Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ricky Williams to Retire (merged)

semiskin

knowing that he has social-anxiety disorder (been public for a number of years now) makes this scenario even that much more unlikely, or at least the reasoning behind his return. this man hated fame, why would he want to come back and have a brighter spotlight shone upon him?

Originally posted by Yusuf06

He'll probably miss all the adulation and social contact he got as an NFL player and return to the game in a year or two.

Williams indicated he has three kids and I am assuming a wife/girlfriend. Did the kids and their mother accompany Williams on his trip to Asia? He was traveling around with Lenny Kravitz and Snoop Dogg, did is kids and their mother accompany him there.

Sounds like Ricky just wants to sit on the beach, smoke some weed, get a little something on the side while enjoying life without taking any responsibility for anything.

FJ,

That is my point. Where were his oh-so-precious children then? Where are his kids NOW?

IS he enriching their lives with a trip to Asia? When he turned down 750K to have Gillette shave his head(which he did for free) he essentially told the people(including his kids) that could have been helped by that money to "go screw themselves." How many kids could have had their education paid for that, or surgery or treatment for cancer with that money?

Sorry, I do NOT respect him because there is "more to life than football." THanks for the enlightenment, by the way. I expected miragv's response, but I'm disappointed in Johnny.

There is something called obligation and HONOR, something that Ricky apparently, with his three kids out of wed-lock and timing does not comprehend.

Again, it is NOT his leaving that is the shame, it is the manner and IMO, the motivation.

Also, AGAIN--he could not afford to RETIRE and smoke weed and "learn about himself(what a joke--I think about who I am everyday, and I go to work too--his KIDS are who he is, at least partly.) Hell, I have a friend who always travels the world and he saves his money and gives enough notice to his employer before he goes.

And say what you want, but a TEAM is different. THese guys were depending on him. All that honor required of him, was to say something before the draft, or at least a month ago.

Originally posted by Hooper

The Dolphins will be fine once they sign Trung Candidate.

Oh wait, let me put down that Ricky Williams chronic.

My initial instinct tells me that they'll look at Najeh Davenport and Lamar Gordon. Both are quality #2 RBs who have suitable depth behind them in Tony Fisher and Steven Jackson, respectively. But neither replacement is overly threatening, especially when one considers that Miami doesn't have a respected QB.

This is great news for me. My Dad's pain in the butt wife is the hugest phin fan of all time. Just last week she was claiming superbowl. This ought to shut her fat trap for a while.:laugh:

As for Ricky, if he doesn't want to play he shouldn't play. I don't think that makes him crazy, stupid, or a stoner. It's always been obvious he wasn't comfortable in the limelight. Maybe he just wanted out while he was still young and healthy. Too bad he didn't give the phins a little warning though, b/c they're screwed.:D

if we send them a first round and Sultan for Ogunleye, Miami will have a decent group of young running backs. And if it doesn't work, they will have our first rounder. Remember, Steven Jackson wasn't taken until like the 24th in the draft last year, and he was the best running back coming out of college last year. As for the extra cap space: Miami had about $6.9 million in cap space prior to Ricky's retirement. Ricky's contract was insentive based anyway, so it's not like Miami didn't have the money.

Originally posted by semiskin

Just imagine if we would have taken him instead of Roland that year. Apparently he's going to go do some traveling and go back to school. You know finding himself and all that crap.

Who's Roland? We took Champ Bailey. If we had not traded with the Saints, Bailey would've been drafted at the spot we were at.

Originally posted by Rdskns2000

Who's Roland? We took Champ Bailey. If we had not traded with the Saints, Bailey would've been drafted at the spot we were at.

Roland "Champ" Bailey.

I feel bad for the Dolphins but happy for Ricky. If this makes him happy then great. Curious however if now that he is done would the truth come out about him. There were many rumors before about him being gay and he was afraid to say anything till he retired. I am amazed someone can see past the fame and fortune.

When Dan Le Batard talked about everyone wanting Ricky back for selfish reasons, no one told him to come back for himself, and this was the clincher. I just hope he stays with this decision instead of coming back now.

When did Barry retire, was it before training camp or early in the offseason?

There was an interesting note in Clayton's ESPN column stating that Miami can sue Williams for quitting early and can at least get some of their money back:

When the Dolphins acquired Williams in a trade from the Saints, they did pick up the contract and the right to sue him if he quits early. The Saints gave him an initial signing bonus of $8.843 million, and even though the Dolphins didn't have to pay the Saints for a portion of the bonus, they do have the ability to sue for him to fulfill the contract.

If successful, the Dolphins would get a $3.3 million repayment for failure to perform. Williams is signed through 2006 and would owe the Dolphins three years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=1846119

Ricky is the man. It's great that he is just doing what he wants to do despite all the presure from EVERYWHERE. The media is giving him such a bad rap, painting him as weird and unpredictable. He just wants to live his life the way he wants to. One columnist said that he is being shallow for just wanting to smoke blunts on some island and said that maybe they can get him back to his senses when he wants the millions he walked away from. What's more shallow, playing football for money even though you don't want to or traveling the world, learning about other cultures and not being so aggressivley Calvinist as to think that marijuana is the devil's weed?!?!?!

As as stoner myself, perhaps I'm being biased, but I'm not greedy man, give me 1 million dollars from an NFL contract and as soon as I get it, I too will be booking a one-way flight to Southeast Asia and that sticky-icky-icky-ooo-wee!!!

Archived