Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

46 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Only been 30 years. Can't be much longer.

I waffle back and forth on this. It is so interesting. Do you view this as a 30-year disaster that we can be patient to see through a rebiuld, or as a new FO that needs to come in and make things right pretty quickly.

As a fan base I think we would be fine with a long rebuild and not chasing a QB. But the new FO will want to come in and not have time to "let QB come to us" ...

Either way, I do hope if we see Jayden Daniels as a late 1st round type of player on or around equal playing field as Sam Howell, that we do in fact build the franchise up from the lines out. But if the FO sees him as a Top 5 QB in the league and sees Howell at his ceiling, then I hope we take the QB.

It is more fun to build the team. More picks, more analytics, more future picks with a trade-down.

But you can't win without a great QB. Hopefully we have the tough decision to make between those two scenarios at pick #2 or #3.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I waffle back and forth on this. It is so interesting. Do you view this as a 30-year disaster that we can be patient to see through a rebiuld, or as a new FO that needs to come in and make things right pretty quickly.

As a fan base I think we would be fine with a long rebuild and not chasing a QB. But the new FO will want to come in and not have time to "let QB come to us" ...

Either way, I do hope if we see Jayden Daniels as a late 1st round type of player on or around equal playing field as Sam Howell, that we do in fact build the franchise up from the lines out. But if the FO sees him as a Top 5 QB in the league and sees Howell at his ceiling, then I hope we take the QB.

It is more fun to build the team. More picks, more analytics, more future picks with a trade-down.

But you can't win without a great QB. Hopefully we have the tough decision to make between those two scenarios at pick #2 or #3.

I still think Howell can be that guy, but I'd still be drafting 2 QBs in this draft. I don't know about day one, but I'd be drafting QBs.

3 picks in the top 36 or so. Personally that's 2 OTs and WR over 6'2" 200lbs who can run a sub 4.4 40. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Lots of decisions to be made. I’m not married to any decision one way or the other. I’m married to the idea of a plan and it being executed. 

And we won’t necessarily see the plan come together in one off-season. So while I will undoubtedly have an opinion on what I feel the direction is and on if I think the FO is doing the right thing, I won’t judge them until we see how the plan bears fruit. 

Of course… if we come back with the same OL next year I’m all the way out :ols:

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Just with Josh Harris' history of building pro teams I would expect us to suck real bad next year. He will be in it for the long haul. We are going to get very young all over the roster. And I am fine with that. Prioritize the draft over everything else. That is how you build a dynasty.

16 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

Yeah, I did get a good laugh at your Sam Howell 2.0 comp :) I see it too BUT Bo's ceiling is way higher for me.

I dont hate Nix. But he cant sniff Sam's arm. Nix has an average at best arm imo. Sam has a cannon. 

5 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

What would/should the Bears expect in a trade for Justin Fields? 

I'm asking because to get Fields in a trade, if it doesn't cost too much, and to use our top 4 on another position would be a dream scenario. 

Would you want to pay Fields what he is going to cost though? I wouldnt. 

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Would you want to pay Fields what he is going to cost though? I wouldnt. 

Fields still has one year left on his rookie contract and he's still in that prove it stage. He balls out, he's getting paid. He doesn't, he's not getting a huge contract. 

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

For Fields? I’d rather just keep the pick and stick with Sam.

I see Fields being a lot better than Sam with better coaching than he had in Chicago. I can easily see Fields being as good as Hurts. Sam gives me career backup vibes. 

If you nail the HC/QB combo, you're gonna at least be competitive right away. Look at the Texans. Even the Colts, Steichen looks like the real deal as coach and they're winning games with Gardner freaking Minshew. Siriani made the playoffs his first year coaching. Ditto McDaniel. Both coaches were paired with young QBs and grew together.

If we get a combo like Ben Johnson and Jaden Daniels, then its within the realm of possibility this team wins 9 games next year. This notion that you have to suck for three years is antiquated. The NFL is a league of quick turnarounds if you get the right people.

• Like 2

Just now, Warhead36 said:

If you nail the HC/QB combo, you're gonna at least be competitive right away. Look at the Texans. Even the Colts, Steichen looks like the real deal as coach and they're winning games with Gardner freaking Minshew. Siriani made the playoffs his first year coaching. Ditto McDaniel. Both coaches were paired with young QBs and grew together.

If we get a combo like Ben Johnson and Jaden Daniels, then its within the realm of possibility this team wins 9 games next year. This notion that you have to suck for three years is antiquated. The NFL is a league of quick turnarounds if you get the right people.

You have said this "suck for three years" thing a few times now.

Maybe I've missed it. But who has said that? Do you have examples?

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

You have said this "suck for three years" thing a few times now.

Maybe I've missed it. But who has said that? Do you have examples?

