Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

04' QB Decision

JoeSkins

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

I really think Hasselback will be out just because he is not the "Gibbs type of QB." Weak arm and is better suited for a WCO

Originally posted by LaVar 56 Leap

Can we place Gibran on the practice squad?

The practice squad is still part of the 53 man roster. They just don't suit up on Sundays, I thought.

Key words...I thought. I get a feeling there is a good chance I'm wrong.

The practice squad is independent of the 53 man squad, and I believe you can have 10 guys on it. The only way a team can sign a player off of your practice squad is if they add them to their 53 man roster. I say we just put Hamden on the practice squad, and put Hasselbeck in as the 3rd QB. We can put anyone in the third spot actually. If we are ever in a position where we need to play our 3rd QB, we are in deep trouble anyway...

Why wasn't Brunell up there? That's instant salary cap space. Ahh well.

It is a tough choice, but I think Gibbs retains Hamden on the practice squad.

Second, I would be willing to argue that Gibbs does not have a "type" of quaterback. He can win with any quaterback.

Well, if you look at Gibbs history of QBs, he tends to like players with big arms, even as backups or developmental players. Youngsters like Jay Schroeder, Mark Rypien, Stan Humphries, and even Cary Conklin all had that in common.

Hamden was a baseball player and never really concentrated on football until his senior season at Indiana. Actually, Hamden actually seems like the classic Beathard/Gibbs developmental choice. He's smart and has a big arm. He needs some seasoning, but definately has some potential.

Where the slant pattern is a staple of the West Coast Offense, Gibbs prefers out patterns for quick passes. I'm not sure Hasslebeck has the arm to drive those passes consistantly.

I think with both Brunnell and Ramsey on board, you can afford to take a long shot on Hamdan panning out to be a solid guy.

I'd like to get some feedback on how he did in NFL Europe.

Another factor - will Tom Tupa get any work as an emergency guy? He's got more NFL starts at QB than Hassleback and Hamdan combined!

Originally posted by Dan T.

Tom Tupa. Save a roster spot by taking advantage of your punter also being a QB.

haha, too bad Sammy Baugh isnt playing anymore.

Id see how Hamdan does in NFL Euro. Hasselbeck is a good backup, but considering our situation of 2 starters, we can afford putting an unproven guy in like Hamdan.

Archived