Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who was your last sports hero?

3DaysLatr

Just wanting to find out a little about who I am here posting with.

When did your last sports hero retire, and how did that change your perspective on sports?"

Mine was Darrell Green, he was special and outlasted all the others by a long shot due to his extended playing career. Since Darrell retired I have sort of realized that these guys are pretty much like anyone else but they are bigger, faster and most should be real happy because they get to do what they love for a living (that's like being on vacation everyday).

Who's yours?

Mine was Green and SD Padres Rightfielder Tony Gwynn. Both of those guys were hard workers and I feel that they worked for everything they accomplished and expected nothing to be handed to them. To me, that is what measures a true athlete.

I'll be honest---Darrell was always up there, but I had loved Michael Jordan since he came into the league.

I screamed like a little girl and injured my back(minor pain) jumping up and down when he hit that shot agains Utah in 1998. I THOUGHT that was the last play of the greatest player I had ever seen, and probably the most charismatic, clutch and dominating sports personality of our lifetime.

I don't consider his last comeback a black mark on his record, not in terms of performance. But I don't like his effect on the team, though I think some of the guys were ninnies and that's why they're still losers.

Darrell by far is my # 1 sports hero overall. Didn't change the way I vew the team or the sport when he retired. Being Darrell is only about a year older then me, I didn't have him for an idle as a kid growing. Hanburger,and Ray Nitchski (sp) were my two idles when I was a kid.

I had ol number 7, the big Mick in the Bronx for baseball, and I have always been a huge Andretti fan, father and son.

I don't know that this was necessarily a hero of mine, but as a parent in the DC/Balt. area, Cal Ripken was an athlete I always tried to use as an example for my kids.

He was humble, quiet, and never put himself above the team. He didn't come off as if he was something special, and he always made it out to be that if you worked hard and stayed focused, you could succeed just like he did.

There's a ton of other reasons why he is respectable, but in terms of 'heros', what i think is most important is the example they set. And I think Cal has set an excellent example for the kids in our area for a long time.

~Bang

Originally posted by Streater101

Bo Jackson

Me too. I had the pleasure of meeting him about two months ago at a fundraiser. He was nothing but nice, and signed a football for me. I don't think there is anything better then when a childhood idol is nice to you in person.

football - D. Green

baseball- C.Ripken

basketball - M Jorden

hockey- W . Gretski

i couldn't pick just one ,these athlete's will never be matched by another for professionalism and sportmanship IMO :cheers:

:ravensuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck :dallasuck

Archived