Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I've talked myself into wanting Chop Robinson at 40. I think its the ideal spot to grab him and he's the prototypical Dan Quinn LB/DE Edge hybrid type guy.

There are just so many WRs that if we can't get McConkey, I'm fine with basically whomever in round 3. 

I think my dream scenario now is somehow Fashanu drops to 23 and we move up 36 and 67 to get him, take Chop Robinson at 40, and best WR left with our other 3rd.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I've talked myself into wanting Chop Robinson at 40. I think its the ideal spot to grab him and he's the prototypical Dan Quinn LB/DE Edge hybrid type guy.

There are just so many WRs that if we can't get McConkey, I'm fine with basically whomever in round 3. 

I think my dream scenario now is somehow Fashanu drops to 23 and we move up 36 and 67 to get him, take Chop Robinson at 40, and best WR left with our other 3rd.

I'd be absolutely blown away if Chop is there in the second. 

I also don't like moving up for an OT in a draft with potential starters on day 3. 

• Thumb up 1

Been watching a lot more mid round type prospects because of all my mid round picks in the board's draft mock. Sadly my teams in that draft don't have much as to high picks but have plenty of mid rounders.

This dude was already taken but really liked watching him.

Good fit I think to Quinn's defense.  Can play single high.  True FS.  4.4 speed.   And the dude is aggressive.  Had 4 picks.  But saw him just miss some others jumping routes.  He strikes me the kind of guy Dallas liked under Quinn.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another dude who I think fits the defense well for the opposite side of the spectrum of Taylor-Demerson is James Williams.  The other safety from the U.

Reminds me a little of Chinn.  Oversized safety-LB hybrid type.  Chinn tackles and blitzes better IMO.  But Williams has some potential on that front and is more fluid in coverage than Chinn IMO.

Don't love him.  But like him in the midrounds. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Another dude who I think fits the defense well for the opposite side of the spectrum of Taylor-Demerson is James Williams.  The other safety from the U.

Reminds me a little of Chinn.  Oversized safety-LB hybrid type.  Chinn tackles and blitzes better IMO.  But Williams has some potential on that front and is more fluid in coverage than Chinn IMO.

You definitely notice him when watching any Miami games. He makes his presence felt, loudly.

I’ve seen Dad Taylor-Demerson climbing the boards steadily over the last month or so, he’s got some helium. Based on your take on him, I’d wager the lack of legit post safeties is making him a fairly hot commodity. Definitely a need for a Quinn defense. Maybe at 78 or 100?

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

Another mid round good fit to this defense IMO, Kris Abrams-Draine.  Ball hawk.  Can play man even though he's a bit undersized. 4.4 speed.  Feisty-sticky in coverage.

Aggressive against the run though he misses some tackles, was fun to see him chase Daniels multiple times in open field, he was hit and miss on that front.

I don't want to litter the thread with more quick observations like that in a row.  But those are three secondary players that feel mid roundish appeal to me, all of whom went before my pick when I was coping them out so they stick in my head perhaps more.  Draine might go higher.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I love Chop. Did is explosive as hell off the ball. But I just don’t see him there in the second for us.

You dont think hell be available or you dont think we should tske him?

What is the ceiling on Fashanu?  To me that determines whether he is worth trading up for.  If it's good starter who is the OT equivalent of Daron or Terry, AKA a Brian O'Neill, Laremy Tunsil, or Eric Fisher, then that's not worth trading up for IMO.  Someone who might make two or even three probowls and have a high water mark of ~11 AV and PFF grades in the upper 70s with maybe an 80 season during his prime.

But if his ceiling is much higher, like a  Tyron Smith or Tristan Wirfs, where the high watermark is 13-15 AV seasons and potential All Pro selections, then that is obviously worth both our seconds.

Zierlein compares him to Cam Robinson, and if that's who he becomes, that's not even worth 36.  So hopefully that isn't an accurate look at his ceiling.

