Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd, Ahmed

CapsSkins

6 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

QB, LT, RT, WR, DB still to sort.

I expect a few more free agents signed, but in terms of the draft finding a way to get stud QB, LT and CB prospects would be great. All core positions. First 3 picks ?

Well, QB is going to get sorted out with the #2 pick in the draft.  Whether you like the pick or not is a different story, but it will be their swing.

@Koolblue13 is going to despise this, but I could see a world where they are somewhat forced to go into the season with Wylie at RT.  

The OL is still a work in progress.  However, they probably solidified the middle.  They signed Biadasz at Center, Allegretti at guard.  They also have Stromberg as a swing guard/center if they like him. Allegretti might be the starter, or he might be a backup.  We'll see, they might not be done yet.  He did tear his UCL in the SB, so I'm not sure what his return timetable is.    

The FA class for tackles wasn't great, and they were going to be expensive.  I'm ok with Peters and co. not over-spending for a tackle, or signing a guy to start who has had significant injury issues, because frankly that doesn't really help you either.  

Depending on the way the draft falls, they could grab a LT 36, or they could package 36 + something (either 40 or one of the 3rd round picks) to move back up into the 1st round to grab a LT.  I don't think we'll know exactly what they're going to do there until draft day, because some of it will depend on who falls to where.

I don't think, however, you want to go into the season with rookies at both tackle spots + a rookie QB.  That's asking for trouble.  Which is why I think it's possible Wylie starts at RT again.  

If I were them, I would re-sign Lucas.  It wouldn't cost much, he's worked next to Cosmi, he can play virtually all the spots on the OL, and gives you another veteran.  

I'm just guessing, at the moment, the lineup is, left to right, Rookie LT, Allegretti, Biadasz, Cosmi, Wylie. That could change if they draft another guard, and Allegretti is a backup, or Stromboli shows out and wins the LG job, though at the moment, he's the only backup center.  They still have Daniels at tackle from last year's draft on the roster, who is going to compete for a roster spot.  But might get cut.  

WR: they will sign a guy or draft a guy.  I'm not worried about this.  I trust Peters to find a relatively cheap option for WR3.  The key will be Dotson has to revert to his rookie form.  Keim has been saying over and over they are looking for a receiver with size.  So, I'd check out what Anthony Mix is up to. Because, as we all know, he's tall.  

DB is going to be interesting.  Can this group get more out of Forbes?  Maybe.  Can this group get St. Juste to stop committing penalties?  Maybe.  Are they most likely going to draft a guy or two?  Almost certainly, but they probably won't be starters.  

They probably sign a guy or two, draft a guy or two, and coach up the guys they've got.  It won't be a strength of the team. Bram thinks this is where they are going to take a swing with a trade.  I don't.  

There were too many holes to fill with one off-season, because top-flight tackles aren't on the market, top-flight CBs are expensive and not generally available, and they can only fill so many holes in one draft.

They needed players at every premier position.  

2 hours ago, markmills67 said:

I will give the Skins front office a B so far in free agency,  but I'm worried we haven't got any OT so far. I know we have Wylie but he was awful last year. I know we could take 2 OT's in the draft but 2 rookies protecting a Rookie QB is not the way I would go.

Because there weren't any good OT's available on the market you weren't going to overpay.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, moondog said:

My biggest concern right now is offensive line. Right now we have Andrew Wylie and Braden Daniels for offensive tackles. I’m unsure if Trent Scott is on the roster - I thought he signed a one year deal. Wylie is fringe starter at best at tackle imo. Daniels was drafted because he’s an athlete and hopefully they can develop him but based on what he showed in camp last year I’m not sure this group would have spent a 7th rounder on him. 

I’m certain we’ll sign someone that eventually gets cut but the current crop of FA’s are not an upgrade to Wylie unless maybe Becton can stay healthy and Humphries isn’t gonna be ready to start the year or be 100% when he is ready to play. We all expect an early tackle to be drafted but best case we sign a quality starter and the other OT is a rookie based on what is on the roster. 

