Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

When did being 28 at WR = past your prime?? 

Im not in favor or trading for a vet receiver either but 28 is absolutely in the prime years for a receiver. There is at least another 4-5 years of premium production if you get lucky with injuries.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Which teams will target him? Chargers, Titans, Packers, Saints and Bengals all pick between 37 and 50 and already got their OL's. Houston, Oakland, Indy, and Jacksonville all have that as a need on the nfl.com tracker site, but how many OL's do we like in that 40-70 zone, I have at least 4 or 5. I'm not fixated on Paul. There are other guys I'd be okay with. Id rather move down, risk losing Paul, get more assets, and get a guy later, be it a Guard or an OT. 

8 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Which teams will target him? Chargers, Titans, Packers, Saints and Bengals all pick between 37 and 50 and already got their OL's. Houston, Oakland, Indy, and Jacksonville all have that as a need on the nfl.com tracker site, but how many OL's do we like in that 40-70 zone, I have at least 4 or 5. I'm not fixated on Paul. There are other guys I'd be okay with. Id rather move down, risk losing Paul, get more assets, and get a guy later, be it a Guard or an OT. 

After Paul and the BYU kid you have a large drop off. Somebody will move  up for him if one of those teams do not take him.

Edited by Redskins 2021

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

When did being 28 at WR = past your prime?? 

Im not in favor or trading for a vet receiver either but 28 is absolutely in the prime years for a receiver. There is at least another 4-5 years of premium production if you get lucky with injuries.

It's the age cliff, prime years of elite level production for WR's are typically age 21-26, you still capture production at 28, but the best years are almost always, the really elite ones, age 23, 24, 25, 26, sometimes the tail end of it is 27. 28 is part of the decline. WR's don't have the fall off in elite level production after age 26 like RB's do, but there've been studies of when the most mega elite (top 5), excellent (top 10-12) and very good seasons (13 and below) take place in the age cohorts, and very, very few of them happen post age 27. It's why so many WR's switch teams after their rookie contracts and/or after they were franchised, you typically get 80% of the top years of a WR's career on their rookie deal. Admittedly Aiyuk is just 26, he's still in his prime, probably has at least 2 more great seasons left before he's probably more an 18th-36th in the league WR rather than a top 10-15, but I'm not interested in paying for that when I expect us to only win 4-7 games this year, and 6-9 in '25. 

• Like 1

In theory Aiyuk makes sense to pair him with his best buddy Jayden, but it’s just not practical. 

That guy is going to need money in the Aj Brown/Amon Ra range. 

Probably not prudent for a rebuilding team that is getting younger and not doling out those types of contracts. 

2 years, $30mm would be feasible but no way Aiyuk does that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

After Paul and the BYU kid you have a large drop off. Somebody will move  up for him if one of those teams do not take.  T

I want long term answers to both the starting lineup and the reserve cohort because both sucked last year, so I'm willing to wait on development for long term answers as such I'll take OT and IOL help. Guys I like:

Paul

Suamataia

Fisher

Amegadjie

Rosengarten

Coleman

Beebe

Haynes

etc

There's definitely guys I want, but I want to take advantage of the fact that a whole expletive load of OL's were taken by teams picking after we pick at 36. 9 different teams picking between 37 and the late 50's already took an OL in round 1. There are guys who are gonna fall. Is it Paul? Probably not. But at least 1 or 2 of the top 4 or 5 OL's on most of our boards are probably going to be available in the late 40s to mid 50's. Maybe more. I think we can afford to wait, and use the fact that other teams spent their draft capital. Hell, I looked through the list of team needs for teams picking in that zone and basically 4 teams have OL at all listed, and none of them are listed as a high priority, just a top 3-4 priority amongst many others. We can afford to wait, if we want, and run this day 2 with trade down(s), targeting the best player at 36, and then either snapping up the best OL in a trade down, or betting that a guy we have in our top 5 or 6 left falls to 67 (and maybe more than 1 of our top 6-7 OL's). There are a lot of ways we can play it and the worst to me is just forcing the need OL pick. The best, quick answer types, to me, are all gone, the bulk of the rest are guys that may bust and/or are developmental, we could get multiple OL's just moving down some. Instead of pinning on our hopes on just one guy. Consider our OL draft capital was used on one of the best center prospects last year, and we got nothing from him due to injury and he then got replaced in free agency. Better to own day 2 by taking advantage of teams priorities to maximize our own draft capital value...we aren't fixing this OL or OT problem with one OT pick in round 2, it requries multiple years and a lot of draft capital. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I want long term answers to both the starting lineup and the reserve cohort because both sucked last year, so I'm willing to wait on development for long term answers as such I'll take OT and IOL help. Guys I like:

