Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOX: June 1 is one hot date

bubba9497

June 1 is one hot date

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2408130

There are three dates an NFL general manager holds sacred — his anniversary, his kid's birthday and June 1, when the market is flooded with veteran players deemed too expensive by their former clubs. Before June 1, the hit for unpaid bonus money applies to that year's salary cap; after June 1, it doesn't bite you until the following year.

As always, the list of June 1 casualties will be unpredictable. Some players will be traded before then. Others could be retained. But it's still possible to make a good guess at who will be available after Memorial Day.

1. Jeremiah Trotter, LB, Washington. The Redskins' open-wallet approach to free agents leaves no cap room for Trotter, one of the game's beefiest (262 pounds) — and best — middle linebackers. At 27, he still has plenty of tread on the radials. It's possible he will return to Philadelphia; other interested parties include Seattle and Houston.

2. Jason Gildon, LB, Pittsburgh. As the Steelers' defense has tilted toward Joey Porter, Gildon has become expendable. He'll be 32 in July and has lost a considerable amount of speed, but Pittsburgh's all-time sack leader still should draw some attention.

3. Eddie George, RB, Tennessee. It's hard to envision the Titans without George, their plow horse for eight seasons, but he might be gone if he refuses to renegotiate his contract.

4. Kurt Warner, QB, St. Louis. The most talked-about in-limbo veteran of 2004, Warner met with the Giants on May 11. His agent says six teams have expressed interest. But after being waylaid by concussions and arm injuries the past two seasons, Warner, who'll turn 33 in June, probably will be a backup.

5. Larry Allen, G, Dallas. One of the best guards ever, Allen fell out of shape and out of favor with coach Bill Parcells last year. If he finds some passion, he could be a great addition for a team that needs muscle up front.

well, I know we dont need Trotter now, we have someone who can at least play real solid in Barrow, I think he will be a good pickup though for some team, probably a real steal Im guessing.

Any other high prospects we may go after, I know Gibbs said hes pretty much done but im waiting for that surprise cheap d-lineman.

Originally posted by Hobo

I think he will be a good pickup though for some team, probably a real steal Im guessing.

I agree. I think Trotter will be a good pickup and will have a decent season. He's been working very hard in the off-season and he'll want to prove alot of people wrong. Whether his body will hold up and allow him to is another question.

Something very similar to what this article attempts to do will be done in 2006 if we've lost a couple of years and try to retool. The article says Trotter is a cap move. Nothing could be further from the truth since we were prepared to take a cap hit to move him. Trotter was disinvited from camp for reasons entirely other than cap space.

Yet, to validate views stated for years, the media will ignore the reality of the situation and simply assign moves like this as cap moves. In two years if we're winning, we'll keep every guy we want and keep on going. If we're losing, we may shed some guys to retool. That will be called a series of cap moves and the media will trumpet how it finally got the cap hell for Washington correct.

LOL,, the"open wallet approach" leaves no room for Trotter.

How about the "Open Hole in the Middle of the Field" approach he brought to his position that makes him expendable?

Do these guys even watch the games?

~Bang

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Something the media excels at. " I told you so". Even if they really didn't.

This article in particular is rather worthless.

I keep waiting for something cutting edge to be written about potential cap related releases, but you basically can count on misinformed crap like this.

Sometimes, these writers really amaze me that they even have jobs.

Phil, the guy at the water cooler, could rattle off Trotter, Gildon, George, Warner and Allen.

And even appear as intelligent.

First of all, I doubt George and especially Allen would be exposed like that. Clearly, the guy has done zero research and is pulling names off the top of his head. George has very serious ties to the Titans and would probably accept a paycut with no problem...there is no acrimony there. As for Allen, Dallas would really not benefit in the least from releasing him...the cap number would not be a benefit, and plus, he is better than who might be able to replace him...even if he has a bad attitude and plays like he has one working leg sometimes.

Trotter made some big mistakes toward the end of last season. Too bad he's not working out. I remember being very excited when we got him. I would have loved to have been a "fly on the wall" when Gibbs told him to seek a trade.

I still wonder, however, why we let Armstead get away. He seemed solid to me and even saved our butts one game with a very key, late sack last year. Any one know why he became a non-priority-signing and was left to market?

Originally posted by Art

Something very similar to what this article attempts to do will be done in 2006 if we've lost a couple of years and try to retool. The article says Trotter is a cap move. Nothing could be further from the truth since we were prepared to take a cap hit to move him. Trotter was disinvited from camp for reasons entirely other than cap space.

Yet, to validate views stated for years, the media will ignore the reality of the situation and simply assign moves like this as cap moves. In two years if we're winning, we'll keep every guy we want and keep on going. If we're losing, we may shed some guys to retool. That will be called a series of cap moves and the media will trumpet how it finally got the cap hell for Washington correct.

Yeah stupid stupid media. To call cuts made after a very specific date that allows you to push future year's signing bonus proration into the next cap year cap cuts. I mean waiting until that date couldn't possibly have anything to do with the cap. I think they just don't want to spoil their player's holiday weekends with the bad news so they wait until 6/2 to tell them they've been cut.

Sure some of those idiot media types might point out that some teams[like the Skins] couldn't cut their players[like Trotter] before 6/1 because they don't have the cap space to do it. Of course those guys weren't in the room with Snyder Gibbs and Art when Trotter's fate was decided long ago and don't know like Snyder Gibbs and Art do that Trotter's huge cap hits during the rest of his contract had nothing to do with his ouster.

BTW Art....I told you once...beware of the 06 roster bonuses...players had them put into their contracts specifically so that teams couldn't Trotterize them and wait until 6/1 to cut them and forward the bulk of their dead player hit into the next cap year.

Originally posted by Pocono

Of course those guys weren't in the room with Snyder Gibbs and Art when Trotter's fate was decided long ago and don't know like Snyder Gibbs and Art do that Trotter's huge cap hits during the rest of his contract had nothing to do with his ouster.

Ok, fair enough....

BTW Art....I told you once...beware of the 06 roster bonuses...players had them put into their contracts specifically so that teams couldn't Trotterize them and wait until 6/1 to cut them and forward the bulk of their dead player hit into the next cap year.

Are we to believe that you were part of every contract negotiation and have specific information regarding their motives?

Originally posted by Chachie

I still wonder, however, why we let Armstead get away. He seemed solid to me and even saved our butts one game with a very key, late sack last year. Any one know why he became a non-priority-signing and was left to market?

Too slow for Williams, too old for Gibbs, and his departure allows Williams to move Arrington to the weak side to take advantage of his pass rushing ability. Armstead did play well but Williams stresses speed and they obviously had their eye on Washington so that Arrington could be moved to Armstead's position. Many believe Washington is on the verge of putting it all together for a Pro Bowl year. We'll see......

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Why didn't I think of that? Trotter to Seattle! Godfrey gone and the linebacker they drafted is converting to safety, oh the obvious smack right in the front of my skull! Why didn't i see it? BRILLIANT!!!

:D

As for the salary cap, we'll have a super bowl trophy or two by the time 2006 rolls around so they can just shove it for all I care. :)

Originally posted by laurent

Ok, fair enough....

Are we to believe that you were part of every contract negotiation and have specific information regarding their motives?

Good point. I should have said beware the 06 roster bonuses. Because of their existence teams can't wait until 6/1 to Trotterize a player and shift most of the cap hit to the following year because the bonus is due before that date.

Archived