Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Redskins may cut Canidate

Lavarleap56

Redskins may cut Canidate

By Mark Zuckerman

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The Washington Redskins are expected to release running back Trung Canidate and guard Dave Fiore along with linebacker Jeremiah Trotter once the NFL enters its post-June 1 period this afternoon.

NFL sources said the Redskins are strongly considering cutting Canidate, who led the team with 600 rushing yards last season, and Fiore, who started three games at left guard before missing the rest of the season with a knee injury.

If Washington releases all three players — Trotter's departure has been well known for months — the club will recoup a combined $4.715 million of salary cap space this year.

The cuts could come as soon as 4 p.m. today, when teams around the league release veteran players because their cap impact is lessened. Players don't have to be released immediately and can be let go any time after today.

Players cut before June 1 count far more against the cap than those cut after because their remaining signing bonus money can be spread out over two seasons instead of one.

None of the Redskins' three expected moves comes as a complete surprise.

Trotter was told not to attend offseason workouts and to seek a trade earlier this spring. Fiore has been slow to recover from last fall's knee surgery, and Canidate's days have been numbered since Washington acquired star tailback Clinton Portis in March.

The timing of Canidate's release, however, is a little unexpected. The 27-year-old is already in the final year of his contract, so a post-June 1 cut has no real cap ramifications. That fact led some to believe Washington would at least give Canidate, who has a $915,000 base salary this season, a chance to compete for a backup role in training camp.

But club sources said Redskins coach Joe Gibbs prefers third-year back Ladell Betts over Canidate as Portis' primary understudy and the coach wants to give Canidate ample time to sign with another club.

Canidate's brief tenure in Washington likely is over after one mostly forgettable season. Acquired from the St. Louis Rams for guard David Loverne and a fourth-round pick, the speedy tailback was touted as a perfect weapon for ex-coach Steve Spurrier's Fun 'n' Gun offense. It was believed he would make fans forget about star Stephen Davis, whom the Redskins released in 2003.

Canidate, a former first-round draft pick, never lived up to expectations. He appeared in just 11 games, scored one rushing touchdown and was frequently sidelined by a high ankle sprain. He still has not recovered fully from that injury and did not participate in full-squad drills at either of Washington's first two spring minicamps.

Fiore, 29, was another disappointing acquisition from a year ago. Signed away from San Francisco to a four-year, $6.33 million contract, he started the first three games of the season at left guard but soon began to feel pain in his surgically repaired right knee. Despite his best attempts to return to the field, Fiore never made it back and wound up losing his job to rookie Derrick Dockery.

Fiore spent the offseason rehabbing and hopes to be ready by training camp, but the recovery process has inched along. Last month offensive line coach Joe Bugel questioned whether the workhorse guard ever would make it back.

Fiore's post-June 1 release would save the Redskins $1.1 million against the cap, with only a prorated signing bonus charge of $375,000 on the books for 2004.

Trotter's release carries the largest cap savings — $2.7 million — of the three. Had the Redskins released the 27-year-old linebacker before June 1, the cap charge would have been almost $2 million more than it would be with Trotter on the roster.

Trotter leaves Washington just two years into the seven-year, $35.5 million contract he signed in 2002. The veteran linebacker also didn't live up to the size of his hefty free agent deal.

Trotter recorded 233 tackles in his two seasons with the Redskins, also notching 1½ sacks and two interceptions. He blew out his right knee in a Thanksgiving Day 2002 game at Dallas. Though he returned to start 16 games, he was never the same player.

Gibbs and his staff decided to overhaul Washington's linebacker corps. Fellow veteran Jessie Armstead was cut, and Marcus Washington and Mike Barrow were signed as free agents to replace Armstead and Trotter, respectively.

Trotter should receive the most interest of the three soon-to-be free agents, joining a thin group of fellow June 1 casualties. Among the biggest names expected to be cut beginning today are Rams quarterback Kurt Warner, Steelers linebacker Jason Gildon, Packers defensive end Joe Johnson and possibly Titans running back Eddie George.

The Redskins would appear to have cap space to sign a player or two, but they are not expected to pursue the available veterans.