Paul

Suamataia

Fisher

Amegadjie

Rosengarten

Coleman

Beebe

Haynes

etc

There's definitely guys I want, but I want to take advantage of the fact that a whole expletive load of OL's were taken by teams picking after we pick at 36. 9 different teams picking between 37 and the late 50's already took an OL in round 1. There are guys who are gonna fall. Is it Paul? Probably not. But at least 1 or 2 of the top 4 or 5 OL's on most of our boards are probably going to be available in the late 40s to mid 50's. Maybe more. I think we can afford to wait, and use the fact that other teams spent their draft capital. Hell, I looked through the list of team needs for teams picking in that zone and basically 4 teams have OL at all listed, and none of them are listed as a high priority, just a top 3-4 priority amongst many others. We can afford to wait, if we want, and run this day 2 with trade down(s), targeting the best player at 36, and then either snapping up the best OL in a trade down, or betting that a guy we have in our top 5 or 6 left falls to 67 (and maybe more than 1 of our top 6-7 OL's). There are a lot of ways we can play it and the worst to me is just forcing the need OL pick. The best, quick answer types, to me, are all gone, the bulk of the rest are guys that may bust and/or are developmental, we could get multiple OL's just moving down some. Instead of pinning on our hopes on just one guy. Consider our OL draft capital was used on one of the best center prospects last year, and we got nothing from him due to injury and he then got replaced in free agency. Better to own day 2 by taking advantage of teams priorities to maximize our own draft capital value...we aren't fixing this OL or OT problem with one OT pick in round 2, it requries multiple years and a lot of draft capital. 

I would okay at 36 taking BPA, but at 40 if Paul there you should take him. At 40 I don't think there are that many players ranked higher then him. He was close to a 1rd pick. Paul and BYU kid would normally be 1rd picks but to many OT this year.

After him and BYU you are in the next tier. Are there players there sure. Could they be better then Paul maybe. I just don't feel comfortable having the Yale OT as are top linemen. We really need Paul or the BYU OT at 40.

Edited by Redskins 2021

Just now, The Consigliere said:

Paul

Suamataia

Fisher

Amegadjie

Rosengarten

Coleman

Beebe

Haynes

etc

The following teams could still take OL in R2:

NE (34)

AZ (35) (more IOL)

Wash (36) (duh)

Ten (38) (Still need a bookend, although I think this is unlikely to be fair)

Wash (40) (duh)

Vegas (44) (badly needs a RT)

Saints (45) (Penning has been a bust.  Fuaga is only a RT)

Philly (50) (Need a Lane replacement)

Philly (53) (See above)

Miami (55) (Armstead is near the end)

SF (61) (Have nothing besides Trent who could retire after the year anyways)

KC (62) (Need a LT badly).

34 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I think it will be Kool-Aid as well. I’d be happy with that pick. 

I would be OK with Beebe with our later 2nd. People will scream it’s a reach for need but will forget all about that when he is plug and play at or around Pro Bowl level for the next decade.

It wouldn't be a reach for me.  I posted my board yesterday, and this group are still available:

On 4/25/2024 at 11:36 AM, Going Commando said:

17 - Cooper DeJean
18 - Blake Corum
19 - Cooper Beebe
20 - Kingsley Suamataia

After them, I've got:

25 - Johnny Newton

31 - Ladd McConkey
32 - Kool-Aid McKinstry

All of them constitute value picks for me, but Dejean and Beebe are the biggest ones.  I accept that Corum will never be the pick, I just think the league is sleeping on him.

Beebe is the best IOL in the class, and I think he's a legitimately dominant player that is getting overlooked because he's a little short and wide-bodied and has no neck.  Anyone who can snatch T'Vondre Sweat down has ridiculous functional strength, and he virtually never misses move blocks.  It's incredible.  He's just uniquely good at football, and underrating him for not being body beautiful is a classic mistake IMO.  So I think we'd be getting a first round player in Beebe.

DeJean is a special player too, but I really think he's going to Buffalo because he's just so conspicuously valuable at this point, and teams have had a night to sleep on him.  So that leaves me hoping New England has Johnny Newton over Kingsley Suamataia on their board.  If he goes there, then I think we can get Kingsley at 36 and Beebe at 40 and completely transform the long term quality of the line.  It'd be like getting two first round pick OLs in the same year, pushed down by the unusual depth of the class.

• Like 4

Just now, mhd24 said:

The following teams could still take OL in R2:

NE (34)

AZ (35) (more IOL)

Wash (36) (duh)

Ten (38) (Still need a bookend, although I think this is unlikely to be fair)

Wash (40) (duh)

Vegas (44) (badly needs a RT)

Saints (45) (Penning has been a bust.  Fuaga is only a RT)

Philly (50) (Need a Lane replacement)

Philly (53) (See above)

Miami (55) (Armstead is near the end)

SF (61) (Have nothing besides Trent who could retire after the year anyways)

KC (62) (Need a LT badly).

