Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hamas Attacks Against Israel

Fergasun

Was driving through a heavily jewish neighborhood last week so was very proud to see all the signs on the congregations in support of israel.

If you ever drive though Montgomery Country MD especially around "P-Mac" and Chevy Chase it is heavily hebrew. Heck there were even people waving the israeli flag on the overpass on montrose road

"Does calling for the genocide of Jews violate the code of conduct?"

They all said if the speech is targetted and pervausive, Yes.  

A general protest of students saying, "From the river to the sea -- Free Palestine..." atudents can't chant that? I bet that wouldn't violate any code of conduct.  Even if that's the implied genocidal phrasing (and how many college students would really know that?). 

Chanting "Genocide the ..." and collecting a list of Jewish students would certainly be a violation.  But going to a place with Jewish students and protesting, probably not a violation of the code of conduct.  But if you spray painted slogans and damaged property in the process -- violation of the code of conduct.  Colleges are places where protests and free speech occur in more extreme manners than typical. 

I bet the University President's spoke about active steps they are taking to protect their Jewish populations. And tons of other things.   We wouldn't know because this Stefanik media is getting vomitted everywhere to act like "colleges are so antisemetic" -- well maybe young people don't support Israel the same manner and are questioning blank check political support from America.  

2 attacks occurred against college students - UMass Amherst and Ohio State.  But additionally, Muslims, Arabs and others also feel unsafe. 

Let's say France invaded England sparking youth protests.  Of course French people around the world would feel less safe seeing people march and protest against France and would feel "rising anti-Franco semtiment".  

52 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

smashing Russian twitter for Hunter Biden dick pics.

Yeah, just dick pics. 

That's all.

I'm just glad you've moved on from spreading lies about the NRA and gun ranges.

* Not a member of the NRA. Don't own a gun. 

Edited by Spearfeather
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Yeah, just dick pics. 

That's all.

I'm just glad you've moved on from spreading lies about the NRA and gun ranges.

* Not a member of the NRA. Don't own a gun. 

Don’t feed the troll 

2 hours ago, Fergasun said:

3 minutes of a Congresswoman bullying Ivy League Presidents for exercising nuance and restraint towards their students....

no, that’s lame. They’ve been scared to act or take a stance against violent rhetoric, and in some cases actual violence. 

and if the target of it all was blacks or Latinos, they’d act swiftly. But they didn’t act swiftly did they? They still have yet to act at all. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, tshile said:

Don’t feed the troll 

no, that’s lame. They’ve been scared to act or take a stance against violent rhetoric, and in some cases actual violence. 

and if the target of it all was blacks or Latinos, they’d act swiftly. But they didn’t act swiftly did they? They still have yet to act at all. 

I mean I get that universities often try to foster an open environment for free exchange of ideas, but feels like they've been willing to draw lines before (what happened to the whole safe space thing?).  

Harvard code of conduct does say the following

It is important to note here that speech not specifically directed against individuals in a harassing way may be protected by traditional safeguards of free speech, even though the 
comments may cause considerable discomfort or concern to others in the community. 

If that's gonna be their stance and they are consistent about it, I guess they are free to set up their own rules.  But let's say there's a student group calling for lynching of all black people or rape of all women, the university is really gonna do nothing?  Why wouldn't calling for genocide of anyone, be they Israeli, Palestinians, whoever, fall under the same category as calling for lynching or rape of any group?  Seems like a weird position for the universities.  

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

should it take more than a 10 second clip to answer thenquestion?

The video begins with a 10 second clip (with no way of knowing if it was even at the begining of the answer), and does not mention what the question was.  

And no, I'm not going to just assume that a heavily edited YouTube video, with a clickbait title, featuring Stefanik, is an honest summary of the exchange.  

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ivy-league-presidents-testify-capitol-hill-countering-antisemitism/story?id=105387761

"We do not sanction individuals for their political views or their speech. When that speech crosses into conduct that violates our behavior based policies, bullying, harassment and intimidation, we take action," Gay said.

Gay, citing privacy concerns, would not provide details on specific cases.  Kornbluth, president of MIT, highlighted the difference between what people can say and should say -- but said all is protected speech.  "I strongly believe that there is a difference between what we can say to each other -- that is what we have a right to say -- and what we should say, as members of one community," Kornbluth said.  "Yet as president of MIT, in addition to my duties to keep the campus safe and to maintain the functioning of this national asset, I must at the same time, ensure that we protect speech and viewpoint diversity for everyone," she said.