Redskins may cut Canidate

By Mark Zuckerman

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20040601-124932-9493r.htm

The Washington Redskins are expected to release running back Trung Canidate and guard Dave Fiore along with linebacker Jeremiah Trotter once the NFL enters its post-June 1 period this afternoon.

NFL sources said the Redskins are strongly considering cutting Canidate, who led the team with 600 rushing yards last season, and Fiore, who started three games at left guard before missing the rest of the season with a knee injury. If Washington releases all three players — Trotter's departure has been well known for months — the club will recoup a combined $4.715 million of salary cap space this year.

The cuts could come as soon as 4 p.m. today, when teams around the league release veteran players because their cap impact is lessened. Players don't have to be released immediately and can be let go any time after today.

Players cut before June 1 count far more against the cap than those cut after because their remaining signing bonus money can be spread out over two seasons instead of one.

None of the Redskins' three expected moves comes as a complete surprise.

Trotter was told not to attend offseason workouts and to seek a trade earlier this spring. Fiore has been slow to recover from last fall's knee surgery, and Canidate's days have been numbered since Washington acquired star tailback Clinton Portis in March.

The timing of Canidate's release, however, is a little unexpected. The 27-year-old is already in the final year of his contract, so a post-June 1 cut has no real cap ramifications. That fact led some to believe Washington would at least give Canidate, who has a $915,000 base salary this season, a chance to compete for a backup role in training camp.

But club sources said Redskins coach Joe Gibbs prefers third-year back Ladell Betts over Canidate as Portis' primary understudy and the coach wants to give Canidate ample time to sign with another club.

Canidate's brief tenure in Washington likely is over after one mostly forgettable season. Acquired from the St. Louis Rams for guard David Loverne and a fourth-round pick, the speedy tailback was touted as a perfect weapon for ex-coach Steve Spurrier's Fun 'n' Gun offense. It was believed he would make fans forget about star Stephen Davis, whom the Redskins released in 2003.

Canidate, a former first-round draft pick, never lived up to expectations. He appeared in just 11 games, scored one rushing touchdown and was frequently sidelined by a high ankle sprain. He still has not recovered fully from that injury and did not participate in full-squad drills at either of Washington's first two spring minicamps.

Fiore, 29, was another disappointing acquisition from a year ago. Signed away from San Francisco to a four-year, $6.33 million contract, he started the first three games of the season at left guard but soon began to feel pain in his surgically repaired right knee. Despite his best attempts to return to the field, Fiore never made it back and wound up losing his job to rookie Derrick Dockery.

Fiore spent the offseason rehabbing and hopes to be ready by training camp, but the recovery process has inched along. Last month offensive line coach Joe Bugel questioned whether the workhorse guard ever would make it back.

Fiore's post-June 1 release would save the Redskins $1.1 million against the cap, with only a prorated signing bonus charge of $375,000 on the books for 2004.

Trotter's release carries the largest cap savings — $2.7 million — of the three. Had the Redskins released the 27-year-old linebacker before June 1, the cap charge would have been almost $2 million more than it would be with Trotter on the roster.

Trotter leaves Washington just two years into the seven-year, $35.5 million contract he signed in 2002. The veteran linebacker also didn't live up to the size of his hefty free agent deal.

Trotter recorded 233 tackles in his two seasons with the Redskins, also notching 1½ sacks and two interceptions. He blew out his right knee in a Thanksgiving Day 2002 game at Dallas. Though he returned to start 16 games, he was never the same player.

Gibbs and his staff decided to overhaul Washington's linebacker corps. Fellow veteran Jessie Armstead was cut, and Marcus Washington and Mike Barrow were signed as free agents to replace Armstead and Trotter, respectively.

Trotter should receive the most interest of the three soon-to-be free agents, joining a thin group of fellow June 1 casualties. Among the biggest names expected to be cut beginning today are Rams quarterback Kurt Warner, Steelers linebacker Jason Gildon, Packers defensive end Joe Johnson and possibly Titans running back Eddie George.

The Redskins would appear to have cap space to sign a player or two, but they are not expected to pursue the available veterans.

I see Nunyo's been asleep at his Post again. How bad do you have to be in order to be scooped by the Times? The friggin Washington Times! Man, I miss Maske covering the Skins for the Post.