Based on Quinn and Whitt’s track record I’m am less concerned with CB because of what I believe they can get out of Forbes and BSJ and I have to believe Martin will be on the field a lot as a slot with Chinn and Forrest playing more safety plus there are still quality CB’s on the market like Howard and Gilmore. 

Next is TE. Ertz can be a quality pass catcher and Bates is a solid Y. I’m disappointed that Turner hasn’t shown more and Rodgers has some solid upside that I again hope they can maximize what they have but we need someone for the future and it kills me we didn’t get one from last year’s draft crop. 

Those are my biggest concerns right now. More future problems like linebacker depth/future as well as receiver I’m happy and confident can be filled through the draft although I would also like to see us bring in a FA or two. 

"My biggest concern right now is offensive line."

Yes, we need to move on this before the draft.

Nothing will derail the progress of a young qb more than a poor offensive line.

What I don't understand is why we haven't at least resigned Cornelious Lucas.

Does a hybrid air raid offense require a different type of lineman? If so, is Lucas a bad fit for our new scheme?

Very puzzling to me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bantu said:

OT felt a lot like DE at the beginning of free agency in terms of not even having average starters to fill in for most of season 1 of Quinn's regime. It still feels like that, so even bargain basement swing tackles would be welcome at this point. Is Lucas still on the roster and available? I thought he was a good backup that would fit this role.

Peters has a draft plan concerning plug and play fat boys.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOq0xCR6f7QvG7lDNtXEK

• Haha 2

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I'm sure the current plan is Wylie at RT, but I'm not convinced that he makes it to the final 53, although I'm sure he'll play better, because our OCs are morons this year.

I would have preferred moving Wylie to LG but we signed that other KC guy to man that spot. Advanced #s did say Wylie wasn't THAT bad last year but he also kinda failed the eye test multiple times. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Actually I had the chance to meet John Carpenter at a movie festival overe here. I reached out to him with a copy of The Thing he was quite surprised and happy so he signed it.

I had to check out your bio due to "over here" comment. Had never put 2 and 2 together that FR was in reference to France. lol

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I would have preferred moving Wylie to LG but we signed that other KC guy to man that spot. Advanced #s did say Wylie wasn't THAT bad last year but he also kinda failed the eye test multiple times. 

There isn't a better option right now.

I get that Wylie was bad, but how much of that was scheme, qb and coaching. He did play better with brissett. Maybe this staff saw something. Agree that this line was terrible as a whole and needs to be upgraded. Putting my trust in the new staff

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Oh this group is too smart not to have a plan for one of the most important positions,, But that placeholder could have been Leno, who is as good as anyone else they would sign.  That was my only issue with this offseason, why not keep an established vet who won't kill you while you find your long term answer?  He had one year left, that would have been perfect.  

He just recently had a serious hip surgery and may not play this season (or ever again). Big cap number to gamble on that

• Like 1

Given the amount of cap space we still have I would assume that there's some sort of plan for tackle.

It's reading between the lines but when you have holes and money, and we're not spending the money to fill the holes, logically it suggests we don't want to fill the holes with what's available.

Now obviously that could turn out not to be the case.  Maybe we wanted Tyron and he didn't want to come here.  Maybe we wanted/want someone else  but are trying to be responsible with our money.  But if we definitively wanted a FA guy we certainly had/have the money.  And as responsible as you might want to be I would imagine this FO wouldn't hang a new QB out to dry over a few million bucks they already have lying around.

The worst case scenario is that they like no one at LT in both FA or draft (that they can get) and are gonna just tough it out for a season.

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

QB is going to get sorted out with the #2 pick in the draft.  Whether you like the pick or not is a different story, but it will be their swing.

@Koolblue13 is going to despise this, but I could see a world where they are somewhat forced to go into the season with Wylie at RT.  

The OL is still a work in progress.  However, they probably solidified the middle.  They signed Biadasz at Center, Allegretti at guard. 

Agreed. 

The early talk was that they’d solidify the interior first, which we’ve basically done. 

