Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I quit...Smoking (edited title)

Woofer

Originally posted by SkinsFaninNC

Quitting smoking is easy! Doing Radiation treatments and taking Chemotherapy for a year and dying anyway is Hard. Quitting smoking is easy.

:point2sky

What is above it the truth. Eveyone knows smoking causes Cancer. Smokers know but it seems they don't care, at least the ones I know. How much did you smoke?? 1 pack a day or a little more, maybe 2 packs?? Anyway, the way I look at it, you are saving $150 to $300 a month. It doesn't seem like much, but you will be amazed at how far that money might go. Now, if I could only convince my wife of that fact!!!!!

Originally posted by buzzlightbeer81

so do u ever actually forget about smoking or do u have smoking in the back of ur mind the rest of ur life??

I can only answer for myself but Ill give it a try:

I was never “addicted” to smoking, just enjoyed it a bit too much. I smoked for 10 years and quit cold turkey. There are still times where you’ll get a whiff of smoke and it kicks in the desire/urge/craving to smoke again. Doesn’t matter how long its been since the last time you smoke.

If youre able to, ive found that smoking a good cigar on a rare occasion will kill any nicotine urge that I may have.

I have a friend who unfortunately is an Eagles fan, but anyhow, his wife was expecting their first child and he went to a hypnotist and has been smoke free since leaving his office. He's been smoke free for almost 5 years now. I guess it's a matter of will power and not wanting it.

Originally posted by Woofer Magoo

smoking.

I have been smoke free for exactly 7 days.

It’s the best move you can make for your health. The life span of and average man that participates in little exercise and drinks beer periodically is about 56 to 58 years old. So to give up the cigs is a great accomplishment Way to young to check out…………….

I too am now smoke free for about a year and a half now. I only experience cravings rarely and the're mostly mild. I used the patch and it worked well for me, though just as a I guess warning be aware if you sleep with the patch on you stand a good chance of having some rather vivid dreams. I think that the most important think is that you are REALLY ready to quit. If you do it for any other reason then really wanting to quit it won't work. Best of luck! It can be done. Keep us informed.

Go for it man, you will not regret it. I started smoking when I was 16, and just quit this past year. It has been about 6 months with no smokes.

I feel a million times better for it. After the first week it is not that bad, stay strong.

How much does it cost to get hypnotised.

Not to sound like a douche, but with all the horror stories, bad things that I know that can happen to me and $, I still have such a strong desire to smoke.

I quit for two weeks. I never went out and was not playing with my band those weeks. Once I started going out again and playing out, I was back to smoking heavily again.

I've at least gone from Reds (smoked 'em since grade school :doh: ) to ultralights. Not better for you, but somewhat encouraging for me....

So far so good, but the second week has actually been worse in some ways than the first week.

Partly due to the fact that my addiction has developed a voice and is talking to me. It says things like,

"You can handle one smoke, go ahead, you deserve it."

"You can have just one. And then back to the quit."

"Spend $4 on a pack, just smoke one, and throw the rest away. That will teach you a lesson!"

So far so good, but the second week has actually be worse in some ways than the second.

Partly due to the fact that my addiction has developed a voice and is talking to me. It says things like,

"You can handle one smoke, go ahead, you deserve it."

"You can have just one. And then back to the quit."

"Spend $4 on a pack, just smoke one, and throw the rest away. That will teach you a lesson!"

:laugh:, addiction has a big voice when it's not happy. Not feeding it is the only way to kill it.

Let yourself know that you will reconsider having a smoke tomorrow when you wake up. If quitting is still important to you tomorrow, don't smoke tomorrow and keep an open mind for the day after. You only have to be responsible for today and you've gone 2 weeks, you can go until tomorrow morning no problem.

Letting myself smoke tomorrow is how I've stayed off of them today.

Originally posted by webnarc

:laugh:, addiction has a big voice when it's not happy. Not feeding it is the only way to kill it.

Let yourself know that you will reconsider having a smoke tomorrow when you wake up. If quitting is still important to you tomorrow, don't smoke tomorrow and keep an open mind for the day after. You only have to be responsible for today and you've gone 2 weeks, you can go until tomorrow morning no problem.

Letting myself smoke tomorrow is how I've stayed off of them today.

That is a good thought. I'll remember that.

• 3 weeks later...

Tomorrow is my 30 day anniversary for being smoke free.

My addiction no longer talks to me. There are plenty of times I would still like to have a smoke, but resistance is not futile.

If any smokers out there would like a "friend" who understands while they quit smoking, just let me know.

I had the support of some former smokers at work, and that really helps.

After more than 25 years of having cigs as my constant companion, I do miss them. But they were not my friend, any more than a person who convinces you to commit a crime is a friend.

Smoking is a crime against yourself.

2yrs in June.

The Gum works great if you use it ... the orange is much better than the horrible original.

Remember if you can get through the 6 minutes of "WANT" you can go on for another hour before its back... then its just another 6 minutes till freedom....

Smoking is a crime against yourself.

I love that!!! Keeping that in mind will help you reach the 30 year anniversey for being smoke free.

You've finished the hardest month, your first month. From here it will be slightly easier. But you're not likely to notice until it dawns on you one day that you haven't thought about smoking in a while. It could a month, a year or longer, but one day you will be able to say that you are no longer an X smoker, you are a non-smoker. And really, you don't have to do anything to get to that point, just the same thing you've been doing for the last month.

Good for you and for all the quitters out there!!

Originally posted by Ravens777

They make a pill for everything else why not make one to make you stop smoking. Think of the money to be made on that one.

They do. It's called Zyban. Actually, Zyban is the same drug as Wellbutrin. It can have some dangerous side effects though.

woofer ,

congratulations , 30 days thats great !!!!

i quit may 15th of this year , cold turkey , still get those cravings but i keep telling myself that my three kids are more important . there is so much i want to be able to do for them . this is the most important thing i can do for me !! making sure i am here when they need me.

i will keep checking back on this post to see how you are doing and to let you know my status as well . :cheers:

:jump:

Woofer Magoo, congrats on your ongoing will power to stay smoke-free.

I quit smoking almost 11 years ago now. August 22, 1993, after being hit by a van while crossing a street. Broke some ribs, etc. and it hurt to breathe, much less smoke! I am so glad I did - it's paid dividends (and added dividends to my figure too, more's the pity - but hey I'd rather carry around 10+ extra pounds of fat than 10+ extra pounds of tumors anyday). I never was a true addict - I started smoking at 9 years old (yeah you read that right) and went on and off for years, going for long stretches without cravings. I don't miss it. Not one bit.

Just wait until your taste buds regenerate - then you'll really start to appreciate what you were missing out on while 'feeding' the habit. :mmm: Be careful to watch your diet - many people substitute the oral habit from cigs to food. :)

Archived