Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The White Album vs. London Calling

OrangeSkin

Originally posted by Mr. Nostril

Also, and I'm sure I'll get resistance for this I always do. The Beatles were never really great, only consistently very good. They are more notable for coming out every year with another very good album that's short of greatness, but never releasing anything mediocre or even just good. Except for their very early stuff, but once Rubber Soul came out always very good.

"they were more notable for....." Sounded like a statement of fact to me. Not an opinion. Don't want to split hairs on the meaning of the words. Guess it depends on who is doing the noting. My bad. Didn't know it was just an opinion. I'd say they were more notable for putting out great albums instead of just very good ones when that would have pleased the masses anyway. They were always trying to perfect their craft and evolve when they could have very easily just spit out pop hits and threw fillers on their albums.

And Train in Vain sucks. Really puts a damper on the album for me.

Nazi!

Now I'm a Nazi who can Multi-Qoute!

Originally posted by Woofer Magoo

Right next to the quote button is a checkbox. Check as many as you want on one page. Then click the multi-quote button at the bottom of the page.

I've never had luck with multi-quoting across several pages.

Thanks.

I have to say that so far in this thread about the clash I've made two real points, and I think about everyone agrees on them.

1. It takes more than simply pointing out how much public acceptance a band has to say definitively that they are better.

2. The results are slanted towards the Beatles, when this poll is done in America.

I don't really see what people are arguing about at this point.

To Sebowski - Where do you get your info that Fugazi doesn't allow moshing at their shows. I disagree with your claim that that makes them necessarily "not punk", but that does seem rather strange.

I have to say that so far in this thread about the clash I've made two real points, and I think about everyone agrees on them.

1. It takes more than simply pointing out how much public acceptance a band has to say definitively that they are better.

2. The results are slanted towards the Beatles, when this poll is done in America.

I don't really see what people are arguing about at this point.

To Sebowski - Where do you get your info that Fugazi doesn't allow moshing at their shows. I disagree with your claim that that makes them necessarily "not punk", but that does seem rather strange.

Point 2: Where are the Beatles from again? But point taken.

Fugazi. Seen 'em twice. Great show, except they will literally stop playing if people start moshing and refuse to start again until they stop. Thats not punk. Thats being elitist and stupid. Mosh pits don't take up the enitre crowd(most of the time) If you don't want to be in it you move. Can you imagine no pit at a M9nor Threat show?Back then Ian would probably stop a show if anyone had a beer.

That's crazy about Fugazi and the moshing, I'd like to read something about his rationale for why he does that.

It doesn't matter where the Beatles are from except in a game of trivial pursuit. What's important is that the Beatles were a major phenomenon in America, while the clash had two hits in america a few years after their glory days, when they were very popular in Britain.

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by Sebowski

I thought Fugazi was too cool to be "punk". If the band refuses to let people mosh at their shows, they are not punk.

Ian's stance on moshing: http://www3.mb.sympatico.ca/~johnsont/fugazi/faqnew11.htm

4. I heard that there is no moshing allowed at Fugazi concerts? Is this true?

The band has taken a stand against moshing. This is because the band doesn't want to see anyone carried away from their shows on a backboard. Ian has said that it has a lot to do with the macho image that moshing has taken on. It is an unfair concert where the biggest and the strongest are the ones with the best seats because they push everyone else out of

the way.

Ian says this about it: "We play loud, electric guitar music, and you'd hope that that doesn't mean you have to act like an *******".

So dance, jump up and down and enjoy yourself, but don't push forward, and show a bit of concern for those around you. That is all they ask.

Bang---

Small world I guess as I used to work at the Wax Museum back in the day (as well as other small venues) and I did the setup for many Ramones shows (including 1982). I still remember helping one of their roadies get into his gabba-gabba-hey monkey mask. The Wax was a fantastic venue and the highlight of my work there was doing the load-in/load-out for the Bob Marley Legends tour with the I-threes.

The old 9:30 club rocked and I saw fishbone there many times (I think my ears are still ringing). But I digress...

The White album is absolutely classic but London Calling came out as I was starting to really get into music. I wore out my vinyl copy in 6 months and my cd has been played about 500 times. However, the white album is legendary. All-in-all, both of these recordings are desert island must-haves.

Originally posted by buju

Bang---

Small world I guess as I used to work at the Wax Museum back in the day (as well as other small venues) and I did the setup for many Ramones shows (including 1982). I still remember helping one of their roadies get into his gabba-gabba-hey monkey mask. The Wax was a fantastic venue and the highlight of my work there was doing the load-in/load-out for the Bob Marley Legends tour with the I-threes.

