Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Call that blew my mind

Ignatius J.

I'm about to second guess joe gibbs here, but I want to make it clear that I don't take this seriously what with the preseason and all.

3rd and 8

We line up with, what, 3 tight ends and a wide reciever? Singleback.

(maybe two and a fullback)

did anyone else catch this formation, and what on earth was joe thinking?

3rd and 4, fine, maybe gibbs is crazy enough to run, but not 3rd and 8.

It was a pass play, not even max protect, and it failed.

What was gibbs possibly thinking?

Guest Westbrook36

He runs a vanilla offense in the preseason. He has probably ran all of five different plays this preseason.

You must be mistaken.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

He runs a vanilla offense in the preseason. He has probably ran all of five different plays this preseason.

You must be mistaken.

It's the preseason...Reid looks ready:laugh:

Coaches call plays/put players in different positions to see what they can handle in preaseason, they also put different packages in to see matchups. Someone asked yesterday why Gibbs is running the ball during

overtime.:doh:

I was surprised that Gibbs or someone on the staff didn't dispute the catch where the Carolina receiver only had one foot in bounds. I know it's preseason, but I hope this staff has a handle on this instant replay thing when the games start to count.

Originally posted by Rocky21

I was surprised that Gibbs or someone on the staff didn't dispute the catch where the Carolina receiver only had one foot in bounds. I know it's preseason, but I hope this staff has a handle on this instant replay thing when the games start to count.

The staff was trying to but Carolina realized that they got away with it and ran a quick snap play before the ref noticed the replay flag so the play couldnt be reviewed. A second quicker and the ref wouldve noticed it and they wouldve reviewed it.

when somebody answers a question by saying "preseason," it refers to the fact that gibbs is EVALUATING the players. he doesn't care what play he is calling or what formation he is running. he wants to look at certain aspects of certain players and see if they are going to work. sure he wants to get first downs and watch his team do well, but he is more worried about finding out who his players are right now.

You're 23. I assume you are a very big NFL fan. A fan who has knowledge of the game and belief in certain concepts and from this you draw structures of principle that flash in your mind as questionable when certain elements are visible. And yet, you seem to be unwilling to put into that knowledge one overriding principle that ought to guide you.

Joe Gibbs isn't an offensive mastermind with Xs and Os in our hopes, as Spurrier was. Our dreams are not where Gibbs' reputation as a winner comes from. It's history that spells that out. Whether Gibbs wins now or not is largely irrelevant to the key item that should always be at the top of your mind, even when your eyes question what you're seeing.

That key item is, Gibbs has some concept of what he's doing that surpasses even the keen knowledge you may hold. Or that I may possess. Or than any of us can claim.

There are things I see that don't make sense either. For example, you have a back of exceptional speed in Portis. Yet, have we even tried a single sweep or pitch play to put him on the edges this preseason? Gibbs runs play action to success like few in history. We've seen, what, two or three total play-action plays this preseason?

When I see things that don't make sense to me, I keep in mind the preseason means something different to Gibbs than it does to me, perhaps, and knowing how he views things, I find it difficult to be surprised by anything. When the season opens, I recall as a 34-year-old fan something you may not as a 23-year-old fan.

It's a different ball game and the team looks nothing like it does now.

It's night and day.

Importantly though, this Redskins team has a terrible burden to overcome this season. New systems on both sides of the ball that require precise understanding and continual drilling. That comes in private with Gibbs and always has. Only now, there's a great advantage Gibbs has and wants to maintain as long as possible, despite the burdens.

That advantage is that 12-year-old game tape only tells you so much. Why not show easily diagnosed formations and play calls during the preseason knowing it's unlikely the same sorts of plays or calls will be witnessed during the regular season?

The longer you can keep the league guessing at the design and function of this offense, the better it'll be early in the year when we will be, ourselves, struggling to come to grips with everything as a team. Perhaps one burden is somewhat offset by this advantage.

And, I think it's important to respect the known history of Gibbs during hte preseason. Even when you can't conceive of what's going through his mind.

They aren't trying to win, they are trying to evaluate players, what is wrong with three tight ends? You know, two of them are eligible for passes plus the running abck and WR gives them 4 guys to catch a pass on 3rd and 8, seems like a good call to me...

Originally posted by Ignatius J.

I'm about to second guess joe gibbs here, but I want to make it clear that I don't take this seriously what with the preseason and all.

3rd and 8

We line up with, what, 3 tight ends and a wide reciever? Singleback.

(maybe two and a fullback)

did anyone else catch this formation, and what on earth was joe thinking?

3rd and 4, fine, maybe gibbs is crazy enough to run, but not 3rd and 8.

It was a pass play, not even max protect, and it failed.

What was gibbs possibly thinking?

Well, I think there are 2 answers here.

#1 - It's pre-season.

#2 - Maybe he wants to see what his offense is capable of in these types of situations.

