Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ricky Williams to Retire (merged)

semiskin

If you are a gambler like me go bet the under on the Dolphins wins RIGHT NOW! Its still set at 9! Thanks for the cash Ricky!!!

:cheers: :wave: :party: :jump: :dj: :peaceout:

Disclaimer: gambling is illegal in most staes and is bad. Don't do it. This probably isn't considered gambling as much as stealing, which as also bad.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

I am curious as to how large of a cap hit the Dolphins have to take this year, if Williams is officially filing retirement papers next week?

Although Bruce Smith has not officially retired yet, the Skins cut him which had the same effect at his advanced age, and we incurred a $2.3 million dead money cap hit for 2004. :doh:

No dead money as far as I am aware, he is still on that stupid contract Master P got him in New Orleans, so New Orleans swollowed all the dead money two years ago!

He was contracted until 2006 so the Phins are getting $3.375M a year cap relief for the next 3 years!

Originally posted by panel

He doesn't owe anyone SH!T, yeah he has a contract, but owners cut players before their contracts are up, and no one makes a deal about it, this is the same thing. Should owners give everyone two weeks notice before cutting someone?

Ricky got sick of it, he should have the right to walk away, just because you got fans doesn't mean that you should do what ever they want.

Actually, one of the tenets of a team is that, uh, yes, you do owe people SH!t. And, if you hadn't noticed, many players, especially the franchise-types are given opportunities to find employment elsewhere, as what happened with Emmitt Smith. So does every player get that? No. But the Williams-type player often DOES get that kind of consideration, at least an early release so they can find somewhere to go where they might get starter's time. This occurs every offseason. Because the owners technically have the ability to cut you whenever they want, doesn't mean you should conduct yourself in that manner, especially when players always complain about it.

No one said Ricky doesn't have the right to walk away, but this was something brewing in his mind some time before this week. The honorable thing would have been to voice this concern(this isn't a "my foot hurts, let me keep it quiet until I figure out if its serious" deal, this is I dont SUIT UP AGAIN EVER-type feeling) to his coach. He even could have left it open, so that they could at least have had the chance to draft someone to replace him.

I think you'll find that almost everyone who is critical of him is critical of his timing and his somewhat ridiculous reasoning. Prisco is right. The "happy people in tin shacks" in Jamaica would rapidly switch places with Ricky.

Plus, let's not get carried away in our praise of this dude. He is a flake. This means that it's just as possible in a year or two he secretly wishes to come back. He has not shown any type of consistency, other than inconsistent conduct. This isn't even a Robert Smith who was saving his knees and health so he could go to medical school(though Smith is coming off as more and more of a prick in recent interviews)

Fact is, I actually don't respect the guys who make the money then b--- about the game that gives them the opportunity to walk away when others couldn't.

Smoking weed and travelling the world can be done at any point in your life. His kids are important, yet where is the wife figure to be the mother ot them? Or is it that he has three different baby mommas?(or two?) Again, the man is probably a 'good guy' but is no role model.

"So Daddy tell us about the time an entire organization was depending on you and you left them in the lurch one week before training camp before scurrying away on a plane to Asia, without even the courage to face the music so that you could, uh...take pictures, smoke dope and do something you could have done in the offseason? And you're also telling us you could have had 2-3 million more to donate to charity and leave to us for our security?"

:laugh:

its his life to do whatever, but I agree it wouldn't of been too hard if he at least said back in February, in private, "Hey coach, I might not play this season - let's keep this quiet for now until I decide"

Then they could of drafted someone or gone after a FA.

OMG, scratch the Dolphins off the playoff contender list. This whole offseason has been twisted for them to the brink. Count this as the last season for Wadsted. Yes, I said it. End of upcoming horrible season, he's wasted.

GIVE US OGUNLEYE!!!

Originally posted by IGWT

The guy is a manic depressive. He is now riding on his mania and will soon come crashing down as soon as he realized what he did. He'll be back next season.

My thoughts exactly...he has a well documented mental illness. His behavior is so typical of someone suffering from this...giving money away and making irrational decisions. When this manic cycle runs its course he will be regretting this decision. Sounds like he hasn't been taking his medicine. :2cents:

Ron Jeremy...you are from Salisbury too?

I don't hit this place as much as I should, but it is close to game time.

Where do you watch the games?

I think Ricky just may be getting out of 2 a days...they will suspend him anyway for 4 games so why beat the hell out of yourself?

he really never seemed to be as big in Miami as he was in New Orleans, of course they got good with Deuce McAllister anyways. Sucks for the Dolphins though, give Dung a call. I like how he emphasized about his drug use in the article.

Just because Williams' decision to leave is out of Wanstedt's control doesn't mean that the ownership will really cut him any slack at the end of the year when they look at his record and try and figure out whether or not they want to retain him. I think that his return is already doubtful and if they don't make the playoffs, he will be canned, regardless of where the blame should go.

I'm not saying that Wannstedt won't necessarily lose his job at the end of the year (in the event of a poor season), but the one thing we must remember is that he has a very good working relationship with Dolphins' owner Wayne Huizenga. This strong relationship between owner and coach is the sole reason why Wannstedt was rewarded with a new two year deal in the offseason. Otherwise, a team with this much talent, who has failed to meet expectations repeatedly would have canned Wannstedt a long time ago.

In my opinion, the terrible timing of the Williams retirement decision along with Huizenga's support of Wannstedt doesn't necessarily put Dave in a doomed position. If anything, he might be cut a bit more slack with expectations for the team suddenly taking a nose dive.

If Wannstedt gets this club to play .500 football or a little better considering the circumstances, he might very well be back. Over the past two years it's been said that certain Dolphins players have started to ignore him and tune him out. If he loses complete control of the team and locker room this season then Huizenga might have no choice and be forced to fire him. Otherwise, it's realistic to think that maybe Wannstedt might have a bit more room for error.

I really considered the Dolphins to be a contender, they were solid on offense, missing only a true good QB -- Ricky, Chambers, Boston, McMicheal, and they still have one of the better defenses in the league. Well now, they're pretty screwed.

Williams=:bong: :insane: so I'm not particularly surprised about this move. He'll probably miss all the adulation and social contact he got as an NFL player and return to the game in a year or two. Besides, weed has gotten a lot more expensive since I was in college so he'll need as much $$ as he can get. Giving it away to strangers won't help things much either.

As for his comments about beating the drug tests by drinking gallons of some crap that's just well....crap. Anybody with half a brain knows that's nonsense.

Archived