Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who would have been your "real-time" draft picks?

The Rook

So, who would you have picked at the slots the Commanders eventually selected.  Did you keep a list? 

This is not an evaluation of their draft, just who you would have selected at each one of those picks.  Can't make or undo trades.  Can only select players available at that slot. (For example, can’t take Newton past pick #36)

Here is the list I kept during the draft:

#2 Drake Maye – just my preference by a little

#36 Cooper DeJean – also liked Kool-Aid and Newton (in fact I selected him at #21 for Miami in our mock draft) 

#50 Patrick Paul – wasn’t happy of Paul at 40, but 50 I’m ok with.  I spent so much time evaluating Oline – I was going to spend some assets on it.

#53 Blake Fisher – more Oline

#67 Bralen Trice – happy to pick him up here.  (Note: if Coleman ends up at guard, I would have preferred Beebe, but I’m not judging)

#100 Ja’Tavion Sanders – seems like good value here

#139 Ainias Smith – liked him slightly better than Anthony Gould, but I wanted to draft a WR with return skills

#161 Javon Solomon (really liked Christian Jones and Trevor Keegan at this slot also)

#222 Brendan Rice – I think he may be a steal at #222

:229:The Rook

• Like 4

Tough because one pick influences the next at times so once you are off sequence it tends to stay off sequence

2 - Maye -- but loved Daniels too, i wasn't one of those here who thought it would be insane not to take Maye and take Daniels instead

36  - McKinstry.  But I admit I didn't think they'd go for another DT, if I knew that, Newton would make more sense, so love the pick

50 -  Patrick Paul.  Sainristill has been one of my fav players for months so was jazzed about this pick

53 -  Blake Fisher -- wanted to double on the O line.  But Sinnott also one of my fav players in the draft, he was on my guys list.  #2 TE for me in this draft.

67 -  Bralen Trice.  Coleman i didn't get that deep in my watchings so I don't have a strong take on him.  But noticed his measurables-athleticism was off the charts during the process. 

100 - Jared Wiley.  One of my favorite players in the process. McCaffrey is intriguing but I'd be lying if I said i had him this high in the draft. 

139 - Austin Booker.  I didn't know Magee. didn't really watch the LBs much.

161 - Javon Solomon.  One of my fav mid rounders in this draft.  Ironically though I was very familiar Hampton, took him in the board's draft.  I dig the pick but would have gone Solomon

222 - If i did what they with no pass rushers leading up to this, Jean-Baptiste would have been guy, I pushed him on and off on the draft thread yesterday.  But if they already took pass rushers per my board here, I'd have gone Brenden Rice or maybe Jahiem Bell tough call.

As for UDFA I'd have been all over Blake Watson.  I didn't do too bad with the UDFA RB i liked last time in Keaton Mitchell.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

2 -   Drake Maye

36  - Kool-AidMcKinstry

50 -  Kingsley Suamatia

53 -  Jonah Ellis

67 -  Cooper Bebbe

100 - Troy Franklin

139 - Jeremiah Trotter Jr.

161 - Christian Jones

222 - Jaheim Bell

By contrast by picks knowing who the Commanders had previously taken

2 -   Drake Maye

36  - Kool-AidMcKinstry

50 -  Kingsley Suamatia

53 -  Kingsley Suamatia

67 -  Kiran Amegadije

100 - Troy Franklin

139 - Jeremiah Trotter Jr.

161 - Christian Jones

222 - Brendan Rice

• Like 4

This is just too hard to do. For instance, we have a pretty good idea if we didn’t take Newton at 36 he’s probably gone at 40, right? But we don’t know. So if you switch picks at 36 and say… Dejean… when we get to 40 is Newton there or not? You can do this with a bunch of picks and situations.

The other issue is: are we doing this as if we were the GM? Or just using the picks we ultimately wound up with?

Anyways, here’s my half ass version because I don’t feel like looking at the draft board and see what actually happened using the picks we ultimately wound up with (which means Dejean has to go to Philly because that’s why they traded up… which is another issue with this exercise. If Dejean isn’t there they likely don’t move up so for the intent of this exercise I’m saying we couldn’t have taken Dejean at 36.

2- Daniels. Coin toss between him and Maye. Might have chosen Maye. I don’t know. I like the size but hate the mechanics. I’m not going to say here because if I was making the decision I would have a lot more info. I’ll stick with Daniels just because. But I would have loved Maye. Also worthy of note: if I was GM I would have weighed trade options heavily and if I could have traded down to 4/5 I may have done so to acquire picks and take McCarthy + OL. Or I may not have.

36 - I didn’t see it coming but Newton was definitely a BPA and likely mine. Dejean can’t be taken or we don’t get the next two picks in sequence… so let’s stick with Newton. Only other option here is Kool-Aid. So could have been him, too. 

50 - Patrick Paul. Weighted need/BPA pick.

53 - Ben Sinnott. 

67 - Cooper Beebe

100 - Cade Stover.

139 -  Caelon Carson. 

161 - Christian Jones

222 - Michael Pratt.

• Like 4

I want to see what people would have done if they could also choose not to make that trade down from 40. I’m

going to do mine after the 4 year old is in bed.

Edit:

OK. Here is how I would have picked given hindsight, the chance to read about some of their picks, and with the assumption that if they chose a guy at 50, he wouldn't have been there at 67. 

