Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ricky Williams to Retire (merged)

semiskin

Originally posted by jimster

this can't be layed on Wandstat, but it sure isn't going to help - although it could buy him the owners sympathy for another year.

Just because Williams' decision to leave is out of Wanstedt's control doesn't mean that the ownership will really cut him any slack at the end of the year when they look at his record and try and figure out whether or not they want to retain him. I think that his return is already doubtful and if they don't make the playoffs, he will be canned, regardless of where the blame should go.

Originally posted by jimster

Betts and a 5th rounder for O-Gun. We let Sultan and John Simon battle it out for back-up.

..actually I'd rather keep Betts too.

Is Travis Minor any good?

Come on now try to be serious with our offers. From what I understand the Redskins are willing to part with the 05 1st round pick and the Dolphins said no. Since Betts is essentially worth a 7th rounder or less (Future considerations?) why would you think the Dolphins would be willing to go with your proposal? How about our 1st and Betts (although it's still dubious that the Dolphins would be the least bit interested in Betts at all).

I was half kidding, but Betts was a second rounder.

I wouldn't want to see us give up anything more than a 1st and maybe a conditional future low round pick.

I'd rather keep Betts.

Still, this doesn't give the Dolphins alot of choices

He should have made this decision earlier. The free agent market is pretty much dried up at this point. He's left the fins in a pretty bad position. I bet they would've paid Eddie George big money if they had known a few days ago...

This will be interesting to follow ... Buffalo may want to make a trade sending Travis Henry if Willis McGehee is healed.

Kansas City and Green Bay have some RB depth that they could trade. KC has Larry Johnson - former 1st round pick from Penn State. Rumor has it that he hasn't done much to impress Vermeil.

Originally posted by jrfriedm

I don't know what that boy was smoking when he maid that decsicsion, but I wan't some; becuse, it must be good.

Exactly. Now that he's retired, he's probably singing that Blue Oyster Cult song - Don't Fear The Reefer. :laugh:

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

The Dolphins now must make a trade using O-Gun.

They simply lack a viable running attack now to rely soley on the passing game. Ajay Feeley is still unproven and teams will just sit on Chris Chambers and not let him do much.

This also hurts the Phins D in that they no longer have Ricky to take 30 carries a game now.

They are going to deal O-Gun for some pick now. The Dolphins hand has just been forced

I cant waste any energy over this freak....It is so hard to understand this crap kind of like Barrry Sanders....Must be tough for Dolphins fans...whats next....their roster is devoid of any talent (Actually Zach Thomas..riiiiight). Reminds me of the pain we faced in 93-96 when we had no talent.

WOW, sorta reminds me of Robert Smith when he retired from the Viks, except this is bigger than that.

I feel sorry for all the chumps who picked rickey williams on their fantasy teams.

Damn, shaved his dreds for nothin.

Hey, how about them ing Ogunleye for a RB.

Betts+Pick for him?

I don't know, I'm just speculating now, and they would probibly want some one better than Betts.

I bet that is what they'll do though, trade Ogy for a good RB.

Originally posted by 70Chip

:cannibas: :bong: :high: :cloud9: :ciao: :wtf:

Dat boy crazy. This is a great example of the stupidity of big-time sports. Most guys his age need a job and stuff. Ricky apparently is going to go sit on the beach in Jamaica.

Ehhhhhh

ehhhhhhhhh

some people get wrapped up in professional sports too much. Its just a game. I applaud him and Robert Smith for finding some sort of degree or priority in their life. Guess what, after you're 35 in the NFL and a running back, if football is all you know, your life is over! Hope you saved some money idiot, because you're comming into the real world where no one cares what you used to do (except for the company that hired Heath Shuler :doh: . Anyways, I applaid Ricky, if this is what his heart TRULY wanted and he truly wanted another direction, he shouldn't be spurned by the media or the game. It's his life and only his life.

Originally posted by Hurst

Ehhhhhh

ehhhhhhhhh

some people get wrapped up in professional sports too much. Its just a game. I applaud him and Robert Smith for finding some sort of degree or priority in their life. Guess what, after you're 35 in the NFL and a running back, if football is all you know, your life is over! Hope you saved some money idiot, because you're comming into the real world where no one cares what you used to do (except for the company that hired Heath Shuler :doh: . Anyways, I applaid Ricky, if this is what his heart TRULY wanted and he truly wanted another direction, he shouldn't be spurned by the media or the game. It's his life and only his life.

Are you suggesting that he will make more money in the rest of his life then he would have if he played football until he was 35 and then retired? Thats ridiculous. He was going to make $3mill+ this year!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has a 10 signing bonus with the Saints, more when he signe with the Fins (can't remember how much). He doesn't need to woryy about money after he's 35. He should be set for life. I could live very happily for 60 years off 3 million dollars. I appluad Robert Smith for walking away, but not Ricky or Barry. They left there teams after the draft and after the FAs are signed. Just like everyone else, they have a certain amount of responsibilty to their employer. You don't just quit at the worst possible time without proper notice. I don't care what your job is.

Hurst what you say is true, except Williams has known this for some time(even if he was struggling with it.)

He owed it to his teammates and the fans, the ones he DOES care about(the kids and the 'innocent' fans who love him or care about what happens to him) to give them fair warning that he MIGHt retire.

As for the 'rest of us,' the fact is he would not even BE in the position to retire at age TWENTY-SEVEN(My age) were it not for the fact that people get too "wrapped up in professional sports."

Unlike if someone leaves McDonalds or even a mid-level office job or temp assignment, he was under contract for a lot longer than this year and at least owed them decent warning. He also has more of an obligation, moral and honor-bound, to do so as the people who go to the games paid for his ability to smoke dope and travel the world because of their loyalty and enthusiasm.

I have left a job where I was being disrespected and I was losing what little enjoyment I had from it. I left THAT NIGHT, but the fact is millions of people weren't tuning in to watch me and whatever I did after that job was not provided by their support and admiration.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7523844

Good excerpt, after respecting Smith for his decision, some of his comments have turned me off.

---------------------------------

Williams is friendly with Brown and he also was said to have had a recent conversation with Smith.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall to hear that one, two we're-smarter-than-the-rest-of-you-and-don't-need-this-mindless-game men trying to understand how so many other players put their lives into playing football.

Williams is also selfish. Making this kind of decision a week before the Dolphins were to open training camp makes anything Terrell Owens did seem trivial. This is a quitter, a guy who bailed on his teammates as they were readying to make a Super Bowl push. That's the ultimate insult.

Originally posted by Ghost of Bilbo Stabbins

He owed it to his teammates and the fans, the ones he DOES care about(the kids and the 'innocent' fans who love him or care about what happens to him) to give them fair warning that he MIGHt retire.

He doesn't owe anyone SH!T, yeah he has a contract, but owners cut players before their contracts are up, and no one makes a deal about it, this is the same thing. Should owners give everyone two weeks notice before cutting someone?

Ricky got sick of it, he should have the right to walk away, just because you got fans doesn't mean that you should do what ever they want.

Archived