Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wired: Sell Lab-Grown Meat in Alabama and You Could Go to Jail

Alabama has become the second US state to ban the sale of cultivated meat. The bill, signed into law by Governor Kay Ivey on May 7, will make it illegal for anyone to manufacture, sell, or distribute cultivated meat in Alabama. Anyone found guilty of violating the law will have committed a class C misdemeanor, which in Alabama carries the possibility of up to a three-month jail sentence and a fine of $500.

Earlier this May, Florida governor Ron DeSantis signed a similar bill banning cultivated meat in his state. US senator John Fetterman posted his support of the Florida bill on X, writing that “as some dude who would never serve that slop to my kids, I stand with our American ranchers and farmers.”

These two bans mean that approximately 28 million Americans now live in states that have banned cultivated meat—meat that comes from real animal cells grown by bioreactors instead of requiring the slaughter of animals. Only two companies have approval to sell cultivated meat in the US, and it is not currently on sale in any restaurants.

The Alabama bill was proposed by Senator Jack Williams, vice chair of the Senate Agriculture, Conservation, and Forestry Committee. The bill had a smooth passage through the state legislature, passing the Alabama House with 85 votes for and 14 against, and the Senate with 32 votes for and none against. The law will come into effect from October 2024.

Cultivated meat companies have argued strongly against the bans, saying that it should not be up to state governments to decide what people can eat, and that the bans will stifle a technology that could offer a way to produce meat with lower environmental impact and less animal cruelty. The Alabama bill includes a carve-out that allows higher education institutes and government departments to conduct research into cultivated meat.

“This legislation has always been about one thing—helping one industry, ‘Big Ag,’ avoid accountability and competition,” wrote Carrie Kabat at Eat Just, one of the two US companies cleared to sell cultivated meat, in an emailed statement about the Florida ban. “Today, these multinational corporations and their lobbyists won. China will also be celebrating, as they are closer to overcoming our nation’s lead in this emerging sector.”

The other US company approved to sell cultivated meat is Upside Foods. “Legislation that bans cultivated meat is a reckless move that ignores food safety experts and science, stifles consumer choice, and hinders American innovation. It makes politicians the food police, and it ignores the food safety experts at USDA and FDA who have deemed it safe,” says Upside Foods’ chief legal officer Sean Edgett.

In Alabama, the bill was supported by a group called Freedom Health Alabama, an organization that has previously campaigned against vaccine mandates and masking. One of the organization’s directors, Stephanie Durnin, spoke in favor of the bill in front of the Alabama House Health Committee. On the group’s website, it refers to cultivated meat as “franken-meat” and encourages Alabamans to support the bill.

https://www.wired.com/story/lab-grown-fake-meat-ban-alabama-florida/?utm_social-type=owned&mbid=social_twitter

Breaking Bad but it's for lab grown meat now

• Thumb down 2

I’m not too concerned by this. A few red states, or even all the red states, isn’t enough to halt research and development. If they can create a product that competitive and at a competitive price, things will change. And they might even be helped along by the political left that wants to raise prices on meat, to force people to eat less of it, if they can manage to be excluded from these sin taxes.  

this is just democracy doing its thing as it’s influenced by various groups. 

• Like 3

Pardon my ignorance, but how much of a fast food hamburger or chicken nugget is real animal meat? What percentage of meat is left after all of the processing? Honestly, how much of a difference is there between lab-grown and McDonald's chicken nugget paste?

Tldr how much of a hot dog is still dog?

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Not really concerned about what happens in Alabama outside of college football. 

I will withhold judgement on lab-grown meat until I've had a chance to try it.  As I said in another thread, if a lab can produce a close facsimile of Kobe/Wagyu beef for a fraction of the cost (it's currently $160/lb at my local Wegmans), then I'll be all over it. 

I also agree with the sentiment that a lot of what we eat is probably less similar to real "meat" then we probably want to think about, fast food chicken nuggets being a prime example.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Can you even buy manufactured meat yet?

We know based on this thread:

that it has been approved for sale.

A quick search shows that they had a tasting in DC:

GOOD Meat launched at China Chilcano by José Andrés in Washington D.C. The first diners enjoyed a Peruvian-inspired dish of cultivated chicken marinated with anticucho sauce and served with native potatoes and ají amarillo chimichurri.

and they were also seriving it at a restaurant in San Francisco.  

But apparently the two approved producers of synthetic meat, Good Meat and Upside Foods, are both having issues and you can't currently get their products anywhere:

You Can’t Buy Lab-Grown Meat Even If You Wanted To

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Because capitalism is woke.

raf750x1000075tblack_lightweight_raglan_sweatshirt.jpg.57e46884f4ed1e374a0e439d5d817aae.jpg

Weighing their other options, no wonder they throwing a perpetual temper tantrum about it...

Edited by Renegade7
  • Haha 4

If lab-grown meat were decent tasting, environmentally friendly and inexpensive, I'd be all over it. 

Doesn't sound much different than something like farming mushrooms when you think about it. 

• Thumb up 1