There could be a few OT become available after the draft, considering the numbers slated to be drafted in the first round or so. Might be able to land an upgrade post draft.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

"My biggest concern right now is offensive line."

Yes, we need to move on this before the draft.

Nothing will derail the progress of a young qb more than a poor offensive line.

What I don't understand is why we haven't at least resigned Cornelious Lucas.

Does a hybrid air raid offense require a different type of lineman? If so, is Lucas a bad fit for our new scheme?

Very puzzling to me.

I'm just don't know what they could have done differently and still fit into their overall strategy of not overpaying for veterans, maintaining cap flexibility in years to come, and not signing guys who are old and injured.  

The challenge is the tackle FA market just stunk.  And it always stinks.  Because you don't let good tackles hit FA.  So, they could overpay for an "ok" tackle or sign an old, oft injured tackle. We just overpaid for an "ok" tackle in Wylie.  Why do that again?

They have to draft a LT.  If they have to package picks to go up and get one, that's what they have to do.  I'm just going on the premise they're going to get a starting LT in the draft for the single and sole reason they don't have a warm human being with a beating heart who can play LT on the roster currently.  I know you don't draft for need.  But when you have 0 players at a position your hands are kindof tied.  

Were any of the tackles available appreciably better than Wylie?  I am not so sure. And they would have been more expensive. Which says more about the tackle market than it does about Wylie.  

And again, I don't think they want to have 2 rookies at tackle spots + a rookie QB.  

They got stuck because Ron has performed roster malpractice on the OL for 4 years.  They needed 4 new starters.  That's really tough to do in one off-season. You want to draft your tackles.  It's really hard to draft both a starting right and left tackle in the same draft.  

I think they're going to probably draft 2 or potentially 3 tackles.  But that doesn't mean they would be ready to start this year.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm sure the current plan is Wylie at RT, but I'm not convinced that he makes it to the final 53, although I'm sure he'll play better, because our OCs are morons this year.

I honestly expect us to double-tap OT in the draft. Grab the best OT at #36 and then get someone that falls in R3 ... or someone like Rosengarten. 

Both do not and will not start out of the gate but in theory you've got your future LT and RT to build around if those picks hit. If not, come back to OT next off-season, but at least you've got a Swing Tackle and starter at either LT or RT out of this draft.

I think we can expect a stopgap signing at LT but just not sure who is out there (or who could become available). We've got plenty of cap space so I think we're well positioned to make a move ala Leno a few years ago.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The problem with flipping Wylie to LG is you open a hole that you can't fill at RT.  I think Wylie is irrelevant.  If they could have signed a player better than Wylie at RT which fit within their strategy, the fact Wylie is on the roster wouldn't have stopped them.  That guy didn't exist, so they didn't sign anybody.

Also note: he's NEVER played on the left side.  And from what I've heard from OL players over the years, that's not the easiest thing to do.  I remember Grimm saying it at some point, though I don't remember the context or when.  He said it screws with your mind because literally everything is backwards, and all of your technique is backwards, and everything you practice which becomes muscle memory has to be re-learned.  I have no idea if that's true or not.  But I'll trust Russ Grimm on the nuances of OL play, even if he played 30 years ago.  

Not that it can't be done, and isn't done, but it's not that easy to do.  And Wylie isn't THAT good where I would think he would make the transition easily.  

So I think until they draft a guy or sign a true RT, Wylie is the RT.  And that will be fine if they get a good LT and they do more things to help Wylie.

His biggest problem is he can get set-up.  And then he gives up huge sacks at the worst times.  

• Like 1

Currently looks like we have $100m cued up for 2025 salary cap space.

Assuming we roll over about $20m ... even when you factor in the salaries of this year's draft class into next year's cap, I think you're still going to be hovering north of $100m (without cutting anyone like Wylie or restructuring Jon Allen).

Seeing what we've done in this FA cycle with our $80-90m, I have no doubts we'll be able to make moves to really secure the OL going forward. Even if we stopgap one of the Tackles this off-season, i would expect next year's top target in either the draft or FA will be a franchise LT.