6 hours ago, Fergasun said:

"Does calling for the genocide of Jews violate the code of conduct?"

They all said if the speech is targetted and pervausive, Yes.  

Do you understand how insane this sounds against the back drop of microaggressions and safe spaces? Do you imagine these same people would hold such a standard if campus groups began calling for Palestine to be destroyed? That Palestine is evil, those that support its existence are evil, that every Palestinian is a fair target, that really the only future worth supporting is a further where Palestine is wiped from existence? Think they’d say “oh well there are active investigations and we have rules” if Jewish students began bursting into classrooms with bullhorns and proudly shouting “come outside and join us in demanding the end of Palestine!”

You can’t push back against free speech for years with arguments that hate speech is violence and that silence is also violence… then turn around and argue nuance and patience is needed because free speech is of supreme importance. It would be like Trump reacting to white immigrants being caught committing crimes and suddenly claiming that immigration is a human right and we shouldn’t be too hasty in demanding people be deported. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think what is being pushed is a garbage narrative.  This all started due to the Harvard letter which said Israel was entirely responsible for the conflict.  Which is a stupid take.  This is the meta argument behind the conflict.  Why is there no agreement on UN resolutions?  Because both sides are to blame, but want to put the blame for their actions on the other side.  This is classic victim blaming.  "I wouldn't have attacked you if you didn't keep taking my land."  "I wouldn't have invaded you if you didn't attack me."  "I have every right to attack you." 

I found one attack that took place on Harvard.  One attack:

https://nationalpost.com/news/harvard-law-review-antisemitic-attacker

Washington Free Beacon, which reviewed video footage of the attack, reported that Bharmal and a graduate divinity student at Harvard, Elom Tettey Tamaklo, who is a “proctor” who lives with and supervises undergraduates at the university, have been identified in a report to the FBI’s Boston office and to Harvard police.  The Free Beacon, which reviewed the report to law enforcement, quoted from the document. “An Israeli student on his way to class pulled his phone out to film the rioters and he was attacked. He was assaulted both physically and verbally,” per the report. “Throughout the assault he kept calm, but was aggressively attacked by pro-Palestine rioters.”

One attack and there's no report of injuries.  This is only Harvard.  Yet somehow we have to bring this same dynamic into America?   I reject it.  

I know, there have been actual attacks -- serious attacks - the protestor killed down the street from me, 6 year old killed, and the 3 Palestinians shot.  But, by and large it's protests,letters and social media posts that are dividing us. 

I am pissed because Congress is actively amplifying the division. Are we going to have Palestinian victims of Israel bombing speaking out the same way Israel is using the October 7 victims? Why?  Because young Americans are more critical of Israel than ever before.  Because we have not had to deep dive this conflict. And that's now getting labeled "antisemetic".  

October 7th is horrible.  And 20,000 dead Palestinians due to indiscriminate bombings is also horrible. 

And BTW... Congress for sure is going to provide funding for Israel arms.  This is also going to drive protests. 

Just now, Spearfeather said:

Where or who, is this number coming from ? How many of that number are Hamas ?

And how do you know the IDF's bombings are random ?

You also have to ask how many of them were actually launched by Hamas. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tshile said:

Remember: 

calling for genocide only against the code of conduct if *wait for it* it’s persuasive

And remember that Students for Justice in Palestine are campus organizations and many have explicitly stated that all Israeli’s are fair targets and celebrated the attack on October 7. Can you imagine being Jewish and sharing a campus with a group that is overtly and actively aligned with a terrorist organization? 

Not sure how persuasive they are though.  

hey do you think if a Jewish group held a rally celebrating a fully justified recent police shooting and argued that “police should shoot criminals more often” that campuses would wonder if what they said was persuasive? What if they sent out a letter saying all criminals are fair targets? 

Equal treatment is the answer here. It’s always been the only way to avoid situations like this.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Destino said:

Do you imagine these same people would hold such a standard if campus groups began calling for Palestine to be destroyed? That Palestine is evil, those that support its existence are evil, that every Palestinian is a fair target, that really the only future worth supporting is a further where Palestine is wiped from existence?

Just observing that this thread seems to contain people who -seem to have a problem, with anybody pointing out that the Palestenians seem to have legitimate grievances. 

For people claiming some sort of double standard, it would be nice if they could point out a case where one of these universities actually punished somebody for something equivalent in another case.

Edited by PeterMP