I put Baltimore in there as well

So we are guaranteed a pick of one of DeJean. McKinstry or McConkey with our first 2nd rounder. I would be happy with any of those. Actually add Edgerrin Cooper to that list as well.

Given a choice from that list I would take McConkey.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, illone said:

In theory Aiyuk makes sense to pair him with his best buddy Jayden, but it’s just not practical. 

That guy is going to need money in the Aj Brown/Amon Ra range. 

Probably not prudent for a rebuilding team that is getting younger and not doling out those types of contracts. 

2 years, $30mm would be feasible but no way Aiyuk does that. 

AND we have to give up picks too. I just don't see the point. I don't want to pay top dollar for the end of a prime and the beginning of a decline when we are literally in the process of rock bottoming and beginning the climb back. Hell, personally, I'm still hoping we have a ton of hard luck losses next year to help w/draft capital, I don't want to do what Houston did, and get so good, so fast, that its much harder to fix holes. I'd like another two years of inside top 10, and inside top 13 draft capital to build out the defense (we have no quality edges, no quality DB's), the OL, and the playmakers. We don't have anything great in any of those areas of the team other than a bit of FA spackle. It will take 2-3 years worth of drafts to begin to make up for the total ---- show of colossal busts, and blatant dumb --- draft capital flushes that happened under Rivera '20-'23 and its not like the team made good use of '17-'20 either, we lack top end talent, quality starters, and good bench depth. We need to suck to fix those things, we don't want to suddenly go 11-6 or 10-7 next year on Daniels to Aiyuk TD's, and suddenly be stuck at the back end of each round.

I'm very hopeful we finish bottoming out in '24 with a 5 win season, maybe 4 (I can deal with 6) and then consider approaching .500+ in '25 (hopefully pick 8-14 in the '26 class if the build is working). 

• Like 1

I'm in the camp of calling Buffalo to try and get to 33 for Kingsley Suamataia.  I do not want the Patriots to grab him.  36 and mid-round change isn't too big a price to pay for the last first round caliber OT on the board.

We can recoup the value by moving down from 40.  If you get to ~55, that's Cooper Beebe or Blake Corum range.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Paul

Suamataia

Fisher

Amegadjie

Rosengarten

Coleman

Beebe

Haynes

etc

I would take Fisher from that list first at OT followed by Suamataia. Beebe might be the best overall player of the bunch. People will pick Beebe apart because he's not a great mover and has short arms. But he's plug and play at LG and will bench press DTs in the run game and stone wall rushers in pass pro. 

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I want Philly to want to move up to 36 for Kool Aid and give us 50&53 and we take JPJ, Beebe and Paul.

They already got Quinyon though.  Would they still trade so much to get another corner?

If Kingsley is off the board, then I definitely explore those trade down scenarios though.  Kool-Aid is good, but I'd rather have two mid seconds for freaking sure.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

It wouldn't be a reach for me.  I posted my board yesterday, and this group are still available:

After them, I've got:

25 - Johnny Newton

31 - Ladd McConkey
32 - Kool-Aid McKinstry

All of them constitute value picks for me, but Dejean and Beebe are the biggest ones.  I accept that Corum will never be the pick, I just think the league is sleeping on him.

Beebe is the best IOL in the class, and I think he's a legitimately dominant player that is getting overlooked because he's a little short and wide-bodied and has no neck.  Anyone who can snatch T'Vondre Sweat down has ridiculous functional strength, and he virtually never misses move blocks.  It's incredible.  He's just uniquely good at football, and underrating him for not being body beautiful is a classic mistake IMO.  So I think we'd be getting a first round player in Beebe.

DeJean is a special player too, but I really think he's going to Buffalo because he's just so conspicuously valuable at this point, and teams have had a night to sleep on him.  So that leaves me hoping New England has Johnny Newton over Kingsley Suamataia on their board.  If he goes there, then I think we can get Kingsley at 36 and Beebe at 40 and completely transform the long term quality of the line.  It'd be like getting two first round pick OLs in the same year, pushed down by the unusual depth of the class.

We have to hope that NE takes WR because they fear that they won't get one with their next pick in the early 3rd and are content taking the Blake Fisher types with that early 3rd.  

I do wonder if Buffalo doesn't take DeJean and goes WR instead.  They have 33, 60, 95, 128.  They can probably get a Safety at 60 no problem and decide on Ladd or Mitchell at 33 (who will surely be gone by 60).  

I think AZ at 35 is locked in at IOL because all of their starters are simply stopgaps.  Beebe, JPJ, and Frazier make sense to me there at 35.

33). Buff-Ladd

34). NE-A. Mitchell

35). Az-JPJ

36). Wash-Kingsley

37).  LAC-DeJean

38). Ten-Newton

39). Car-Kneeland

40). Was-Kool-Aid

• Like 1