The old 9:30 club rocked and I saw fishbone there many times (I think my ears are still ringing). But I digress...

The White album is absolutely classic but London Calling came out as I was starting to really get into music. I wore out my vinyl copy in 6 months and my cd has been played about 500 times. However, the white album is legendary. All-in-all, both of these recordings are desert island must-haves.

Being of that era, you are the same age as my sister, and attending those venues you must have seen the Slickee Boys then?

Originally posted by Bang

I didn't hang out with those guys much after that. Right around then WHFS moved from it's old 102.3 frequency, where I think they had all of about 12 watts... to 99.1 and I could hear it consistently,, and wow.

I know I'll sound like an old fart, but that station used to be the greatest radio station east of the Rocky Mountains.. back in the days of Meg, Mark, Weasel, Bob, man.. they had absolute free reign. Could play anything as long as it was within fcc guidelines. I heard SO much stufff.. so MANY different types of music .. it totally blew me clear of that one-track thinking I was accustomed to.. taught me a band called "Echo and the Bunnymen" can be damn good even if they have a screwy name for example.

Man, that was indeed the Golden Age for me. I love new music, always will as a result of the ten years or so that HFS managed to stave off the corporate crap. I have to have it, or I get antsy. Always, gimme something new.

And now, you just can't find it. Not in the vareity they used to give. WRNR is ok, I guess, if you're a Deadhead, but even their idea of 'progressive' all sort of has the same sound. (I like LaunchCast on Yahoo. I give them the 30 bucks a year for the premium service, and I find it has a terrific variety. I've heard more new bands I like there in the last 12 months than I have in the last five years of local corporate radio. (Check out the Forty Fives.. not really new,, but new to me.. wow!)

~Bang

Bang,

Cool story. Being eight years your senior, I must really sound like an old fart. While in High School, I used to work in Bethesda, MD. at my Dad's gas station on Wisconsin Ave., pumping gas for customers, as there were no Self Service pumps back then. I was 17 or so, and since I mainly worked night shift, I'd crank up the radio and listen to HFS every night. The owner of HFS had an account with us so I regularly met and spoke with most of the DJ's as they filled 'er up. Damian, David, Bob, Weasel, etc. WHFS turned me on to music period. They used to play 45 minute sets, get on a theme and just take off. I remember getting pencil and paper ready to take down albums and artists names to add to my collection. Bands like Little Feat, Bruce Springsteen, Root Boy Slim and the Rootettes, artists like Bonnie Raitt would regularly perform live in the studio. When I turned 18, I started to hit the clubs such as the Psyche-delly, Blues Alley and see local acts like The Night Hawks w/Thackery, Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton, and Billy Price and the Keystone Rhythm Band (out of Pittsburgh). Great stuff!

HFS gave both the Clash and the Beatles much love. They were respectful of the Blues and early Rock, gave credit where it was due, and resented artists who didn't give props to their obvious influences.

Remembering all of this also reminds me that while all of this was going on, the Redskins were playing great under George Allen. Remind me some time to recount all of the Redskins players that used to come in and gas up over the years. I never realized what an education performing seemingly menial tasks could be. I sort of hated to leave for college, but at least I had my albums and a kick-ass stereo.

• 6 years later...

for sheer variety and diversity of sounds it's the White Album

for its 'game changer' status its London Calling

Many would cite London Calling as the best cd from the Clash. The White Album is just another epic offering by the Beatles, and probably not even their best (which is downright amazing)

I'm not sure why I should have to choose.

The White Album was accessible to me at 8 years old, and now it's accessible in a totally different way. Pretty incredible. It's full of sounds and ideas that were totally new. A lot of them I never noticed until I was older.

London Calling would have made no sense to me at 8 years old. In high school it became a perfect fit. It taught me about some different things that music can do, like being harder without sacrificing the sharpness of its message. It offers a bit of a social history lesson via headphones.

Both precede my elementary school graduation, yet both were -- and are -- highly influential upon my musical tastes. I have both albums and love 'em both. That's good enough for me.

a VERY worthy competition, there... I love teh white album, but it is quite possible that london calling is my favorite album of all time. grea great GREAT stuff... and honestly many people would be surprised how much they like it if they gave it a chance (listened to it 10 or so times). My children (all girls, under the age of 10) love that album now, and actually beg for it to be played when they are in the car... i can guarantee that will not be the case for the sex pistols (whom i also really like, but they are no where nearly as universally appealing)

my vote: London Calling in a landslide.

Archived