Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Brandon Coleman OT ~ TCU

zCommander

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Unless they sign a cap cut with real starting experience, Lucas is going to end up winning the starting job at LT.  I think they'll probably start Coleman at LG, and it'll be sink or swim for him there.  I don't know what we're going to do if Lucas or Wylie go down.  Moving Coleman outside will be detrimental to his development.  They're going to have to move Cosmi outside and hope that Daniels or Stromberg can start.

Sounds like the glue is already out and ready to be applied in this scenario… and I can’t agrue 1 bit that I think this is exactly what will happen too.

I get what @Skinsinparadise is saying that if he pans out being a fine OG under the situation in which he was taken 3rd round, but we didn’t need a OG, we needed a LT ….. this team with so much turn over in personnel and yet I still see this make shift OL being the thorn in the side and achilles’ heel of this team in 2024

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Command The 414 said:

Sounds like the glue is already out and ready to be applied in this scenario… and I can’t agrue 1 bit that I think this is exactly what will happen too.

I get what @Skinsinparadise is saying that if he pans out being a fine OG under the situation in which he was taken 3rd round, but we didn’t need a OG, we needed a LT ….. this team with so much turn over in personnel and yet I still see this make shift OL being the thorn in the side and achilles’ heel of this team in 2024

I don't rule out Coleman at LT but as I said on my initial watching he strikes me as a guard.  But not in the context of just a guy kind of guard.  I think he can be a high end guard.   But who knows?

As a pass protector, Lucas, his pass blocking grade has been in the 70s or even the 80s for most of his career from PFF that's a good grade.  "meh" as a run blocker.  But not a disaster if he's the LT. 

My point is if the choice is between Coleman being just an OK LT over a very good LG.  I'd take the LG if its purely as to this season if he's a much better guard than tackle.  I think Lucas is already an OK LT.

I do think though they likely sign someone else.  Bakhtiari maybe if he's healthy?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bakhtiari maybe if he's healthy?

I was thinking of him as a possible option too but I figured if he had any realistic chance of playing this year he'd probably be a jet.

Him (healthy of course) or donovan Smith would go a long way to easing my fears.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

I was thinking of him as a possible option too but I figured if he had any realistic chance of playing this year he'd probably be a jet.

Him (healthy of course) or donovan Smith would go a long way to easing my fears.

I’m hoping Bakhtiari, Humphries and Smith are all on their radar. Not for the whole season. But if Coleman needs more seasoning. I like Lucas, but I don’t know if his body or play hold up for a whole season. Same goes for the first two above. But if Lucas gives us 6+ games and is wearing down or hurt and Coleman isn’t super ready, getting another handful of games from Bakhtiari or Humphries could be beneficial. 

Smith is a guy that could fill in for more the entirety of the year but I’m not sure his play is much better than Lucas or the benefit of Coleman getting reps this year. Same honestly goes for the guys above too. 

I don’t have a whole lot of faith in competent play for the duration of the year from Lucas and Wylie but it does give me some hope that we won’t throw 70% of the time and will help more with protections, chips and the short game. But I’m hoping some of the above don’t get scooped up anytime soon in case we have injuries in camp or if Coleman shows he really can’t handle tackle. 

But right now I’m cautiously optimistic about Coleman playing tackle. And that we have a fairly strong interior that should afford our tackles more an opportunity to just run rushers by the outside. I actually really like our interior depth as well. But tackle depth is a serious concern so I wouldn’t mind having another veteran even if they can only be counted on for a handful of games. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, moondog said:

I’m hoping Bakhtiari, Humphries and Smith are all on their radar. Not for the whole season. But if Coleman needs more seasoning. I like Lucas, but I don’t know if his body or play hold up for a whole season. Same goes for the first two above. But if Lucas gives us 6+ games and is wearing down or hurt and Coleman isn’t super ready, getting another handful of games from Bakhtiari or Humphries could be beneficial. 

Smith is a guy that could fill in for more the entirety of the year but I’m not sure his play is much better than Lucas or the benefit of Coleman getting reps this year. Same honestly goes for the guys above too. 

I don’t have a whole lot of faith in competent play for the duration of the year from Lucas and Wylie but it does give me some hope that we won’t throw 70% of the time and will help more with protections, chips and the short game. But I’m hoping some of the above don’t get scooped up anytime soon in case we have injuries in camp or if Coleman shows he really can’t handle tackle. 

But right now I’m cautiously optimistic about Coleman playing tackle. And that we have a fairly strong interior that should afford our tackles more an opportunity to just run rushers by the outside. I actually really like our interior depth as well. But tackle depth is a serious concern so I wouldn’t mind having another veteran even if they can only be counted on for a handful of games. 

I'm wondering if our new front office had such a low opinion of Howell or more specifically his inability to avoid sacks that it's part of the reason they shipped him off to Seattle and at the same time don't seem to be code red on the offensive line.

Adding allegretti and biadisch while losing Leno is almost a push in free agency and only adding one 3rd rounder in the draft is uninspiring too.

I'm gonna do what I did last year and pray that the line is more than the sum of its parts, hopefully It works this time.

4 hours ago, redskinss said:

I certainly hope you're wrong.

The team seems to think you are, all indication ls are that they believe he's a tackle.

We'll see what happens in camp.  If they end up playing him at tackle because they don't have anyone else, that would be a real disservice to him.  I'm convinced tackle is not the right fit for him in the NFL. I think he is absolutely a guard, and I don't actually think he's got position flexibility to play tackle in the NFL.  The athleticism and length and history of playing the position in college don't change the fact that this guy will get absolutely destroyed by the kind of counter rushers that play on the edge in the NFL.

• Like 1

Ideally, we start Coleman at LG and Lucas at LT for the yeat and then next season, we can do what the Cowboys did this year and slide out to LT and we draft a new LG. They let Smith go, slide Tyler Smith out and drafted Beebe for LG.

In the end AP has filled positions of need in FA and in the draft.  He will take care of the OT position before training camp starts too.  So far, his track record is peaked out, IMO.  He's done a masterful job.  :)  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, RWJ said:

In the end AP has filled positions of need in FA and in the draft.  He will take care of the OT position before training camp starts too.  So far, his track record is peaked out, IMO.  He's done a masterful job.  :)  

We are still thin at OT and WR but otherwise, would agree

On 5/10/2024 at 1:55 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I was so confused watching this because Coleman looks like a white dude in this clip. However in his highlight videos he has much darker skin. Not that I care but it threw me off. I was watching the other guy initially, thinking he was Coleman. Lol.

On 5/9/2024 at 1:44 PM, Going Commando said:

We'll see what happens in camp.  If they end up playing him at tackle because they don't have anyone else, that would be a real disservice to him.  I'm convinced tackle is not the right fit for him in the NFL. I think he is absolutely a guard, and I don't actually think he's got position flexibility to play tackle in the NFL.  The athleticism and length and history of playing the position in college don't change the fact that this guy will get absolutely destroyed by the kind of counter rushers that play on the edge in the NFL.

It could be a bigger disservice to Daniels

5 hours ago, illone said:

Starting to get a sneaky feeling this Coleman guy ends up starting the season at left tackle. 

Might be one of those Adam Peters day two gems…

We will all have our fingers crossed he can play decent at LT at some point. If he turns into a gem, awesome for us and Peters. 

• Like 1