(1-2)Jayden Daniels - I originally wanted Drake Maye, but I suck at scouting quarterbacks and it seems like 95% of scouts, GM's and coaches had Daniels over Maye. 

(2-36) Jer-Zhan Newton. I wanted this real time. The PFF guys I was listening to leading up to the draft were just raving about Newton. I think one of them had him at something like the 11th best prospect overall. I love that we made this pick. I think it shows that we are now going to be drafting like Baltimore or the Eagles or Steelers. Talent drops and you steal it. 

(2-40) Cooper Dejean. You can't have enough impact players. Cooper is a versatile, star caliber player that plays at a position of real need for us. I hate that we gave him to the Eagles. If we'd drafted Cooper, I think we could legitimately say that we drafted three 1st round talents. 

(3-67)Cooper Beebe. I think he's an elite talent and would have given us an elite interior OL. I know we need tackles. Hopefully Brandon Coleman proves me wrong here. 

(3-78)Troy Franklin. I still think we need WR talent and Troy Franklin has elite on field speed. Jayden Daniels has a great deep ball and I think the fit would have been great. Also love the idea of Franklin and Terry on the outside and Dotson at slot. 

(3-100)Javon Foster. We get our RT of the future. 

After this point is where I am relying on the opportunity to educate myself about some of our picks, in Hindsight. 

(5-139)Jordan Magee. In retrospect, I think this is a great pickup. I can see this as a classic Adam Peters, mid-round LB steal.

(5-161)Johnny Wilson. A big bodied target for Jayden Daniels. How much did we need another safety? I thought about Christian Jones here, but he seems like Maybe JAG. I don't have a big problem with choosing Dominique Hampton though. Seems like a natural replacement for Jeremy Chinn and a decent fit for the defense. 

(7-222) Jaheim Bell. Not the blocker that Sinnott is, and maybe just doesn't have the size to be a classic in line TE. But, he is an explosive athlete, can be used as a receiver, runner, and gadget guy, and in the 7th, I think represents good value. 

So, that is:

Jayden Daniels

Jer-Zahn Newton

Cooper Dejean

Cooper Beebe

Troy Franklin

Javon Foster

Jordan Magee

Johnny Wilson

Jaheim Bell

Honestly, I think if I'd posted that haul in the mock draft thread, before the draft, everyone would have rolled their eyes and called it wildly unrealistically good. 

Edited by Anselmheifer
  • Like 6

There was a similar topic after last year's draft....I think I may have started it. But I can't find it now. Anyone know how to look it up? I'd be curious to see how some of those choices turned out.

On 4/28/2024 at 9:21 AM, KDawg said:

Also worthy of note: if I was GM I would have weighed trade options heavily and if I could have traded down to 4/5 I may have done so to acquire picks and take McCarthy + OL

That's what I would have explored too. It seems like we could have fleeced the Patriots - we know they've been enamored with Maye from the beginning. 

• Like 1

2)  QB Jayden Daniels 

36) DT Jer'Zhaun Newton - would be BPA for me easily

50) CB Renardo Green

53) OT Blake Fisher

67) LB Junior Colson

100) RB Jaylen Wright

139) Edge Mohamed Kamara

161) S Kitan Oladapo

222) TE Devin Culp

• Like 4

2 - Drake Maye

36 - Cooper DeJean

50 - Cooper Beebe

53 - Kingsley Suamataia

67 - Blake Corum

100 - Troy Franklin

139 - Sedrick Van Pran Granger

161 - Johnny Wilson

222 - Myles Cole

That's rigidly going off my board without considering overloading on positions.  I might have picked Austin Booker over SVPG at 139 because of already having Biadasz and the better position value of Edge.  But if I stay true to my board, SVPG was the BPA here for me.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

7 hours ago, Going Commando said:

2 - Drake Maye

36 - Cooper DeJean

50 - Cooper Beebe

53 - Kingsley Suamataia

67 - Blake Corum

100 - Troy Franklin

139 - Sedrick Van Pran Granger

161 - Johnny Wilson

222 - Myles Cole

That's rigidly going off my board without considering overloading on positions.  I might have picked Austin Booker over SVPG at 139 because of already having Biadasz and the better position value of Edge.  But if I stay true to my board, SVPG was the BPA here for me.

If you pick Dejean you don’t have 50/53

Here's the draft I probably would have executed at the time. However, in retrospect, I like the real draft better than what I would have done. 

2 - Maye

36 - McKinstry

50 - Suamataia

53 - Patrick Paul

67 - Roman Wilson

100 - Jared Wiley

139 - Jeremiah Trotter

161 - Johnny Wilson

222 - James Williams

• Like 4

I must be the only one in the world who doesn't love DeJean. Everyone else seems to but I feel like he is a bit of a tweener. I'm not sure I see the fluidity for CB or the instincts combined with physicality for a great S.

14 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

I must be the only one in the world who doesn't love DeJean. Everyone else seems to but I feel like he is a bit of a tweener. I'm not sure I see the fluidity for CB or the instincts combined with physicality for a great S.

From the Detroit Lions Scouts:  Key observations: Opponents completed 43 percent of their passes with a 37.8 passer rating for just 194 yards and no touchdowns when throwing at DeJean in 10 games last season. He recorded seven interceptions combined the last two seasons and returned three of those for touchdowns.

That stat may have scared us off - apparently prospects who are considered elite at the position only allow about 20% of their targets to be completed, so 43% is awfully high.