My team building theory is that, to create a true contender, you need about three or four genuinely special players who are dominant and capable of being named to All Pro teams as your core, and bonus points if one of them is a QB.  These are guys who are worth market setting second and third contracts and define the identity of your team.  Examples are what the Chiefs have in Mahomes/Jones/Kelce and Thuney/Hill, what the Rams had in Stafford/Donald/Kupp, what the Eagles had in Cox/Johnson/Kelce, what the 9ers have in Trent/Warner/Bosa/McCaffrey/Deebo/Kittle, what the Ravens have had by turns with Jackson/Yanda/Stanley/Humphrey, or last year with Jackson/Roquan/Madubuike.

Then once you have that core, you need about ten other starters who are legitimately good, of the level of players like Terry, Cosmi, and Daron.  This is your supporting cast, and it needs to be full of genuine quality.  But when these guys are your very best players and biggest contracts, then it means you aren't good enough to match up with the real contenders.

When I look at our roster, the only guy with the talent and upside to be a foundation level player is Allen.  Maybe Cosmi takes another huge step forward next season and gets there, but I doubt it.  So who are the players that we can get in this draft that are good bets to reach that level, and get us to having three elite players with All Pro upside on the roster?

Drake Maye for one.  After him, the only bets I'd take are trade ups for Brock Bowers or Jared Verse.  IMO they are safe bets to become All Pro caliber players, but I'm skeptical that they drop far enough to be in trade up range.

After them, I could see one of the big four corners reaching that level, but I'm not sure which one is the best bet to do it who will also drop into trade up range.  The top three WRs are all good bets, but none of them will drop IMO.  Would we be willing to make that bet on Brian Thomas?

Unless someone uber special drops, or we have a really great feeling about Brian Thomas or one of the corners, then we should just stay put with our seconds and try and find gems.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Another mid round good fit to this defense IMO, Kris Abrams-Draine.  Ball hawk.  Can play man even though he's a bit undersized. 4.4 speed.  Feisty-sticky in coverage.

Aggressive against the run though he misses some tackles, was fun to see him chase Daniels multiple times in open field, he was hit and miss on that front.

I don't want to litter the thread with more quick observations like that in a row.  But those are three secondary players that feel mid roundish appeal to me, all of whom went before my pick when I was coping them out so they stick in my head perhaps more.  Draine might go higher.

Abrams-Draine is a big favorite of mine. I actually think he’s better than Rakestraw — or at the very least, their prospect value is comparable. Which, to shamelessly steal your terminology, means I’d have Rakestraw at least half a peg lower than consensus and Abrams-Draine half a peg higher. I think they should both be slotting in the late R2 area.

The thing that’s most promising to me about him is that he’s a pretty recently converted WR, which speaks to ball skills and speaks to the potential for continued growth from a technique/savvy standpoint. Smooth mover, competitive on contested balls…if he was 15 pounds heavier, I’d probably have him on the fringes of the R1 group.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Im not packaging both 36 and 40 to move up and would only package 36 with 67 if it meant Fashanu or Fuaga. 

But I think the best bet is best OT available at 36(someone like Saumatia) and Chop Robinson at 40.

• Like 2

Jaylen Harrell as a late round pass rusher, standing up rusher.   Another dude I like for this team.   He actually looks good backpeddiling into coverage if need be and making open space tackles.  I am gathering that's because he is a former safety.  A 3-4 LB and sounds like we will play some 3-4. 

From a family of athletes.  From reading about him, comes off a hard worker-high intangibles. 

Has one of the highest pass rush win rate in this class via PFF, just short of 20%.   33 plus arms.  4.6 range speed.  Plays with a very high motor. The type of player I like rolling the dice on in the later rounds,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

What is the ceiling on Fashanu?  To me that determines whether he is worth trading up for.  If it's good starter who is the OT equivalent of Daron or Terry, AKA a Brian O'Neill, Laremy Tunsil, or Eric Fisher, then that's not worth trading up for IMO.  Someone who might make two or even three probowls and have a high water mark of ~11 AV and PFF grades in the upper 70s with maybe an 80 season during his prime.