There have been posters who have said "we need to suck for the next 3-5 years and rebuild". I don't know their exact names. I don't think its any of the regulars, but you'll find them across different threads.

Its not a majority of people but its a loud enough minority.

• Like 1

IMO, I think we might be discounting that Sam may have hit his 1st "full season" rookie wall especially with the beat down he's gotten in games. 

Couple that with shouldering this offenses woes,  I can't blame him for looking spooked.

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/washington-commanders-sam-howell-carson-wentz-los-angeles-rams

Howell has been up and down as the Commanders' quarterback, throwing for 3,466 yards, 18 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. The second-year quarterback has hit a wall in Washington's last three games, throwing just one touchdown compared to five interceptions, with three being returned for touchdowns. 

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Just with Josh Harris' history of building pro teams I would expect us to suck real bad next year. He will be in it for the long haul. We are going to get very young all over the roster. And I am fine with that. Prioritize the draft over everything else. That is how you build a dynasty.

Yeah I think the offseason will be interesting. We might have the best end of 100mil in cap space, but will the plan actually involve attacking FA heavily in 2024 ?

2 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

IMO, I think we might be discounting that Sam may have hit his 1st "full season" rookie wall especially with the beat down he's gotten in games. 

Couple that with shouldering this offenses woes,  I can't blame him for looking spooked.

I agree, and coming out of the game against the Rams I was expecting a bit more discussion around QB being our pick in the 1st, but seems most (at least in DC sports media) are not banging that drum yet. It will entirely depend on the new FO, which has been talked about ad nauseum in here. 

I think of the three scenarios, there's still a decent likelihood that the rebuild starts with keeping Sam as the QB for 2024. Build the team around him, see if he is the guy, and then address QB in the future. There are too many unknowns with this team to say for certainty that the new FO will target QB early. It has to be the right QB, under the right HC, with a FO that is all-in on that prospect. The "easiest" path to a re-build could center on Sam in 2024. Which is why I still think it is not a given that we draft QB in the Top 5. In fact, I would put a higher percentage on us trading that pick, especially if it continues to climb higher. 

Although if we do get to #2, there's a real good chance the pick is Drake Maye. 

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

Yeah I think the offseason will be interesting. We might have the best end of 100mil in cap space, but will the plan actually involve attacking FA heavily in 2024 ?

My guess is 2024 FA cycle is full of upside, mid-tier signings, with the goal of rolling that cap space into 2025 when we can be more surgical and aggressive after building the first layer in the 2024 draft. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I agree, and coming out of the game against the Rams I was expecting a bit more discussion around QB being our pick in the 1st, but seems most (at least in DC sports media) are not banging that drum yet. It will entirely depend on the new FO, which has been talked about ad nauseum in here. 

I think of the three scenarios, there's still a decent likelihood that the rebuild starts with keeping Sam as the QB for 2024. Build the team around him, see if he is the guy, and then address QB in the future. There are too many unknowns with this team to say for certainty that the new FO will target QB early. It has to be the right QB, under the right HC, with a FO that is all-in on that prospect. The "easiest" path to a re-build could center on Sam in 2024. Which is why I still think it is not a given that we draft QB in the Top 5. In fact, I would put a higher percentage on us trading that pick, especially if it continues to climb higher. 

Although if we do get to #2, there's a real good chance the pick is Drake Maye. 

I definitely agree its not a given.  And if the FO believes Sam is the guy, they absolutely should trade down if they end with pick 2 or something like that.  But that all hinges on the fact they think Sam can be the guy.  Sure the rebuild will get off the ground quicker if they can build around Sam, but the ultimate goal of the rebuild is to build a team that is a Superbowl contender year in and year out like the Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, Eagles, and even teams like the Cowboys.  And in order to do that you have to have the QB.  Its more important that the rebuild be successful rather than get off to a quick start in my opinion, so everything hinges on their take on Howell.  For example the Lions had a quick rebuild, but I kind of feel like we don't know if it will be successful.  They chose to stick with Goff and doing so allowed them to become a playoff team sooner, but the goal is not to become a playoff team for a year or two but to build a stable super bowl contender.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I definitely agree its not a given.  And if the FO believes Sam is the guy, they absolutely should trade down if they end with pick 2 or something like that.  But that all hinges on the fact they think Sam can be the guy.  Sure the rebuild will get off the ground quicker if they can build around Sam, but the ultimate goal of the rebuild is to build a team that is a Superbowl contender year in and year out like the Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, Eagles, and even teams like the Cowboys.  And in order to do that you have to have the QB.  Its more important that the rebuild be successful rather than get off to a quick start in my opinion, so everything hinges on their take on Howell.  For example the Lions had a quick rebuild, but I kind of feel like we don't know if it will be successful.  They chose to stick with Goff and doing so allowed them to become a playoff team sooner, but the goal is not to become a playoff team for a year or two but to build a stable super bowl contender.

