Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else surprised by Joe Gibbs housecleaning?

With the cutting of Iffy and Brandon Winey, according to my calculations there will be 25 to 30 new players on the Redskin roster, who were not on the roster for game 1 last season. Thats quite a turnover in one season and one has to worry about how long it will take Gibbs to get the new players to gel as a "team." Except maybe his rookie season, normally Gibbs old teams had a turnover of 10 to 15 players per season, to the best of my recollection.

I dont know about you, but I did not expect such a large house cleaning by Joe Gibbs -- ala George Allen -- in his first season back as HC. I'm not criticizing him mine you, but I just did not think there were that many underachievers on this team from last year.

Now Pro Football Weekly is reporting that Ladell Betts and Taylor Jacobs are beginning to get into the dog house as well, evidently over their constant injuries. It may be that the Rock and Sultan will beat out Betts for the backup RB spot afterall.

I already figured Cliff Russell was toast, with the play of Gari Scott. And I also think that Rashad Bauman may be getting on shaky ground. The rookie CB Rufus Brown made a couple of real nice plays in the Denver game.

Thoughts anyone? :D

The only one that shocked me was Winey, I though he played well last year in place of Samuels and would be a good backup. Iffy I think everyone saw coming after the panther game. Jacobs and betts still have a good chance to make the team imo, if they play well the next couple of games, especially Jacobs b/c he seems to have a lot of talent if he can stay healthy. But we'll see.

No. Considering Steve Spurrier was a complete failure as coach, Marty didn't do much here and of course Norv didn't do anything; it isn't shocking to see Gibbs clean house. I not going to have to high expectations this year. I think we'll go 8-8 or 9-7. Might even contend for a wild card spot late in the season. Gibbs needs to find out what in his system works and what doesn't. Also, which players will play and perform for him.

Next season, I expect even more roster changes as he purges the players who fail to perform for him.

Alot of the players are geared to the former coaches we have. Gibbs will see which ones are suited for him and the ones that aren't are gone.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

I already figured Cliff Russell was toast, with the play of Gari Scott. And I also think that Rashad Bauman may be getting on shaky ground. The rookie CB Rufus Brown made a couple of real nice plays in the Denver game.

I don't see Cliff "Ouch" Russell making it past the first round cuts. Gari Scott seems to be playing the role of last year's Scott Cloman. Jacobs seemed to impress early in mini camps, & seems to able to make the roster, albeit much lower on the depth chart. How can you not like a guy named Rufus? :D

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

With the cutting of Iffy and Brandon Winey, according to my calculations there will be 25 to 30 new players on the Redskin roster, who were not on the roster for game 1 last season. Thats quite a turnover in one season and one has to worry about how long it will take Gibbs to get the new players to gel as a "team." Except maybe his rookie season, normally Gibbs old teams had a turnover of 10 to 15 players per season, to the best of my recollection.

I dont know about you, but I did not expect such a large house cleaning by Joe Gibbs -- ala George Allen -- in his first season back as HC. I'm not criticizing him mine you, but I just did not think there were that many underachievers on this team from last year.

Now Pro Football Weekly is reporting that Ladell Betts and Jason Taylor are beginning to get into the dog house as well, evidently over their constant injuries. It may be that the Rock and Sultan will beat out Betts for the backup RB spot afterall.

wow I never even knew we signed Jason Taylor and he is in the dog house already?

:doh:

Originally posted by Posse81

Wasn't Rufus Brown carted off the field on Saturday night? Anyone know what happened to him?

Bruised thigh... ? I think.

To answer the original question: yes and no... ;)

I'm mildly surprised to see which players have so-far been axed (other than Chamberlain & Trotter), but I'm not surprised that the pink slips are being handed out at all to veterans of the last regime.

Nick

Originally posted by Posse81

Wasn't Rufus Brown carted off the field on Saturday night? Anyone know what happened to him?

Leg injury, but it wasn't serious.

Inmate, haven't we been over the gelling thing already? Doc walker went over it, the players have talked about, this team IS a team. It'll be fine man, but when did we get Jason Taylor? :laugh: We must have it pretty good if he's in our doghouse. :D

The coaching staff wants to bring in players that fit their system and Gibbs wants to bring in players that are Redskins.

By cutting players that don't perform, don't meet expectations or don't work hard he shows everyone else what type of player he is looking for.

That said, I would surprised if Jacobs is cut. Betts I think needs to prove himself the rest of training camp.

I don't see a house cleaning next year like the one they had this year. Yes, Gibbs will cut people and bring in people and the team will lose people they wanted to keep, but not the 25 -30 player transition of this year.

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

I don't see Cliff "Ouch" Russell making it past the first round cuts. Gari Scott seems to be playing the role of last year's Scott Cloman. Jacobs seemed to impress early in mini camps, & seems to able to make the roster, albeit much lower on the depth chart. How can you not like a guy named Rufus? :D

Whatever happened to Scott Cloman? Is he still on the roster?

Inmate, your surprise is a bit surprising. In the last several years the Redskins have not been a "team" -- they've been an assemblage of different guys. It seems that in the previous regime players were picked solely on their "stats." Gibbs looks at the mental ability or intelligence first and then at physical talent. In the end are you going to help the team win?

Winey, Betts, and Jacobs may all be smart and talented but if they can't stay healthy then that doesn't do the team any good either. Tremendous talent often buys a player more time to get healthy and get "it." With Winey we just don't have the luxury of keeping a guy who isn't on the field. Jacobs probably sticks because he does appear to have the talent and has been snake bitten. Betts is a tough question. He probably is a guy who has the talent to really contribute. But how valuable is a power back who can never play because he's always nicked up?

Originally posted by Renegade7

Leg injury, but it wasn't serious.

Inmate, haven't we been over the gelling thing already? Doc walker went over it, the players have talked about, this team IS a team. It'll be fine man, but when did we get Jason Taylor? :laugh: We must have it pretty good if he's in our doghouse. :D

Doc may have talked about the team gelling, but no one has mentioned a housecleaning of 25 to 30 players yet.

But thats o.k., if you dont want to participate and play, then go back to your marbles. ;) Just kidding you Renegade. :D

Coach Gibbs isn't cutting players that don't fit his "system", he is cutting players who are not performing. We are running a plain Jane Vanilla offense right now to see how our individuals play. As he settles on players, we will see a little more "system" put into place, but not too much in preseason.

Originally posted by thinker

Inmate, your surprise is a bit surprising. In the last several years the Redskins have not been a "team" -- they've been an assemblage of different guys. It seems that in the previous regime players were picked solely on their "stats." Gibbs looks at the mental ability or intelligence first and then at physical talent. In the end are you going to help the team win?

Winey, Betts, and Jacobs may all be smart and talented but if they can't stay healthy then that doesn't do the team any good either. Tremendous talent often buys a player more time to get healthy and get "it." With Winey we just don't have the luxury of keeping a guy who isn't on the field. Jacobs probably sticks because he does appear to have the talent and has been snake bitten. Betts is a tough question. He probably is a guy who has the talent to really contribute. But how valuable is a power back who can never play because he's always nicked up?

Your points are well taken and valid.

My surprise though has been the EXTENT of the housecleaning -- unless my calculations are incorrect, and I dont think they are.

Art, who is a pretty knowledgeable football guy I believe, commented a few months ago that he thought that the Redskin roster was pretty talented and well set for the 2004 season and that he did not foresee that much turnover in personnel. Especially being that we had most of our players locked up with multi-year contracts. I agreed with him at the time. But it looks like the team has a bunch of talented underachievers now. :doh:

Archived