:kickcan:

Fiore is a regretable release but since his knee never healed corretly, its a good move.

Trotter just didnt fit into Gibbs'/Williams' vision for the D, so thats a good move plus adding more cap space.

I dont like the posibility of Canidate being cut. Depth at RB isnt a bad thing. Trung has a chance to be the #2 guy here behind Portis.

For those people who'd like to cut Trung and replace him with Morton, Morton doesnt have the size or the strength to play RB at this level. Canidate does.

Originally posted by Oldskool

Fiore is a regretable release but since his knee never healed corretly, its a good move.

Trotter just didnt fit into Gibbs'/Williams' vision for the D, so thats a good move plus adding more cap space.

I dont like the posibility of Canidate being cut. Depth at RB isnt a bad thing. Trung has a chance to be the #2 guy here behind Portis.

For those people who'd like to cut Trung and replace him with Morton, Morton doesnt have the size or the strength to play RB at this level. Canidate does.

I'm not sure Trung has the strength to play RB at this level either... :D

Candidate has never lived up to his potential, however not having an adequate offensive line last year can contribute to that factor.

I believe it is great that we get him off our hands and bring out the rest of the depth at our running back position. He is injury prone and small as well. Chad Morton is a great flanker, he can play punt/kick returner and can come in as a recieving back.

The only real question we are left with is if our running backs can stay injury free and if our offensive line can do their jobs. All of our running backs were injury prone except Rock.

BTW: I hung out with Chris Samuels this past weekend and he looks a LOT more cut. He is really in shape now and we spoke about his season coming up and he told me that he will have a great year. He was really really dissapointed with last year and he said that he will do whatever he has to in order to become the same player he was a few years ago. I also hung out with Brandon Winey and Kenyatta Jones the previous week and they looked HUGE. These players are busting their asses and lets just pray for them that their hard work pays off for our team.

Hail Skins:logo:

I'd love to keep Canidate as depth as well. Last year no one looked that good and when he was in St Loius with a better O-line and better system he was MUCH better. However with Betts and probably Rock and Morton - we've got our RB's. Sultan and John Simon probably will battle it out for a practice squad spot...and could get taken.

Why would we have waited until June 1st to cut Canidate if we were going to cut him? We traded for him. He has no signing bonus prorated against the cap. They could have cut him weeks ago and it wouldn't have cost us any more against the cap.

Somehow, I'm doubting this will actually happen.

So what's the benefit for the 'Skins in cutting Trung now? I understand what he gets out of it (enough time to catch on with another team), but I fail to see how it helps us. Unless we're trying to clear immediate space to sign one of the other 6/1 casualties. But from all indications, we're not interested in going that route.

Maybe it's just another great example of Gibbs trying to do right by a guy, regardless of whether it benefits the team in any way. That stuff goes a long way in the locker room.

So what's H-hour? 4pm? Guess we'll see when we see...

Originally posted by McMetal

So what's the benefit for the 'Skins in cutting Trung now?

I think it's more just to be fair to him and cut him now so that he gets plenty of time to shop around and find teams interested in him. There's no need to let him linger if the team doesn't have him in their plans, especially when he doesn't take up much cap space.

Nick

Can't say these moves were really unexpected. I think many of us thought Trung was the odd man out the whole time. Maybe Gibbs and Co let him go this early to concentrate on developing the RB's we have and didn't want to waste any more practice reps with a guy they had no real inention of keeping.

Originally posted by illone

trung = 1 good game in his whole career, and with another team.... i see Betts as having more potential, and I'm guessing gibbs sees the same.

Thank You. Well Actually 2. I think he had a 100yd gm here with the Skins and like 1 with the Rams. I said when the Skins got him why? When he was just literally penciled in as the starter I laughed. All people kept saying was man if he hits that second level man he's gone. Well what about his intermediate runs? Everything isn't gonna be a home run. It just happened that Betts got hurt and Watson was cut but they were already saying Trung was the started. I was like did I miss something? People shouldn't mix up the Rams success as a team, and tranfer that to Trungs' ability as a player. I think he's soft and just isn't that good to me at all. I want to hear about players being good football players and if they have the attributes that come along with like being fast, big strong etc. so be it. Hell there are players built like Tarzan and play like jane.

Archived