100% agree. However, all those teams you mentioned were pretty well built when they got their QB, which is why I wonder if the "right" model is to build the team, add the QB, and go from there. Just look at some of the early-round draft picks. Bryce Young is struggling. That team was not built, in fact, it was stripped in order to get him at #1. Zach Wilson was put behind a bad OL. Justin Fields was put on a pretty bad team. CJ Stroud may be the one example of turning a team around on his own, essentially, with the right coach. 

Chiefs had a great team and were on the precipice with Alex Smith. They traded up for Mahomes at #10.

The Bills were a solid team and drafted Josh Allen at #7, and built around him though the team certainly wasn't terrible.

The Eagles were built around Carston Wentz and had recently won a super bowl. They drafted Hurts in the 2nd.

The Cowboys were built around Tony Romo and were a perennial underachieving but good team. They got Prescott in the 4th.

The 49ers were a well-built team and went all-in on Trey Lance by trading up. Luckily for them, they struck gold with Purdy in the 7th.

Whether Howell is or is not the future at QB, if we are truly stripping down for a re-build, which sounds likely, I would think the goal would be to suck it up for a year or two and be bad ... all while adding through the draft. Meaning the priority will be to acquire and accumulate draft picks and young, cheap talent. 

The path that might make the most sense is to build the team around Howell in the short-term. You have him for 2 more years on a cheap contract. If he's not the answer, you simply do not extend him. So while many of us wonder if 2025 is the QB draft class to circle if not 2024, it could be the 2026 draft. And it might not be a 1st round pick. It very well could be lucking into someone in Round 2 like Jalen Hurts, this year or next year.

IF that is the strategy, then I think it's much more likely that we go the trade back route versus drafting someone like Jayden Daniels at #3 or #4. Just a hunch.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The path that might make the most sense is to build the team around Howell in the short-term. You have him for 2 more years on a cheap contract. If he's not the answer, you simply do not extend him. So while many of us wonder if 2025 is the QB draft class to circle if not 2024, it could be the 2026 draft. And it might not be a 1st round pick. It very well could be lucking into someone in Round 2 like Jalen Hurts, this year or next year.

That logic just doesn't work. You're going nowhere until you find your QB. Your window never even opens. There is no guarantee we'll have a shot at a QB in 2026. We'll just be wasting the next two seasons.

Draft a QB top 5 this year and pair him with a top notch offensive mind and lets get this thing started. Anything else is just wasting time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont hate Nix. But he cant sniff Sam's arm. Nix has an average at best arm imo. Sam has a cannon. 

Meh, watch his game against USC, I think it was USC anyway, Nix threw a great go-route pass and another 50 plus for a TD. I'm taking all into consideration this time around with these guys. I know there are rumblings Oregon's offense was curtailed because of his lack of intermediate and deep passing ability but he is capable of doing it. I think Nix is being undervalued personally.

Nix is another older guy. Will be 24 at the start of his rookie season.

That's one big downside I have with this year's QB class. They're all on the older side. Daniels and Penix jr will also be 24 at some point in their rookie season.

One of the reasons I'm high on Maye is that he'll be 22 his rookie year. Those extra two years are huge.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That logic just doesn't work. You're going nowhere until you find your QB. Your window never even opens. There is no guarantee we'll have a shot at a QB in 2026. We'll just be wasting the next two seasons.

Draft a QB top 5 this year and pair him with a top notch offensive mind and lets get this thing started. Anything else is just wasting time.

I get that. But if the new FO comes in with a long leash for a full re-build, they may see the path to success modeling after those that have already done it, which is to build the team and add the QB later. Once you draft your QB, your 5 year clock starts ticking. The new FO might prefer to start that 5 year clock of the rookie QB until more pieces are in place, because you can waste 1-2 years minimum trying to build around the rookie QB. 

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I get that. But if the new FO comes in with a long leash for a full re-build, they may see the path to success modeling after those that have already done it, which is to build the team and add the QB later. Once you draft your QB, your 5 year clock starts ticking. The new FO might prefer to start that 5 year clock of the rookie QB until more pieces are in place, because you can waste 1-2 years minimum trying to build around the rookie QB. 

If you wait 3 years then those young players are already 3 years into their rookie deals and will be in need of extensions. You won't be able to keep everyone. And you're wasting the prime years of guys like McLaurin, Allen, Payne etc.

When you have a shot at a top notch QB you have to go for it. I don't want us to repeat the same mistake we made in 2020 when we passed on not one, not two, but three franchise QB types(maybe four if Love pans out)to take a DE who hasn't even 10 sacks in a year yet and got traded for a 3rd round pick 3 years later.

Get the QB and lets try to actually be a competitive team in modern football.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1