Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Call that blew my mind

Ignatius J.

Two notes...

First, the folks who say it is just pre-season are not saying this because of hope for the future. They are likely (as I am) saying this because we have seen it clear as day before. I remember being the most frustrated fan during his previous preseasons just to be happily surprised during the regular session (this does not mean he is perfect and we will win every game, just that this is as it was before) Gibbs does not play his entire playbook in the preseason and does not game plan a specific game plan for the opponent (not saying he does not prepare just that he does not normally set a playbook for the weaknesses of his opponents in the preseason). That does not mean he does not want to win (heck be in every game with the game on the line is a great test for his players (rather than a blow out either way)). He could have seen something he wanted to try or he could have been looking for a play from that formation that you did not expect which just did not work out.

Second, he has the additional insight of a lot of practice we have not seen. I have no idea but he could be working on things that have been more problematic in practice during the games to ensure the team runs them against opponents. I just made that up but who knows, we do not. I am sure Gibbs has seen Clinton run a bunch more things than we have and maybe very comfortable with it, where he is not comfortable with the pass routes and QB reads (thus the huge skew in pass versus run). Work the team hard on the trouble spots now would be a good thing going into games that count.

BTW, wouldn't you think with the game on the line, if winning were his absolute measure, that he would have used his best kicker? Right there it tells you that he is looking for things other than specifically the win.

My couple cents.

It is quite obvious that Gibbs isn't showing his hand, and this in turn is resulting in the lower #'s from the backs and the QB's. For example, how many screen passes have you seen? How many times have you seen more than a single-back in the backfield? The answer is none from what I can remember.

The Bucs are gonna have a hell of a time trying to game plan against Gibbs. :notworthy

Archived