But if his ceiling is much higher, like a  Tyron Smith or Tristan Wirfs, where the high watermark is 13-15 AV seasons and potential All Pro selections, then that is obviously worth both our seconds.

Zierlein compares him to Cam Robinson, and if that's who he becomes, that's not even worth 36.  So hopefully that isn't an accurate look at his ceiling.

My team building theory is that, to create a true contender, you need about three or four genuinely special players who are dominant and capable of being named to All Pro teams as your core, and bonus points if one of them is a QB.  These are guys who are worth market setting second and third contracts and define the identity of your team.  Examples are what the Chiefs have in Mahomes/Jones/Kelce and Thuney/Hill, what the Rams had in Stafford/Donald/Kupp, what the Eagles had in Cox/Johnson/Kelce, what the 9ers have in Trent/Warner/Bosa/McCaffrey/Deebo/Kittle, what the Ravens have had by turns with Jackson/Yanda/Stanley/Humphrey, or last year with Jackson/Roquan/Madubuike.

Then once you have that core, you need about ten other starters who are legitimately good, of the level of players like Terry, Cosmi, and Daron.  This is your supporting cast, and it needs to be full of genuine quality.  But when these guys are your very best players and biggest contracts, then it means you aren't good enough to match up with the real contenders.

When I look at our roster, the only guy with the talent and upside to be a foundation level player is Allen.  Maybe Cosmi takes another huge step forward next season and gets there, but I doubt it.  So who are the players that we can get in this draft that are good bets to reach that level, and get us to having three elite players with All Pro upside on the roster?

Drake Maye for one.  After him, the only bets I'd take are trade ups for Brock Bowers or Jared Verse.  IMO they are safe bets to become All Pro caliber players, but I'm skeptical that they drop far enough to be in trade up range.

After them, I could see one of the big four corners reaching that level, but I'm not sure which one is the best bet to do it who will also drop into trade up range.  The top three WRs are all good bets, but none of them will drop IMO.  Would we be willing to make that bet on Brian Thomas?

Unless someone uber special drops, or we have a really great feeling about Brian Thomas or one of the corners, then we should just stay put with our seconds and try and find gems.

I'm leaning towards your POV GC for this draft.  If Jordan Morgan drops to 36, then fine draft him.  I'm not trading up and sacrificing any of our 3rds to get a LT.  Might as well sign a stopgap like DJ Humphries (whom Kliff knows) when he gets healthy or Donovan Smith to play LT this year.  Next year's first is probably slotted to be either LT or edge IMO anyways.

The one guy I can see as a boom/bust is Tez Walker.  He's probably going to be there at 36 considering the big 4 WRs will be gone, and I see Worthy most likely going above him as well.  I like Tez more than Mitchell honestly.

Latu could also slip, but that's purely on medicals.

Edited by mhd24

I am somewhere in between the two sides on Tez.  He's for me in that middle category, where I don't get jazzed watching him, don't hate him either.  I like spurts.  Don't like other spurts.  Somewhere in the middle of that.

No way I'd take him early than the third round if I took him.  the other receivers that feel like that to me are:  Coleman, Franklin, A. Mitchell. J. Wilson.  I can see it going either way with them, and its really hard for me to land on a take with them.    If I had t take one in that group it would be Coleman -- he's lethal on crossers in the 2nd level.

For me in that 2nd round range:  McConkey who has been my guy since mid college season last year is my fav still in that range. Then Pearsall then R. Wilson as high floor WRs.

If Burton didn't have that combustible personality he'd be right there with those three for me.  Legette I think next -- he has some boom-bust to him too but I'd bet boom.  Polk would be for me in that group too if he didn't have that pedestrian 4.52 40 time. 

I know some here love Corley.  I like him.  Tough for me to love him because to me he's seems so about those first level-YAC plays -- not seen enough on other fronts for me to be sold on him as an all around WR but I am OK with rolling the dice if its the third.