I think he is pushing this team to the limits of their abilities & knowledge & is trying to squeeze every ounce out of them, so he puts them in...well, sh*tty situations like a running play on 3rd & 8 to see what they can pull off. Right now, not much, but Gibbs likes imagination, so...relax, sit back, drink a cold one, & be thankful that it is still pre-season.

For those of you expecting a 16-0 run, this will be a tough season for you to swallow.

:helmet: :D

Originally posted by Art

You're 23. I assume you are a very big NFL fan. A fan who has knowledge of the game and belief in certain concepts and from this you draw structures of principle that flash in your mind as questionable when certain elements are visible. And yet, you seem to be unwilling to put into that knowledge one overriding principle that ought to guide you.

Joe Gibbs isn't an offensive mastermind with Xs and Os in our hopes, as Spurrier was. Our dreams are not where Gibbs' reputation as a winner comes from. It's history that spells that out. Whether Gibbs wins now or not is largely irrelevant to the key item that should always be at the top of your mind, even when your eyes question what you're seeing.

That key item is, Gibbs has some concept of what he's doing that surpasses even the keen knowledge you may hold. Or that I may possess. Or than any of us can claim.

There are things I see that don't make sense either. For example, you have a back of exceptional speed in Portis. Yet, have we even tried a single sweep or pitch play to put him on the edges this preseason? Gibbs runs play action to success like few in history. We've seen, what, two or three total play-action plays this preseason?

When I see things that don't make sense to me, I keep in mind the preseason means something different to Gibbs than it does to me, perhaps, and knowing how he views things, I find it difficult to be surprised by anything. When the season opens, I recall as a 34-year-old fan something you may not as a 23-year-old fan.

It's a different ball game and the team looks nothing like it does now.

It's night and day.

Importantly though, this Redskins team has a terrible burden to overcome this season. New systems on both sides of the ball that require precise understanding and continual drilling. That comes in private with Gibbs and always has. Only now, there's a great advantage Gibbs has and wants to maintain as long as possible, despite the burdens.

That advantage is that 12-year-old game tape only tells you so much. Why not show easily diagnosed formations and play calls during the preseason knowing it's unlikely the same sorts of plays or calls will be witnessed during the regular season?

The longer you can keep the league guessing at the design and function of this offense, the better it'll be early in the year when we will be, ourselves, struggling to come to grips with everything as a team. Perhaps one burden is somewhat offset by this advantage.

And, I think it's important to respect the known history of Gibbs during hte preseason. Even when you can't conceive of what's going through his mind.

I couldn't have said that better myself! :notworthy

Let me add that I doubt Gibbs will be calling 44 pass plays and 21 rushing plays in a close game during the regular season. It's near impossible to guess what he's trying to accomplish during any one play of a pre-season game.

The Skins are playing possum... The QB's are also told to take it back a notch so as to not look so good.. Its all part of Gibbs Master plan you will see. This preseason looks no different than his in years past. You must trust in his ways and you will see that come sept you will have though we purchased a new team.

Art,

Your post, I think, was addressed in my preamble.

I harbor no dilusions that this was anything other than preseason, and is thus stranger than anything we have dreamt of in our philosophies.

But there is still a game to be played as a fan. We are supplied dots, and we may connect them.

I just feel like there was a mess of dots thrown out right here, and I am wondering if anyone has any interesting ways to connect them. This question is largely irrelevant to the success of joe gibbs. I'm not questioning that.

On the subject of your point, we have run portis outside on a few occasions, but never with a pitch. It's been a while since I've seen a power toss play, and the counter toss is definately the kind of thing you keep under raps in preseason (although denver did run one against us). So that makes more sense to me than this.

Passing out of heavy jumbo on third and 8. I guess you get to see how all of your tight ends perform in one pass play....

If they go nickel you might be able to overpower thier defenders. If you have great pass catching tight ends they might match up well against linebackers?

I hear what you're saying guy, I just think you have to appreciate the fact that something that doesn't make sense to you now may not make sense because there's no plan behind it. It could well be Gibbs wanted to see specific formations on specific third downs as the game progressed and it didn't matter what the distance was.

Gibbs isn't building a variable play chart with game plan design dictating down and distance. He's throwing 15 to 20 plays onto a chalkboard and rotating them around. In fact, it's a whole lot like watching Spurrier simply call out plays to see what sticks without building on anything. No game planning will do that. And that's what we're doing -- or not doing -- now.

The name of the game on plays like that IMO is more an analysis of the team in a particular play and situation. From the years I've been a skins fan, Gibbs likes to put situational pressure on the players, in order to determine strengths, breaking points etc. In order to truly "connect the dots" so to speak, you need to don a pair of Gibbs glasses momentarily, and realize that pre-season is not supposed to make sense to the fans. It's a time of microscope type evaluation, and situational testing, not drive down the field and score on every possession.

Archived