Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: The Ending of An Era (Cowboys II)

KDawg

Not going to be a typical last game post... I usually post the team MVP, most improved, defensive MVP and all of that from the studs and duds.

I haven't tracked that in months.

The MVP is that the era of this franchise that Dan Snyder ushered in is over. 

I have no idea what the future holds. I don't know if the franchise is going to be better. I don't know who we're going to sign in FA, trade for or draft. I don't know who our GM/Scouts/FO/HC/OC/DC are going to be.

But, this era is over.

Snyder's tenure sure as hell includes this year. The ownership switch took place way too late for that to count against Harris, in my opinion.

Snyder finished his era, with his coaches and his FO with a record of:

168-232-2.

A 41% win percentage.

Congratulations to Terry McLaurin, who not only got 1000 yards for his fourth straight year but he also enters the 2024 offseason by passing Hugh Taylor for 8th all time in Redskin/Commander history in receiving yards.

He's in reasonable striking distance of 5th all time if he's here next year and healthy and has another 1000+ yard campaign. If he does that, the only receivers left ahead of him are: 

Santana Moss

Charley Taylor

Gary Clark

and Art Monk.

That's it.

See you in the FA and Comprehensive Draft Thread.

I'd say it's been fun, but it hasn't. But I'm glad the forum still exists. Hopefully Harris keeps it around because it would be a real shame to see this end.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

• KDawg changed the title to Next Day Thread: The Ending of An Era (Cowboys II)

Seriously, if this forum goes away...I have no backup plan. Reddit, Facebook, etc have terrible vibes.

The only strengths (under contract) a new GM will inherit are McLaurin, the DT group, Cosmi, Robinson, and a whole bunch of people they might say "well in a different scheme maaaaybe..." As far as MVP's there are none, just some good players.

I see national media folks talk about how appealing we are as a destination for HC and GM due to draft picks, cap room, and an OK roster. But after this season I don't see how we can include the roster into that. How far we've fallen for our perceptions of this roster. Before the season I thought we actually had talent in the secondary, wide receivers, tight ends, etc.

I have no idea which QB to draft. Or how best to build this team into not sucking. But it's possible there is no real wrong answer. Any move for "good players" is the only answer as it would all help this blank slate without much talent.

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Seriously, if this forum goes away...I have no backup plan. Reddit, Facebook, etc have terrible vibes.

The only strengths (under contract) a new GM will inherit are McLaurin, the DT group, Cosmi, Robinson, and a whole bunch of people they might say "well in a different scheme maaaaybe..." As far as MVP's there are none, just some good players.

I see national media folks talk about how appealing we are as a destination for HC and GM due to draft picks, cap room, and an OK roster. But after this season I don't see how we can include the roster into that. How far we've fallen for our perceptions of this roster. Before the season I thought we actually had talent in the secondary, wide receivers, tight ends, etc.

I have no idea which QB to draft. Or how best to build this team into not sucking. But it's possible there is no real wrong answer. Any move for "good players" is the only answer as it would all help this blank slate without much talent.

Going to be a wild few months. 

I don’t love any of the QBs, which is a monkey wrench I didn’t think I’d need to work through going into this season. I thought we’d at least be mediocre.

But the stench stuck.

This team needs an enema. It’s going to get one.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

I'm totally over the 1000 yards being a milestone thing.  Especially in a 17 game season era where they throw it every down.  It's just not that impressive to me anymore.  

Not even with multiple different weak ass QBs?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, justice98 said:

I'm totally over the 1000 yards being a milestone thing.  Especially in a 17 game season era where they throw it every down.  It's just not that impressive to me anymore.  

Anyone remember the 1000 Yard Club cards that Topps used to issue in the 1980s? It really meant much more as a receiver then.  

Funny stat...  As of the end of the 1983 Season, there had been only 5 quarterbacks that had thrown for 4,000 yards in a season.  Two are fairly obvious-- Joe Namath (1965) and Dan Fouts (1979, 1980, 1981).  The other three were Brian Sipe (1980), Lynn Dickey (1983), and Bill Kenney (1983).  4000 yards in 16 games was considered a monumental achievement until 1993-1994, when things started to get really crazy with the receiving numbers.

1 hour ago, kfrankie said:

Anyone remember the 1000 Yard Club cards that Topps used to issue in the 1980s? It really meant much more as a receiver then.  

Funny stat...  As of the end of the 1983 Season, there had been only 5 quarterbacks that had thrown for 4,000 yards in a season.  Two are fairly obvious-- Joe Namath (1965) and Dan Fouts (1979, 1980, 1981).  The other three were Brian Sipe (1980), Lynn Dickey (1983), and Bill Kenney (1983).  4000 yards in 16 games was considered a monumental achievement until 1993-1994, when things started to get really crazy with the receiving numbers.

I remember when Brees passed 5000 the first time thinking that was cool.  Then he did it 4 more times.  lol

54 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I remember when Brees passed 5000 the first time thinking that was cool.  Then he did it 4 more times.  lol

I remember when Jameis Winston did it about 4 years ago, and then the Bucs made no effort to re-sign him.

• Haha 1