I like Wilson the best of the boom-bust third round WRs.  He has had bursts where he is the super high volume workhorse in the passing game.  Tez does too, but the drops and inconsistent competitiveness are pretty worrisome to me.

IMO Mitchell and Coleman are too frequently just spectators in their offense.  I think those guys will be disappointments at the next level.

• Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I like Wilson the best of the boom-bust third round WRs.  He has had bursts where he is the super high volume workhorse in the passing game.  Tez does too, but the drops and inconsistent competitiveness are pretty worrisome to me.

IMO Mitchell and Coleman are too frequently just spectators in their offense.  I think those guys will be disappointments at the next level.

Say all the big OL prospects are gone (Alt, Fuaga, Fashanu, Fautano, Mimms, Guyton, Barton, JPJ, and Morgan) and the big 5 DBs (Arnold, Mitchell, Wiggins, Dejean, Kool-Aid) before 36, who are you targeting GC?

I'm almost considering trading down at 36 to acquire a pick in next year's draft (ideally a 3rd).  WR is pretty deep this year.  I don't love any of the secondary players after the big 5.  Ditto the tackles.  I figure 5 edges (Turner, Verse, Latu, Chop, Robinson) & two DTs (Murphy, Newton) are gone before 36 as well.  Maybe someone trades up for Cooper (considered as LB1)?

We all love Peyton Wilson's film, but his injury history makes him not draft able until mid to late 2nd IMO.  Sweat looks the part, but his weight issues scare me IMO.

While I am confident that we have a group of coaches who can efficiently elevate the play of any quarterback we draft, I'm not as confident about our O-line coaching. That said, I don't think we're going to have enough ammo to trade up for Alt, Fashanu, or Fuaga, who seem most ready and talented. Trading up for Latham or Fautanu may prove difficult as well. They seem like solid if not great picks who would be ready to go sooner than later. That leaves Mims and Guyton as the remaining tackles likely to be taken between picks 18 and 24. I expect Suamatia and Morgan to be taken between picks 30 and 36. These last four prospects all need development. As does Patrick Paul, who is the next most promising tackle on my list. On the video I've been able to watch (not extensive) of these last five candidates, Mims seems to be the most athletic, natural talent, but I'm not confident that he can stay healthy. Morgan seems to be the most technically sound, but he doesn't flash anything special. He looks like Leno to me. Guyton and Suamatia will need development, but they flash. Paul seems to lumber, but he's huge. With all of this in mind, I'm against trading up because I have lingering questions about all of the tackles we would be most likely to get. I think there's a fair chance that Suamatia and/or Morgan will be available at 36. If not, then we should think about grabbing Paul at 36 or 40. After that, there seems to be a number of serviceable right tackles that will be available in rounds 3 and 5 (Fisher, Rosengarten, Amegadjie, C. Jones, Puni, Goncalves, C. Wallace, J. Foster). I would definitely take 2 tackles in the draft, with the hope of hitting on at least one who can play tackle and the other who could be moved to guard if needed.

Edited by dswerdlw

28 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Say all the big OL prospects are gone (Alt, Fuaga, Fashanu, Fautano, Mimms, Guyton, Barton, JPJ, and Morgan) and the big 5 DBs (Arnold, Mitchell, Wiggins, Dejean, Kool-Aid) before 36, who are you targeting GC?

I'm almost considering trading down at 36 to acquire a pick in next year's draft (ideally a 3rd).  WR is pretty deep this year.  I don't love any of the secondary players after the big 5.  Ditto the tackles.  I figure 5 edges (Turner, Verse, Latu, Chop, Robinson) & two DTs (Murphy, Newton) are gone before 36 as well.  Maybe someone trades up for Cooper (considered as LB1)?

We all love Peyton Wilson's film, but his injury history makes him not draft able until mid to late 2nd IMO.  Sweat looks the part, but his weight issues scare me IMO.

