Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who was your last sports hero?

3DaysLatr

Guest Matt Kyriacou

Football - Darrell Green, Art Monk, and now Pat Tillman

Baseball - George Brett......he always made me feel as though he would have played just as hard if he were not getting paid.

Basketball - Len Bias.....unfortunately a fallen hero, Juan Dixon.....I knew the first time I saw him play as a freshman that he was special

Originally posted by 3DaysLatr

Just wanting to find out a little about who I am here posting with.

When did your last sports hero retire, and how did that change your perspective on sports?"

Interesting idea. However the two questions don't go well together. Very few of our sports heros' retirement will change our perspective of sports and most of the responses do not consider your entire question - "... how did that change your perspective on sports?"

The last person to retire that was a "sports hero" of mine and changed my perspective was Larry Brown - he had to leave too soon because of the pounding he took. That was the point I realized the sport could and would destroy careers for the point of winning.

There are several other people whose retirement made them a hero to me and changed my perspective. Here they are:

Pat Tillman - Nuff said. That has got to change your perspective about sports.

Jim Brown and Barry Sanders - Records be d@mned - talk about leaving on top.

Guest J Dawg
Originally posted by brandies

Steve Spurior

:laugh:

Thats funny;

Darrel Geeen - He was awesome

:dallasuck

Joe Gibbs.

Most people play video games and imagine themselves playing the game and pad the stats of that particular player. Myself, I enjoyed the aspect of coaching... and putting the players in a position to win.

When I was a young kid growing up... after the completion of every video game in any sport... I would interview myself and answer my own questions to myself as coach of the "team".

There's just something about watching a coach on the sidelines pacing up and down with anxiety... planning a plan of attach or counter attack like a game of chess.

I truly enjoy watching the great coaches... even guys like Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnson. Pure respect. I love watching guys like Jeff Fisher and Bill Cowher every Sunday getting heated and putting their hearts on their sleeves... but never "losing" control.

Without Joe Gibbs... there probably wouldn't be ExtremeSkins.com and I wouldn't be devoting so much of my free time developing a Redskins website.

If there was EVER the prototypical coach I could emulate in every sense of the word.... it would be Joe Gibbs. I like the way he approaches his profession, his devotion, his passion, his commitment, his confidence, his humility and how he treats people and situations.

He's just the complete package. And I pray one day before he retires for good I could work with the man and some of him will rub off on me.

Football, even sports in general, needs more coaches like Joe Gibbs.

Art Monk. I always respected his quiet confidence and work ethic. He was the guy who got things done, and never sought attention..ie cell phones, sharpies. I'm wondering if this has any thing to do with why he isnt in the hall. I hated that he spent his last few years with the Jets, but was happy that he retired a 'Skin. He's the example by which all Redskin receivers should be measured. Cheers.

Football: John Riggins- To me,he personified the Redskins as far as giving it your all in the game. When he retired, for a while I felt lost when it came to watching my beloved Redskins.

Basketball: Larry Bird- He played the game of basketball the way it was meant to be played. He could dominate a game individually but loved to play the game the best by getting everyone on the team involved and made a concerted effort to do just that. They say he was slow and couldn't jump and that he'd never be able to get his shot off in the NBA. Just shows how the media pundits don't know everything and that hard work can get you places you think are unreachable.

Baseball: Cal Ripken Jr.- Bang's post hit the nail on the head. Plus he showed you could be a high paid athlete and show up for work everyday. ;)

Funbuncher,

I agree with you on Dale Murphy, I was started playing baseball and collecting cards in the early 80's, living in south GA. when he was winning MVP's. Everytime we would play sandlot I would say "I'm Dale Murphy, I'm Dale Murphy" and if some one would beat me to him I would pout like no ones buisness. Today I've never followed any one person as much as I have Dale Murphy.

Originally posted by stackman

Ayrton Senna who was killed 10yrs ago in the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix in the Tamburello corner at Imola Italy. One of the greatest drivers to ever live!

Lance Armstrong

I remember the day like it was yesterday. I still can't believe they stayed live throughout the entire incident. When I saw the marshalls bring out a body bag, I lost it. Mywife had to leave the room she was so upset.

Very sad day I relive every year when they take the grid

Darrell Green is always in my heart as a Great Redskin, if not the greatest ever.

I just didn't feel the same however,when he retired, like when Larry Brown, Theismann and Riggins left. That left a hole for a time, but for Joey T and Riggo, Gibbs kept things going, so I couldn't possibly mourn too long, when they left. :D

Those three guys really stung. Green, Mitchell and Jurgenson were a close second.

That would have to be Dale Earnhardt. I wasn't into F1 when Senna died, but now I understand the impact the death of a champion can make. Big E was everything I wanted to be, tough, stoic, and intimidating. But, only in death were his contributions to his community truly known.

While I Loved Bjorn Borg and Pelé growing up, and I cheered like mad for Johann Cruyff and the Dips at RFK, Muhammed Ali was the only athlete/person that I ever wanted to be growing up. I still get chills when I watch some of his old press conferences...and I was moved beyond words at the 96 Olympics in Atlanta when he came out to light the torch. I do love my Skins, but Ali was the man.

Archived