is not in there.

That's BS.The reason our defense lags in the 4th quarter is because of all them 3 and outs the offense accumulate during the game.

Originally posted by cphil006

I think the fact that our D starts to lag in the 4th quarter is due to the fact that LaVar is not in there.

...and apathy when they realize they're not getting any help from the Offense.

Actually, they have been playing better in the second half as a whole in the last 3-4 weeks. Things didn't matter in the Philly game, but they haven't exactly been giving up 4th Quarter collapses week-in and week-out. They have kept the team in position to win every game, only to have that fouled by the offense's ineptness. I'd be awfully upset with all the experimenting going on with the offense because this D is playing their hearts out weekly and getting no help from the Offense or its coaches.

Nick

Herzog is an idiot.

You'd figure a guy who's paid to report on the Redskins and professional football, would at least have a basic knowledge of how the Salary Cap works.

We can't trade Lavar even if we wanted to.

IMO, if Arrington was healthy and playing in this new scheme all season, he'd be challenging for the defensive player of the year. Arrington is a perfect fit for what Gregg Williams wants to do. He's a disruptive force, he makes plays and causes turnovers.

Archived