Is D Robinson still available in this scenario?  I think I would target either him or Ladd.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading down at all.  I like T'Vondre Sweat and Jonah Elliss and Bralen Trice in the 50s.  I also like Kiran Amegadjie and Patrick Paul and Kingsley Suamataia and Blake Fisher in this range too.

• Like 1

Corley is like a Deebo 2.0 and I think Kingsbury could do some cool things with him.

Coleman kills the middle of the field. Paired with Maye, an excellent middle of the field, could make for some great synergy.

36 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Is D Robinson still available in this scenario?  I think I would target either him or Ladd.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading down at all.  I like T'Vondre Sweat and Jonah Elliss and Bralen Trice in the 50s.  I also like Kiran Amegadjie and Patrick Paul and Kingsley Suamataia and Blake Fisher in this range too.

Yeah, I have Robinson gone in my scenario.  I figure Robinson's range starts at Philly (22) all the way to Zona at 34.  Right now I have roughly the top 35 going (in no particular order):

QBs (5):  Caleb, Drake, Jayden, JJ, Penix (someone (like Vegas) trades up for him)

TE (1):  Bowers

WR (6):  MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Thomas, Worthy, Mitchell

OT (8):  Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Fautanu, Latham, Mimms, Guyton, Morgan

IOL (2):  Barton, JPJ

Edge (5):  Turner, Verse, Latu, Chop, Robinson

DT (2):  Murphy, Newton

LB (1):  Cooper

DB (5):  Arnold, Mitchell, Wiggins, Dejean, Kool-aid

Now, would some others potentially replace some (Ladd going instead of either Texas WR for example)?  Certainly, but this is the range of players I have.  For example, I think it's a given Carolina takes a WR at 33 considering NE and us could take one before their other 2nd.  They will want their choice at that spot.    

I don't think I'm missing anyone from the top 35.

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Corley is like a Deebo 2.0 and I think Kingsbury could do some cool things with him.

Coleman kills the middle of the field. Paired with Maye, an excellent middle of the field, could make for some great synergy.

Corley might be Deebo 2, might not be.  Been a long time since I watched college Deebo.  But I know the NFL version is more well rounded than current college version of Corley.

5.5 average depth per target for Corley.  Of the 30 WRs i am compiling stats for that's the lowest number -- with most of these guys having double Corley's number. 

I know am not an outlier on this point, was watching Brugler with a host of others talk about Corley in this context -- as to it being a bit of a mystery if Corely ends up an all round threat in the NFL versus a first level WCO YAC type.  Not saying he doesn't become that all around guy.  But its a bit of a projection. 

There is a play here where you could use 36 and 40 on non OTs and trade 2 3rds to move back into the second to have 3rd 2nd round pick to work with. 

It’d be very hard to say no to Kool Aid if he is available at 36

On 4/4/2024 at 6:03 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Freakish ability, I was really impressed with how he moved for a big dude like that.  Super high intangibles from what I read, too.  I'd be shocked if he doesn't go in the first.  I'd easily take him over Guyton.

His tape is also apparently very good in the 7 or so games he did play. Very clear All Pro upside here

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I posted on Williams the other day. He has all the right tools, he processes well at S and has really good instincts. He is young in the LB learning portion and if our staff and Wagner get a hold of him he can be a great mid day three steal of the draft. He is one my favs,

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Knowing we need OT's makes me look at and like Fashanu a lot and love Fuaga. However you are correct, they are not absolute stud LT's and so I (we) need to take a step back on their actual value.

First like @Warhead36states, I too am against trading both 2nd rounders. To trade up it would take one of those selections along with others packaged. My belief is if they do that, Peters then looks to trade back a little with the other 2nd to regain picks lost. 

Fashanu would need to drop into the 20's for this to be feasible. Same go's for Fuaga, I do think Fuaga has Wirfs RT Wirfs potential and have compared him to Wirfs a few times. 

I am not certain any of the other T's are worthy of much of a trade up from 36 unless it was a very short move up. We just can't end up in no where's land when it comes to at least one quality OT in the draft.

• Like 1